StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Except for first gear which is short as hell the bike seems very similar in power and transmission to my old GS750 which I still ride.

It has a lot more usable low rpm power than the gs so there is a lot less shifting in twisties if you want to take them easy but I find, IMHO that it feels best just going down the street at close to 5000 rpm. Round town just running errands I kinda dig anywhere between 4500 and 5000 once settled in.

Curious what other people find their sweet spot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the Suzuki engineers were being playful when they decided the overall sweet spot is 66 mph in 6 gear on the '17 650 xt. Constantly find myself in that 666 triangulation and try to move up or down in speed so I'm not jinxed.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Check your speed against a GPS. 66 on speedo is not going to actually be 66 mph. So don't worry about Beelzebub.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
I went up 1 tooth on the front sprocket and like Martin 4K or so around town is fine. Then again I find myself up shifting to 6th when freeway flying and thinking, oh, did it again. Wonder how many miles I was in 5th? The bike runs fine in the 4-5-6K rpms.

·
Registered
543 Posts
4 to 5 K for me around town stock gearing for now but will join the 16 tooth front sprocket club when new chain
and cogs are needed. I'm finding this bike can take regular moving right turns in 3rd gear without issues.
And pulls away smartly at that. and 5th gear roll ons are more fun than 6th gear :wink2:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anything above 3000rpm is ok around town I find, below that you need to drop a gear for decent acceleration, fuel economy is good. If I am riding like a ratbag, nothing below 4500rpm, instant rapid acceleration then, fuel economy suffers though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wow you guys keep the revs up, i'm usually around 3000rpm
I learned to ride in the 5 boroughs of N.Y. back in the 70's and then spent some years as a bike being my only means of transport outside of mass transit.

I got in the habit of keeping the rpm's on the twitchy side because I found a quick twist of the wrist got me out of as many issues as did the brakes.

Your crossing a wide intersection in Brooklyn at 2 am and realize the guy coming from your left is not even going to slow down for the red light having some power at the ready was a God send!

Long time ago but still if I am not watching the tach and just riding by ear I find myself on the vee up around 4800. If I am riding on some of the more empty desert roads and think about it then 4000 is more comfortable but does indeed feel weird to me.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I learned to ride in the 5 boroughs of N.Y. back in the 70's and then spent some years as a bike being my only means of transport outside of mass transit.

I got in the habit of keeping the rpm's on the twitchy side because I found a quick twist of the wrist got me out of as many issues as did the brakes.

Your crossing a wide intersection in Brooklyn at 2 am and realize the guy coming from your left is not even going to slow down for the red light having some power at the ready was a God send!

Long time ago but still if I am not watching the tach and just riding by ear I find myself on the vee up around 4800. If I am riding on some of the more empty desert roads and think about it then 4000 is more comfortable but does indeed feel weird to me.
interesting, I had dirt bikes and atv's as a kid but came to motorcycles from driving cars. I didn't ride on the street until I was early 30's and at that point I hadn't been on a dirt bike since about 16. Maybe that's why I tend to keep the RPM's down!

·
Registered
41 Posts
4k feels like the sweet spot, the bike can handle nearly anything from that point, but I'll go to 5k if I've gotta hold speed up a long hill, and I'll stay at 6k if I'm trying to have fun on a twisty road.

3k works ok for easy rides but it feels like the motor struggles if I accelerate with anything more than a very gentle twist of the throttle.

I'm also pretty sure I get close to redline on some of the short highway ramps I use, but I'm not looking at the tach in that situation.

The motor is fantastic, it just works without any fuss and I mix up my riding style all the time and still have a 56mpg average over 10,000 miles!

·
Registered
27 Posts
must be me not used to riding bike, this is my first one with 1 year exp. I switch gear when I'm around 5k, habit with my car to keep the rpm around 3-3.5k both for noise and fuel efficiency

1 - 15 of 15 Posts