StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine sent me this link today http://www.argentinamotoadventure.com/index.htm saying that "If I hit the lottery this is what I would do" and it got me thinking. What type of motorcycle adventure would I go on if money was no concern.

I have wanted to do the Central America ride on a KLR650 leaving from California. Maybe that is what I would start out with.

Since we have so many international members on this board, I am very interested in hearing about everyones "Dream Ride" if money was no object, and even better hearing about adventures you have gone on.

Brendan
2002 V-Strom
Bored because it's winter in Indiana but will go for a ride on New Years Day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If money were no object, I'd do 2 very different rides.

1. Alaska to Key West, just to see what there is to see.

2. The Dolomites in Italy. I lived there for over 3 years but was just underage to ride - I want to go back and visit and see if my skills are up to the Alps.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if money were no object - I'd buy Oregaon - lay 1,000 miles of smooth blacktop, put my leathers on and ride until I dropped...and ended up in Heaven with a 1,000 miles of blacktop in Oregon...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One can dream...

I would quit my job and just ride. One year, two, three... even longer. See all of this country there is to see. Canada too. Wear out as many motorcycles as I could. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
QBOTU said:
If money were no object, I'd do 2 very different rides.

1. Alaska to Key West, just to see what there is to see.
Money has nothing to do with it - it just takes time. I ride to Key West at least twice a year, gives me a reason to hit Daytona for Bike Week and Biketoberfest! I can never take more than a day of the noise 8) .

My wife and I did Alaska, on my BMW, in 2000 camping all 30 days. From home we were sitting in a bar in Anchorage in 6 days. I'm planning on doing it again on the Strom in July.

Take my word for it there is plenty to see (Biketoberfest often dovetails with Fantasy Fest in Key West). I've NEVER spent much money seeing them and enjoy bike camping. When I occasionally need a shower or clothes washed theres always KOA

As the Nike ad says - "just do it".

·
Registered
90 Posts
TPadden said:
Money has nothing to do with it - it just takes time.
Well said - when I reach the point where vacation is plentiful, I will take off and see what there is to see, whenever the mood hits me. For now - I go when I can. I hit Bikeweek every year and spend a week riding with my dad and brother. Yearly I also spend at least a week in Key West but haven't made it to Fantasy Fest yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
QBOTU said:
Yearly I also spend at least a week in Key West but haven't made it to Fantasy Fest yet.
Fantasy fest is a MUST see at least once. Last year I went with my son, he rode a 600 Bandit. He had a total of 4 hours on a bike prior to the trip and with a learners permit did 700 mile the first day. On the return he did a 1,000 mile day from Tampa all the way home to Missouri. I kept asking him if he wanted to stop for the night and he kept replying "Why, do you?"

Last Alaska trip I did the entire Al-Can in both directions, on the Strom I intend to do the Cassiar and Top o' the World Highways to add to the adventure.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's 3 that I could think of, and I'm hoping to complete at least one of them this year:

- Colorado through Arizona (catch a ball game), then through Mexico
- Washington State, through BC, to Alaska
- Calais in France to Costa del Sol in Spain

A trip through Germany would be a 4th option, I really liked Munich and Cologne when we tripped through there a few years ago.

Has anyone here traveled through Arizona and Mexico?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've traveled through Arizona but not Mexico...Arizona has some great roads but I wouldn't travel much faster than the posted speed. I got a ticket last year for going 7 miles over the posted speed in a remote area -in fact I've only had 2 tickets for speeding on MC's in the last 30 years and they were both in Arizona! I've been meaning to spend more time in Mexico - considering I live 15 minutes from the border - so I'd be interested in hearing from others that have spent some touring time there.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dream trip would be right 'round the world. One big hit would have to be Australia and New Zealand for sure. The American southwest and Mexico is on that hit list as well. Heck, 5 years travelling by bike with the money to do whatever you want would be the best.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dream trip would be Nordkap, to see the midnight sun, from Spain, i think it could be a nice and long trip to do... but when? Well some year :?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Money is not the main cause not to do the dream ride. Time is. Especially when family is involved or work, whatever. I left for few weeks in central america 2 years ago and it was a pretty cheap trip. I didn't spent on big hotels or restaurants. I usually stick to local basics when I travel these countries. Here in north america or europe, I camp when is possible (99% of the time) and prep my food. This is mostly where the money goes when you travel, and fuel, but bike don't drink that much, compare to us.... But to do this trip I had to plan months in advance because I got a family and am self employed, blah blah blah.....
Get the trip started is the toughest part.
happy trails,
Pif.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Fantasy Fest is a must. But one ride down US 1 to Key West each year in enough. Well maybe not.
Tom, tell your kid he must have a iorn body.
I will be doing Fantasy Fest this year. Maybe I will see ya there.
Also doing a KW ride May 17 thru 20, Sauce Boss will be there. He is always a great show. Catch the square at sunset, Captain Tonys, Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath. Maybe even the Boars Head Garden of Eden.

·
Registered
580 Posts
oops, forgot the dream ride. As some has said, "Money is a lot easier than time"

Just get on the bike with no time table and within a year hopefully see the entire USA. There is so much to see here, so many backroads that we sometimes pass right by and not even know what a great ride it could have been.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DITTO...Ride and camp and see the USA for 1year....Then off to New Zealand and Australia....Then Germany....Then...........YOU GET THE PIC. 8)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Resources (Time & Money) be no object. . . . .Hmmmmmm

I think Portugal then Spain then Australia & New Zealand.

My motto would be "I Got no plan and I'm sticking to it!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 3
1. Arctic Circle to Tierra del Fuego.
2. Scotland to Greece to Norway to Gibralter.
3. Circumnavigate then cross Australia.

Chuck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey!!!
don't forget Italy!!!!
we got some excellent places to ride and Stroms to rent!!!
Food!!! :) Women :D !!! Wine!!! :lol: Cops that pull wheelies with their R850RTs in Rome city center to pose in front of the pretty girls 8) !!!
etc. etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well nothing like a trip around Africa, that is my dream tour, will I make that, only time will tell.
Now about that lotery, who as the winning numbers for next week???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts