StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Zega Pro's on a '12 or '13 vstrom 650 ...

Any pictures would be appreciated ...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought some to upgrade from the normal TT Zega 35 / 41 litre panniers that I have. Bought them pre-mounted, and the left-hand rear indicator does need the extension piece that comes with the pannier racks. No electrical extension lead for the indicators though. The upside is that the pillion footrest has a little more space now. The zegas have been fitted to a BM R100GS and 1100GS before. I've now got the 38 / 45 litre set up, which only slightly increases the width of the bike compared to the 35 / 41 normal set up.

Not got any photo's of them fitted, anything in particular that would be useful?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just measured the TT racks on my Glee and they're 23" or 585 mm wide, and that's to the outside of the racks, so whatever the width of the zega's are, add that to the 23" / 585 mm. HTH

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I first got my Strom I had planned to use Zega Pro panniers.
But when I discovered how wide they made the bike I decided against it.

In the end I dropped panniers altogether and got a Zega Pro top case instead.

I have later replaced the Zega Pro 38L top case with a Kappa Garda 52 as a could use a bit more storage room.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought some to upgrade from the normal TT Zega 35 / 41 litre panniers that I have. Bought them pre-mounted, and the left-hand rear indicator does need the extension piece that comes with the pannier racks. No electrical extension lead for the indicators though. The upside is that the pillion footrest has a little more space now. The zegas have been fitted to a BM R100GS and 1100GS before. I've now got the 38 / 45 litre set up, which only slightly increases the width of the bike compared to the 35 / 41 normal set up.

Not got any photo's of them fitted, anything in particular that would be useful?
Hi John:

May I please see a side view with your 38/45 mounted? There are no clear pictures to be found that show what a pillion's leg / foot clearance might look like.

How are you liking this setup? Would you do it again, or different? What do you like the most about them? the least about them?

I'm considering the identical setup (38/45) because I would really like being able to travel wih all that available luggage space.

But then, I look at the picture above and wonder about having a fat ass end, or how that affects handling? Lets just say its not a flattering, stylish look, but maybe I dont care, since I want the storage room.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just measured the TT racks on my Glee and they're 23" or 585 mm wide, and that's to the outside of the racks, so whatever the width of the zega's are, add that to the 23" / 585 mm. HTH
OK, good.

So, it's 23" plus (31L: 8", 38L:9.5", 45L: 11.1").

That puts a 38/45L rig at: 23 + 9.5 + 11.1 = 43.6" total width.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
sorry it's too wide for my liking... i cant imagine riding something over 1m or 39.5inch. i tried in the past, you definitely notice the difference in handling, and not just the weight.

The rack in the picture looks like its at least i inch wider on the exhaust side and perhaps 1/2 inch on the other side.

perhaps you can get a custom rack built to take the 2 panniers to keep things narrower.

obviously YMMV.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It does seem pretty wide.

The 31/38 combination would be somewhat narrower.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Jesse Luggage: 8 in. deep cases, with a 35/44 split capacity.

I'm wondering about the effects of wind / air noise at these > 40 in. widths.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Jesse case doe help things to keep it narrow but not every one is a fan of aluminum, top loader and narrow opening deep combination. I also like their slide forward and backward mount.

Holan Pannier is another possibility with exhaust cut its 38L Left and 38L right with exhaust cut (effective 33L) comes in 99cm.
PRO pannier system for DL650 2012 with Nomada PRO II panniers - HOLAN

Pelican/nanuk/duratech/storm cases are another possibilities as the they are narrow but deep (but not to Jesse extent)

-------------

i have fitted aftermarket exhaust so i have 5-6cm spare. i am planning to get someone to alter my existing rack to fit narrower. Whatever cases i put on will be 50mm narrower - this is a good option if you have aftermarket exhaust fitted

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I first got my Strom I had planned to use Zega Pro panniers.
But when I discovered how wide they made the bike I decided against it.

In the end I dropped panniers altogether and got a Zega Pro top case instead.

I have later replaced the Zega Pro 38L top case with a Kappa Garda 52 as a could use a bit more storage room.
This is the way to go - my preference after many years of riding. On the other hand, I consider 52 l top case an overkill for most trips (and especially one day trips), around 35 l is ideal for me. As well, I do bolt the top case solid to the rear rack, I do not use the attachment plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts