StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've already put a new rear Mezeler Tourence. This coming winter I'll ride in a relativly cold and wet conditions and I was thinking I want to put a more street & winter oriented tire up front. Specificaly, the Mezeler roadtec 01.
I was wondering if there could be a negative effect on grip, using two different tires?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know if anyone could say for sure about mixing. I've mixed before and it's been fine. Given that you are winter riding and not going for spirited rides in the twisties, I'd guess the Tourance would be fine. But I really know nothing about how they handle in wet. I've got only a few miles personally in the nearly new set that came with my bike.

I think the manufacturers narrative is that front and back treads are designed to work togethe. Maybe. But if the Roadtec gives better traction then the Tourance on the front, I doubt it would make things worse on the rear.

Keep in mind I know nothing about tires really and don't mix treads for much of my own riding. But my riding is usually very spirited sport touring. I probably wouldn't hesitate to do what you're talking about. Then again, I'd probably swap the set just because.

·
Administrator
13,564 Posts
Hi, I've already put a new rear Mezeler Tourence. This coming winter I'll ride in a relativly cold and wet conditions and I was thinking I want to put a more street & winter oriented tire up front. Specificaly, the Mezeler roadtec 01.
I was wondering if there could be a negative effect on grip, using two different tires?
I can't speak to the Roadtec but have had great experiences with the Tourance in cold and wet conditions.

Most of the mileage on my Stroms has been on Metzler Tourance (regular model) with the Metzler Next taking over the front about 150,000 km of riding ago and the rear being a mix of Regular and Next since then.(The NEXT is much better on the front of a Strom than the regular Tourance. No headshake.)

In my riding I have ridden with both flavours of Tourance on the front in temperatures down to -18°c/0°f and been very happy with the amount of traction available. This year for the first time I put on a set of Anlas Winter Grip Plus tires and, while they seem to work well, I can't say they are any better than the Tourance's in cold and wet. (I haven't had them on snow yet so that may be a difference.)

..Tom

·
Registered
838 Posts
Last season I put about 10,000 miles on with a Michelin PR4 on the rear and Metzler Sportec M3 on the front and didn't have any issues. IMO mixing and matching is not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If you consider Moto GP any standard of tire choice - they constantly mix match front and rear tire compounds.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Personally I don't mix but that's mainly because I am particular and hate seeing mist matched tires :)

However I believe its fine. I think the main cause for concern is if you run a hard compound up front and a soft rear. That could cause you to "feel" like you have grip right until your front washes out. However a soft front and hard rear are super common

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Under "normal" riding, the front tire doesn't know or care what tire is on the rear. My goal for tires is longevity and I found of all the rears, Anakee 3's got the best mileage (14k). Best front tire so far has been Battlewing (18k and still looking good when I sold the bike). The Anakee 3 front, on the other hand was done at 9k miles. YMMV.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Front grip

Over the years I have mixed tyres, the most important thing is that the front has more or equal grip than the back. A slipping back end is not so life threatening. In my youth the cost of the tyre was the most important thing, I only had my bike bike for transport so keeping it road legal was essential, looks and best behavior secondary. These days I can afford best quality matching sets of tyres. You pays your money you makes your choice.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You don't have a choice do ya? Front and rear are different sizes...ergo mixed.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to using different brand on the same bike at the same time with some limitations.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Under "normal" riding, the front tire doesn't know or care what tire is on the rear. My goal for tires is longevity and I found of all the rears, Anakee 3's got the best mileage (14k). Best front tire so far has been Battlewing (18k and still looking good when I sold the bike). The Anakee 3 front, on the other hand was done at 9k miles. YMMV.
In agree Anakee 3 in the rear. In my case heidenau k76 front.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Main means of travel since 1973 and have often mixed brands on ends due to all ways get two to one wear on a front but for the 1984 FXST Harley softtail. First year for soft tail and it came with a 21 front. Looked nice with the tall slim tire and long spokes so nice in the sun way out in front with the lots of rake. They wore out as fast as rear.
On my Wee bought for the DeadHorse,Alaska trip took of stock and put on a set of Tourance.Word was they got good miles and this was a 10,300 trip. They made it really good and replaced rear week after back but front went a lot longer. Liked them so well its all I have ran and now have 61,000 on it.
Friends with Vstrom have went to more off road brands that get even more miles but some sure make a racket on the high way. I don't go looking for gravel as some of them do. Like the idea what I have is a bit better than stock if I have to ride a few miles of gravel in lots of the out of the way places we often end up in on out of state runs.:wink2:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,244 Posts
What they said. For nearly 7 months this year, I had a mixed set of Shinko 705 in the front, Heidenau K60 Scout in the back.

Absolutely solid combination.

When the Shinko succumbed to cupping (probably due to running pressure too low), I replaced it with a front Heidenau K60 Scout, because I was so impressed with the longevity of the rear Heidenau.

No kidding - I have nearly 5000 miles on that rear Heidenau now, but it's worn only a few 1/32's. Should last another 5000 easily.

I didn't especially insist on matching front and rear tires out of principle, but it was an easy choice to match once I had ridden the rear Heidenau. Together I have two very nice tires for dirt riding, which I do regularly.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm a member of the mix-n-match club too. I currently have a Shinko 707 on the rear and the stock BW on the front of my 2012 Wee.

The front is up for replacement this winter. I may swap to the Shinko 707 front as well, because I've been happy with the rear. But it will really all depend on what I can find that's the best value for my money when I start shopping.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I'm running a Heidenau K76 on the front and a K60 on the rear. The K60 is toast and sliding all over the place in the winter wet. It was a nice tire new, but not so much now. All in all, my experience with Heidenaus is when they're done, they're done and it's rather sudden.

Picking up a Shinko rear tomorrow. First time trying them. Not concerned about mixing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts