StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed on my last ride that the zumo didnt appear to be running from bike power ( its hard wires to the battery) and sure enough half way through the ride I get a low battery warning, with the unit shutting down not long after.
I didnt worry to much about it at the time as I was on my way home and figure it must have blown the fuse.

Once home a little investigation proved the the fuse was intact, and I had power to the fuse atleast, next the power cable was tested and I was able to find power on two of the four pins, but without a wiring schematic I wasnt sure if that was good or bad.
Same goes for the cradle pins found power on one(3rd from the left,front row), but what of the other 12 or so. again a a wiring schematic would have been handy.:headbang:

Decided I'd test the unit in the car cradle, worked fine. atleast that means the unit itself is OK.

Nothing else for it, but ring Garmin.
Explained the problem with the tech support guy, who pretty much agreed that the cradle maybe toast.
it was decided that I should sent them the power cable and cradle for further testing, where they will either repair it or replace it, but they are out of stock of replacement cradles, so lets hope it can be repaired, and that it doesnt take then to long to sort it out and get it back to me.

I dont have a very good feeling about this, have read a few storys on the net about ppl having issues with the cradle especially if they get real wet ( ie when washing the bike), one guy has had 3 cradles in 5 years :yikes: , and at $115 each its not something I want to replace.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The cradle pins need to be treated with a good contact cleaner about once a month. Mine (I've had two 550's, a 660, and a 665) have been working well since I started doing this 3 or 4 years ago (when did they first come out anyway?) In addition to the charging problem, you can have audio problems, XM problems, and whatever else relies on those pins to make reliable connections.

Garmin tech support people on the phone ought to know this, but none of them are real technicians. They read from a script.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cradle pins need to be treated with a good contact cleaner about once a month. Mine (I've had two 550's, a 660, and a 665) have been working well since I started doing this 3 or 4 years ago (when did they first come out anyway?) In addition to the charging problem, you can have audio problems, XM problems, and whatever else relies on those pins to make reliable connections.

Garmin tech support people on the phone ought to know this, but none of them are real technicians. They read from a script.
Thanx tmcgee, I've heard of others using dielectric (sp) grease :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Thanx tmcgee, I've heard of others using dielectric (sp) grease :confused:
That may make the problem worse. It's non-conductive. You want the pins as clean as possible. It's really just road grime and oxidation causing the problem.

Yes, I know the pins are gold plated and gold doesn't oxidize, but the base metal does and it's the salts that migrate to the surface of the gold that are non-conductive.

Personally, I use DeOxit from Caig Labs because I buy it by the case. I'm an electronic field service tech. There are lots of other good choices for doing this particular job.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a common problem. Garmin replaced my cradle within the first year. It's been fine for over two years since then without special treatment.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It's a common problem. Garmin replaced my cradle within the first year. It's been fine for over two years since then without special treatment.
You're charmed, Pat. :yesnod:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am on my second mount in about 2 years. 1st one died after I let my 5 year old "help" me wash the bike (the GPS was off). I almost never take it off, ride plenty in the rain, it lives in a Touratech anti-vibe mount, ride a lot of off and rough roads, and now leave it in the cradle with a plastic bag pulled over it when I wash the bike.

I think the issue is with the cradle's waterproofing when the GPS is not in place.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
My garmin uses a 90 mini usb plug and lately has been loosing power while fully seated. This only happens on rough roads. Usually, I have to pull the mini plug and put it back in to restore power. It's not just the cradle types that are giving problems.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
think the issue is with the cradle's waterproofing when the GPS is not in place.
The issue is that the pin contacts are not the captive type.

I just pulled an old cradle apart. The cradle has active electronics in it and the pin block itself is a single component, surface mounted to the PC board. I am not willing to destroy the pin block to see what is inside it, but the pins are obviously spring loaded and my guess is that solid electrical contact is dependent on spring pressure alone. In other words, looking at the pinblock from the outside in, you have the contact pin, a spring, and then the spring sits on a pad. The other side of the pad gets soldered to the PCB. This design give you more than one place where electrical connection can be erratic if everything is less than squeaky clean.

From Garmin's perspective, this is not a serviceable part and is the reason they replace the whole shebang. From my perspective, I don't feel like rewiring the front end of the bike every time the connections get flakey so I use a contact cleaner/deoxidant to get things reliable again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts