StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm starting to get into some content creation on YouTube. The majority of the videos I'll be posting will involve working on, riding on, or talking on my 2017 Vstrom. I don't get paid to make these, I simply do it for fun. If you guys enjoy being informed about the new videos I'll be putting out, you can either subscribe to the YouTube channel or let me know about it here and I'll make a new post when a video is up. I don't want to be spamming the Stormtrooper forum if nobody wants to know ;P

Cheers
-Sexy M.

:smile2:

June 3rd:

June 12th:
Off road two up (with a passenger) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
Cool, let 'er rip :)

I agree that our bikes are more capable off pavement than many think. I will ride 1800 miles of pavement to motorcamp and ride 500 miles of trails.

I do have some suggestions since I have done some gopro's and drone videos( I am by no means an expert). 19 min is a long time to watch a video of any bike on a trail. Consider under 5 min editing out the average stuff, focus on more technical stuff.

Fire the music editor, and go with what I call "driving music". In other words something a bit more aggressive ( rock, honky tonk, hard blues, even trucker bands, metal and some punk). The music should complement the ride, not distract the viewer.

Following anything that is going slower than your normal pace will throw of your timing which will also effect the viewers.

I applaud you for getting out there and "doing it" and look forward to more vids from you.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
I did the fast forward and you courageously rowed the handle bars well. Yes the bike can do horrible conditions in the right hands.
Good on you. OOfDa!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good on you 'Medic, I'm all for videos on the Strom offroad. I personally feel quite comfortable on my Vee offroad, now I've set it up to cope. You do need confidence too - it's all about forward momentum.

Love maintenance vids too.

Love the bike overall. Always the same - can't wait till next ride on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys so much for the support and constructive criticism. :)
Most of it will be immediately implemented haha.

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Congratulations. That is a great video (and BTW the audio is awesome).
Your only error was going riding with a bunch of quads. That is sort of like waterskiing behind your local ferry - you CAN do it, but is it a good idea?
Quads travel much slower than the speed you need to easily stay upright. That you ended up exhausted was no surprise. As you found out quads are great at trudging through mud but you needed more speed. Their slow rate of progress just wore you out.

I've been trail riding where quads were also invited. They are a PITA. :grin2:

Next time, some firmer and drier single track please.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Ah, come on, Brockie, Quads can be fun! But if you are hindering the solo bike rider when riding together, helping to uptight the stalled, sleeping bike is the polite thing to do.
Or let the solo bike proceed and they can wait at a comfortable place for the 4 wheelers to catch up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yup. Your video shows the biggest drawback to off-roading with the Strom....it's a heavy pig that carries it's weight up high...oh, and the lack of ground clearance....wait, there's the cheap bargain basement suspension with lack of travel and compliance. Lessee, did I forget anything?

Boy, I admire your git-r-done attitude and willingness to destroy your nice bike, but I think I'll continue to use my Wee on reasonably non-technical dirt/gravel two-track and bring another more appropriate tool for the woods riding you were doing.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
19 min is a long time to watch a video of any bike on a trail. Consider under 5 min
I agree with this.

Fire the music editor, and go with what I call "driving music".
I agree with this.

In other words something a bit more aggressive ( rock, honky tonk, hard blues, even trucker bands, metal and some punk).
I disagree with this. Loud and aggressive music, even music I like, will cause me to terminate a video immediately. It's way too distracting.

I applaud you for getting out there and "doing it" and look forward to more vids from you.
I agree, on both counts.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
Ok, when I posted I had not watched the whole video. Those earlier trails were wet but not boggy, as you progressed further the conditions got a lot worse. We all ride off pavement for 'fun' and I would not even have had 'fun' on a 250 race bike in that same muddy mess. Now, if that trail was dry, it would be a blast on the DL. You had the balls to try it and the common sense to turn around...win win :)

I live on 100 ac and the terrain here is mostly steep. Before I bought my first DL I was on a DR350, then a DRZ. When it was wet I stayed off my own trails and even centered a tree with the DRZ when sliding on leaves that were dry on top, but wet underneath. There are really only two conditions that limit the DL off road with proper knobbs and that is wet/mud and deep sand(no.... I am not a good in sand or should I say sand kicks my ass?).

Some are thinking "ground clearance" as a DL handicap but I have never had many real serious clearance issues. If I can get the skid plate up on the object then momentum gets me over and off with a little bit of "frying pan over river rock" noise.

You would really enjoy Moab, especially Moab in Sept(driest month). You can ride challenging trails all day long for a week and never do the same trail twice. On a DL it is an absolute blast. When doing the White Rim Trail we noticed miles of hard sun baked mud ruts and my buddy and I were thankful they were not wet because it would have forced us to turn around. Maybe you canucks will want to head to the SW in Sept?? I plan on being out there someplace....CO, AZ,NM, UT.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
BigSky, you are right, music preferences are like an oil thread...everyone's opinion varies. I am sincerely grateful to the technology that allows us all listen to what we like while riding without making others suffer ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, when I posted I had not watched the whole video. Those earlier trails were wet but not boggy, as you progressed further the conditions got a lot worse. We all ride off pavement for 'fun' and I would not even have had 'fun' on a 250 race bike in that same muddy mess. Now, if that trail was dry, it would be a blast on the DL. You had the balls to try it and the common sense to turn around...win win :)

I live on 100 ac and the terrain here is mostly steep. Before I bought my first DL I was on a DR350, then a DRZ. When it was wet I stayed off my own trails and even centered a tree with the DRZ when sliding on leaves that were dry on top, but wet underneath. There are really only two conditions that limit the DL off road with proper knobbs and that is wet/mud and deep sand(no.... I am not a good in sand or should I say sand kicks my ass?).

Some are thinking "ground clearance" as a DL handicap but I have never had many real serious clearance issues. If I can get the skid plate up on the object then momentum gets me over and off with a little bit of "frying pan over river rock" noise.

You would really enjoy Moab, especially Moab in Sept(driest month). You can ride challenging trails all day long for a week and never do the same trail twice. On a DL it is an absolute blast. When doing the White Rim Trail we noticed miles of hard sun baked mud ruts and my buddy and I were thankful they were not wet because it would have forced us to turn around. Maybe you canucks will want to head to the SW in Sept?? I plan on being out there someplace....CO, AZ,NM, UT.
I've got to say, as a guy who's 5ft 10in, I very much enjoy the lower height of the bike. It allows me to paddle walk when in the really deep gross stuff (or when I'm lazy lol). I 100% agree with you on the wet mud/deep sand! I also agree with you on ground clearance; I don't find it to be much of an issue.... until I lose momentum like you saw in the video haha.

God I would love to go down to Moab! This year is definitely not going to happen because I'm going back to school for nine months starting in September. However, I'm taking a 12 month LOA and it should only take about 9 months to complete my program if I bury my head....... What would things be looking like in June/July/August of 2020? :)

PS: Thanks to everyone for the replies of encouragement/constructive criticism! :grin2:
Working on a custom luggage rack now........... Will probably take a couple of weeks to complete due to scheduling conflicts lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
TSM, I have not been West during those months - june/July/Aug . It's peak touris season and the kids are out of school. So this means the national parks and campgrounds are generally full and bumper to bumper traffic at some. This would force me to BLM camp when available which is free but zero amenities which means water rationing. Next is the heat and again it's peak heat months.

Last is my selfishness of bailing out of peak Giant Ragweed season at home. For 30ish days these plants seriously kick my ass. It works out though because I avoid the crowds and catch dry weather to hit the trails.

As you can see by my map I need to go the NE, I hear Maine is amazing in the summer so that's on my short list this year, along with 3 weeks West in Sept.

Aug is out, we will be in Minnedosa Manitoba visiting family and attending Rockin the Fields concert:
Rockinthefields.ca

·
Administrator
16,593 Posts
TSM, I have not been West during those months - june/July/Aug . It's peak touris season and the kids are out of school. So this means the national parks and campgrounds are generally full and bumper to bumper traffic at some. This would force me to BLM camp when available which is free but zero amenities which means water rationing. Next is the heat and again it's peak heat months.

Last is my selfishness of bailing out of peak Giant Ragweed season at home. For 30ish days these plants seriously kick my ass. It works out though because I avoid the crowds and catch dry weather to hit the trails.

As you can see by my map I need to go the NE, I hear Maine is amazing in the summer so that's on my short list this year, along with 3 weeks West in Sept.

Aug is out, we will be in Minnedosa Manitoba visiting family and attending Rockin the Fields concert:
Rockinthefields.ca
Yes....Maine, VT and NH are amazing in the Summer. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts