StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's traditional to list all your mods/farkles in your signature. But to those who do so, I ask: have you ever tried to do a search on one of those farkles? Even using the preferred "site:stromtrooper.com" google search turns up lots of completely irrelevant results, because the search terms appear in someone's (or several someones) signature. It's even worse if one of those people posts several times in one thread, thus littering it with keywords that likely have nothing to do with the thread! :headbang:

Of course we all want to express ourselves, and I don't want to shut that down, but sig lines listing every damn thing you have added to your bike make the forum less useful.

/rant

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I know it's traditional to list all your mods/farkles in your signature. But to those who do so, I ask: have you ever tried to do a search on one of those farkles? Even using the preferred "site:stromtrooper.com" google search turns up lots of completely irrelevant results, because the search terms appear in someone's (or several someones) signature. It's even worse if one of those people posts several times in one thread, thus littering it with keywords that likely have nothing to do with the thread! :headbang:

Of course we all want to express ourselves, and I don't want to shut that down, but sig lines listing every damn thing you have added to your bike make the forum less useful.

/rant
Who says it's tradition? It's something that got started in the past couple of years somehow, and it is rather annoying. There are people who list absolutely, positively everything that has ever been done to their bike including the type of oil they run. Many times their signature is longer than their posts and we get to see it every single time they post something. Over and over and over and over.

·
Registered
381 Posts

/rant
I never was sure why everyone did it but just went along, but if it's messing up searches I'm happy to delete. Maybe if there is a good use for the list, like helping a new owner decide on accessories, then maybe there could be a separate tab on the profiles?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Leaving what you ride in the signature does help when questions are posted since people can tell what bike one rides. When I started here 4 years ago the signature was typically just that. Who you are, where you are, what you ride.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Leaving what you ride in the signature does help when questions are posted since people can tell what bike one rides. When I started here 4 years ago the signature was typically just that. Who you are, where you are, what you ride.
Good points raised here with regard to sigs.

SCraig, you have a good point too so maybe there is a balance on what we should put.

I will edit my sig. when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on listing your bike model.
And yeah, I guess tradition isn't really the right word. How about: "widespread counterproductive phenomenon on this and other forums that seems to be spreading like a cancer" :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many times their signature is longer than their posts and we get to see it every single time they post something. Over and over and over and over.
Heh, I'm guilty of that. When I first added the quote I have, I made the text small so at least it doesn't take up as much space on the page. Hopefully no one is trying to search for info on shipwrecks or piano tops on this site...

I have been looking for a shorter quote, but haven't found one I like as much as the one I have. Maybe I'll just go nekkid for a while.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The Monkey is correct. :yesnod:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Out of courtesy, I'll list all my farkles in Pig Latin.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
See now, I'm wondering why the hell a forum search would search people's signature lines, anyway. Signatures are not part of the post itself, but inserted into the text displayed when you view a forum posting. If you change your signature now, that will be reflected in every post you've ever made, so clearly it is meta-text.

And after a little testing, my finding is that the forum search tool does not pickup up stuff from signature lines, but a Google search does.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is can easily be fixed by only allowing signatures visible to members that are logged on. It would be blank for visitors. It would take about 30 days for the good bot to spider everything. I do this stuff for a living. ez fix.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See now, I'm wondering why the hell a forum search would search people's signature lines, anyway. Signatures are not part of the post itself, but inserted into the text displayed when you view a forum posting. If you change your signature now, that will be reflected in every post you've ever made, so clearly it is meta-text.

And after a little testing, my finding is that the forum search tool does not pickup up stuff from signature lines, but a Google search does.
All true. I meant "searches of the forum," not "built-in forum search." I haven't used the built-in search in at least a year because of its various limitations.

snoop said:
This is can easily be fixed by only allowing signatures visible to members that are logged on. It would be blank for visitors. It would take about 30 days for the good bot to spider everything.
Great idea! What say ye, O Keepers of the Forum?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts