StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my Wee 20-30 miles in search of a rear axle nut after my OEM nut stripped out while putting tires on my bike. The only thing keeping the axle was the cotter pin over a totally stripped nut.

The local motorcycle shop had a Kawasaki bolt the fit the axle. I had to buy a larger socket for the Kawi nut. That was over 60,000 miles ago and the Kawasaki nut is still in service.

It made it more exciting that all this occurred 3,700 miles from home.

·
Registered
926 Posts
When I was a teenager I went on a camping trip a friend who brought along his old clapped out CB125. The drive chain snapped but we didn't want to spend the weekend without a bike so we made a loop out of fencing wire to repair the chain. It would only last a few minutes at a time and made a god awful grinding noise but it was fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A few years ago 4 of us took off for a 4000km trip on early 80s bikes. We hit some pretty bad rain and the 82 Tempter kept stalling out. Turned out it was sucking in water.
We ended up stuffing a used sock between the seat and the tank, added some duct tape to hold it in place and we were good to go!

·
Registered
530 Posts
On a trip last year the glue from my heated grip separated from my throttle tube making it impossible to maintain any speed as it just kept spinning on the tube no matter how hard I gripped it.

After wondering what to do, I realized i keep some crazy glue in my little first aid kit - quick roadside repair and all was good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
One of the arms on the left siderack broke due to a combination of overloading the sidecase and rough roads while 3 days from home. I was able to scrounge a length of aircraft cable which I looped around the rack and passenger grab bar a few times, then secured with multiple zip ties.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
not my bike....

fellow took a dump, broke his shifter. Field repair = 1 spark plug socket duct taped to the stub of the shifter.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Picture this...

Beartooth Pass on Red Lodge rally weekend, in the middle of an actively managed construction zone: my buddy's 1984 Gold Wing goes dead. Hundreds of Harley's ride by as we're trying to diagnose the bike and yes, they were laughing at the broken down Honda.

Took some time, but we found that the main tin strip fuse blew. It was still the original fuse but it must have snapped from the rough road. Jumped it with a piece of thin gauge wire and he rode it for a thousand trouble-free miles home.

·
Registered
712 Posts
not my bike....

fellow took a dump, broke his shifter. Field repair = 1 spark plug socket duct taped to the stub of the shifter.
In 1976, my bike, 1972 Honda 350 twin. Shifter knob on my homemade rear sets broke off (my idea of a cafe racer - please don't laugh). I clamped a small vise-grips out of my tool kit to what was left of the lever so that I could shift, and carried on.

To be honest, anything fixed with just the use of vise-grips or duct tape really shouldn't count, as they fall into the "duh, yeah!" category. Add another component, and it becomes a brilliant idea.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Blewout my rear tire with a cage wheel balance weight 7 miles from home, used 3 loops of tire patch rope into a big gash,pumped it up to 15 lbs and headed for home. Stoped ever 2 miles to refill my tire with my mountain bike tire pump and limped home at 15 mph and several stops to refill the tire,made it home ok. Don't leave home without my trusty pump and a good supply of patchs now.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Broken shifters are a real trip killer. Nice solution is to carry an extra L-shaped 8mm or 10mm allen key and hose clamps to make an emergency shifter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Picture a dark motel parking lot. Two ST 1100's are pulling out. One tips over in a large street stormgutter. Only damage is 1 ego and a fractured mirror housing. Off to Wal-mart. I spies RED ductape (the bike is ketchup honda red). I also spy a denture repair kit… Hummmm…….. false teeth, plastic in a inhospitable environment.. Mirror cover in a inhospitable environment..
Yup! Mix up glue and what looks like plain old bakingsoda. Apply to cracked edges of mirror cover and firm it up with RED ductape.. Order new part on line..
TA DA!!! Repair worked all the way home (5000 miles) and just a few hours time did not put much of a ding on the vacation..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last summer I had a couple friends stop by for a vist in NL. They were heading across the Trans Lab together then one of them on an XR650 was heading to BC. Well before the even got out of NL he busted a hole in his engine case on some offroad trails. We drained the oil, cleaned up the hole really well and scuffed it up a bit, put some quick set JB Weld on it, let it set up for an hour, filled er up with oil again and then the next morning he was on his way to BC. Over 8,000km on that trip and not a problem with it after.

·
Registered
219 Posts
McGyver fix on the road? First ride of the season with Kawasaki tripple (I still have that bike!!)

I was about 16 years old at the time. (Already had rebuilt several engines by then.)

Stupid me thought a dirt road would be passable... NOT IN VERMONT mud-season! The road suddenly became about 6 inches deep muck. I managed to come to a stop but when I put my food down, the muck made it slip out from under me. I tipped over.

The ONLY stone sticking out of the road hit the engine and shattered the aluminum cover. This engine has 3 separate ignition systems (one for each cylinder) All 3 of the breaker-points were damaged.

Using only the onboard toolkit, I was able to disassemble, bend and rewire the points enough to get the engine running on ONE cylinder. (gapped by eye)

I was able to make it home (about 15 miles) running on that one cylinder.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not mine, but the most McGyver fix I've ever heard about:

Guy blows a tube on dirt bike, not repairable, no replacement. They stuff as much grass as they can in the tire and remount it to the rim. The grass provides enough cushion to limp home without destroying the tire or the rim.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Friend broke her shifter while on a ride, 2 hours from home. I found a hardware store and bought a mini vise grip and tape, Worked pretty good.

Another time my friends kickstand switch shattered while he was attempting to pass a truck, engine died. We were able to tape the switch into the drive mode. rode all day , 5 days later a new switch was mounted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Many moons ago at the tender age of 16 I lost my drive sprocket retaining nut on a Kawasaki F7 (175cc dual sport) while riding a mountain trail in Colorado. Was sitting on the side of the trail with my gear spread everywhere and had an entire Jeep group go by without a single offer of help or even a friendly "Hello, are you okay?" After some serious brain-scratching, figured out that the nut for the rear turn signal was of the same size although a different thread pitch (fine instead of coarse). I figured it was better to damage the nut than not make it home, so on it went. Made it the 80 or so miles home okay and replaced both nuts with new ones after finding, thankfully, no damage to the output shaft. Most excellent learning adventure for a youngster!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not an open road MyGyver fix, but still cool.

I was changing the tire on my Vespa and could not get the beads to seal. I took it to my trusted mechanic whose compressor also could not seat the beads. He then took out a can of starter fluid and set the tire on the concrete floor. He sprayed volatile fluid all into the tire and said, "step back".

He then threw a lighted match in the area of the tire and rim. The resultant explosion perfectly seated the beads. He then calmy threw a towel over the flames and added the correct tire pressure. It was one of the coolest things I ever saw a mechanic do.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not an open road MyGyver fix, but still cool.

I was changing the tire on my Vespa and could not get the beads to seal. I took it to my trusted mechanic whose compressor also could not seat the beads. He then took out a can of starter fluid and set the tire on the concrete floor. He sprayed volatile fluid all into the tire and said, "step back".

He then threw a lighted match in the area of the tire and rim. The resultant explosion perfectly seated the beads. He then calmy threw a towel over the flames and added the correct tire pressure. It was one of the coolest things I ever saw a mechanic do.
That is common, in tire shop. I saw that many times at my work many years ago but always stayed far from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K1V00yUe6o

1 - 18 of 18 Posts