StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've really gotten tired of hearing that from my riding buddies and decided to try to fix it. After a little stare time it hit me. The turn signal buckets are black plastic which just soaks up any & all light from the bulb. Ideally the bucket should reflect light like a polished headlight bucket does or the chrome turn signals on cruisers and the like. So I pulled the lens and bulb, put in a sacrifical bulb, masked off the outside of the signal and surrounding parts and spray painted the whole inside of the turn signal with shiny aluminum paint. After the paint dried I re-assembled it and flipped on the 4-way flashers. The difference in visibility between the painted signal and the black signal was amazing! Both rears are done now and I'll fix the front signals later this week.

Ideally, Suzuki should put a little refective disc behind the bulbs on these signals, but in the meantime a shot of spray paint does the trick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen another fix whare you fit mini spot lamps in place of the stock bulbs. I think that's the way I'll go when I get chance to have a look at them. :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
zero_it
Thanks for the info. Something I've never worried about - now I have an excuse for the pills! :shock:

drewgg
Keep us informed. Sounds like an interesting mod.
Maybe you can do something with a paraffin torch and a bar of solder? :D

Al

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Zero_it................like your idea but I am wondering. How well will the paint stick to that plastic housing? Some plastics just defy all attempts to do anything with them. Keep us updated by checking ocassionally to see if the paint stays in place. Suzuki really should have known better to begin with.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A lot of people stick a piece of aluminum foil behind the bulbs to act as a reflector.

·
Registered
187 Posts
An even easier fix is to buy a roll of reflective foil tape. About $4 at your local homer depot or Blowes. One roll will do about 100 v-stroms. Remove the lens, pop-out the bulb and stick the tape to the inside of the black plastic housing. Takes all of 10 minutes for the whole bike an improves the signal brightness about 300%.

·
Registered
640 Posts
JetJaguar said:
A lot of people stick a piece of aluminum foil behind the bulbs to act as a reflector.
That's what I did. I actually glued foil to cups cut from an egg carton and put them in. Works pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Make turn signals for your mirrors :p and of course stick shiny stuff in the housings :)

Click for movie.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
They are mounted in a way that they are in your peripheral vision but not blinding you. I can’t say I've ever left my turn signals on after getting these :)

They are not a issue during the day, and at night they are only a issue if you look directly into them. I've never had a problem with them. That was pretty much my only concern when putting the project together. They are actually pretty cool, being led's they are pretty directional, and you dont get blinded from being next to them. And the farther out you move obviously the more defocused the beam becomes.

It’s excellent on the highways where no one is paying attention, and being so high up they naturally draw attention. The only way I'd improve on the project would be to use double sided LED blocks that allowed the front to also see the turn signal.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm kind of suprised that there isnt a bolt on mirror solution with integrated turn signals available for bikes like ours. Mines effective, however it could be done alot nicer especially if it were molded and wrapped from the front to the back similar to SUV signals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did the "quick fix" aluminum foil deal inside the turn signal housings. I did one signal housing then put it back together and checked it out by using the 4 way flashers to compare it to the signal on the other side. There was a slightly noticeable difference. Not quite enough to convince me that this is the be all, end all solution. I think that I am going to pursue installing LED turn signals after painting the inside of the turn signal housings with aluminum paint to get max reflectivity out of them. In the mean time I foiled the rest of the turn signal housings. Heck, it only took about 10 minutes and like I said, there is a slight improvement so it is better than the "stock" look.

·
Registered
387 Posts
USMC V-STROMMER said:
I did the "quick fix" aluminum foil deal inside the turn signal housings. I did one signal housing then put it back together and checked it out by using the 4 way flashers to compare it to the signal on the other side. There was a slightly noticeable difference. Not quite enough to convince me that this is the be all, end all solution. I think that I am going to pursue installing LED turn signals after painting the inside of the turn signal housings with aluminum paint to get max reflectivity out of them. In the mean time I foiled the rest of the turn signal housings. Heck, it only took about 10 minutes and like I said, there is a slight improvement so it is better than the "stock" look.
My thoughts exactly. Nominal money and time invested for a slight improvment is just fine by me.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I used some 3M reflective tape on the insides of the blinker assemblies. It is quite a bit brighter and visible. I used yellow tape because I couldn't find white, but the yellow works well.

I was out about $8 for the tape and about 30 minutes to cut and fit the tape.

My wife followed me before and after the mod and she said they are much more visible, and this was on a bright sunny day.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Drewgg, excellant find. Those little beauties would do a fine job and a definite plug an play application.I would think they would work as well or better than 50 watt halogen bulbs that I use in the front signals. The sealed reflector would make a big difference. We need some one to try them and report. Hint hint.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts