StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ride strictly pavement, or what? Just curious, as I have a lot of doubt about getting 40k+ miles out of one that goes off road regularly.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
And what is meant by Not cleaning? No solvent and Grunge brush?
I occasionally(5K or so) run the Grunge brush(Dry) to knock off buildup. Otherwise it's lube liberally and wipe with a rag every 300.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A critical component of the not cleaning your chain strategy is to also not write down the odo reading when you put on a new one. I do lube my chain, but I don't clean it and I don't write down the mileage when I replace it. I don't write down the mileage when I replace my tires or brake pads either. I ride until stuff needs attention. Then I attend to it. There's probably some advantages to tracking all that stuff, but it's never struck me as worth the mental energy. I'm certainly not advocating this approach, but it goes really well with the rest of my character flaws.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A critical component of the not cleaning your chain strategy is to also not write down the odo reading when you put on a new one. I do lube my chain, but I don't clean it and I don't write down the mileage when I replace it. I don't write down the mileage when I replace my tires or brake pads either. I ride until stuff needs attention. Then I attend to it. There's probably some advantages to tracking all that stuff, but it's never struck me as worth the mental energy. I'm certainly not advocating this approach, but it goes really well with the rest of my character flaws.
Either you or I were sent out for adoption at birth. Clearly I have found my twin!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used to clean my chain more when I used sprays. Like no fling? Sprays, in my experience, built up crud that necessitated cleaning periodically. Once I switched to bar oil/gear lube combo, oiling was cleaning.
Yep... Same here... I wipe the chain down maybe once per week with 85w synthetic gear oil on a terry-cloth rag. Keeps the chain looking great and very little fling.

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
The only time I've seen a chain really need attention beyond a lube is after a sand session but the chain was going anyways.....just speeded it up.

I use Motul paste which sticks well and is easy to see where it goes on. Bit more tedious but it works well and my mechanic who races swears by it.
The critical lube is inside the bearings and that's what you do not want to disturb with solvents or any type of degreaser including detergents.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My factory chain went 38,000. It saw 900 miles of gravel on the Alaska trip alone.I just oil more thgan any thing.In the winter wipe the road salt off and may run a kerosene soaked rag in a plastic glove covered hand a few times then oil heavy again.Plain old motor oil is all I have used the last 30 of 50 years. Heavy and 70 my choice but 10-40 if no heavy stuff around.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am old so I grew up in a time before o-ring sealed chains. I also spent several years racing off road so I got use to chains that took a beating and got very dirty. I got in the habit of cleaning the chain periodically. I use a special chain cleaning brush and a little WD 40 for cleaning. Then the chain gets wiped cleaned and allowed to dry. After that I use my favorite chain lube, Bel Ray, and let her sit overnight before I ride her again. I ride a lot of back roads, some gravel/dirt and live in an area with its fair share of agriculture so there can be a lot of dust and dirt in the air. I like a clean chain..a clean properly oiled chain is a happy chain and happy chains can last a long time and they share this love with your sprockets.

I don't clean the chain every oiling depending on how they look. I don't do over two oilings without a cleaning however.

I don't log oiling or cleaning but I do keep a mental note of them. Besides, I do them by look and feel of the chain. I do log other service like new tires and services so I have a record of them. I just traded off my 2005 Wee and the new owner has a complete record of all the services, brakes, new tires, brake fluid flushes, cooling system service, battery replacements, etc. on the bike. I like that... Besides, if you keep your bike for a lot of years it really helps to remember when you did certain work. Its easy to forget.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Rode since teens and 71 now so keeping a record is a must for me as forget what I came in a room for often! :crying2: Oil /filter changes,new chain sprockets,brakes,bearing,etc. on all wear stuff write down. Put some oil on back of chain and on bottom run all most every time bike rolled out.On trips am often the only one that oils a chain more than once a day. They tend to put on the center spin and put high dollar lube/wax/snake oil on and my regular old motor oil out does them all but usual for me to at least do a run of oil down back of sprocket at every gas stop on day trips.Had two bikes with factory chain oiler that just used the oil from your motor.That made me think they did good why not just use motor oil?:grin2:

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
If I forget I can usually tell when the the chain needs a bit of lube...bit of extra vibration.....smooths out nicely after that.

I find it a bit odd that using things like kerosene or WD-40 simply cleans off the lube that is already in place....can someone explain to me the benefit of that?. Why not just add to the existing lube- you aren't lubing the O-rings and the actions of the chain spread any lube pretty quickly....topping it off seems to make more sense than cleaning all the lube off. These high tech lubes are pretty sticky as anyone that has tried to wash them out of a cloth will attest.

Regular oil...not so much.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
492 Posts
Click clack, click clack...uh oh! Forgot the chain! :oops: SPRAY...ahhhh, that's better!
Pretty sophisticated, huh? And I'm a maintenance manager by trade...:frown:

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
"Motul paste which sticks well and is easy to see where it goes"

That black stuff with the brush on the end of the tube went everywhere. Super nasty.
I like the cleanliness of the wax spray. I know how long because i keep the box the chain came in and I write the mileage on the box when I changed it.
The tire label gets stuck to my cabinet with the mileage written on that too.

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
Actually Motul chain paste is white ...nice try ... maybe you need to write other things down to aid your clearly faulty recall >:)

Reactions: guitstik

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I clean mine by applying more lube. Motul off-road spray. Bike looks like hell though. Gets everywhere. Fine by me.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
At 44,000 miles I'm on my fourth set of tires and third chain/sprocket set. The first chain broke for unknown reasons at 12,000 miles.

I use some kinda white spray crap I get at the dealer. I shoot some on every now and then, more or less. Now, I have learned to not NEVER lube it, because a few years ago I DID never lube it and after sitting in my carport for four months, I pushed it around to reposition it and found all kinds of little O-rings bits spewed all over the concrete. The O-rings had dried out and rotted, and broke apart when the chain spun. So now I use the above service schedule, more or less.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I haven't cleaned my chain yet, about 32k km's on it now and still looking new. I use a chain oiler often (about $25 to purchase), it has a hand lever so I can just pull over to side of road and slow down, and oil it without stopping. I ride a lot of dirt and the oil just flings it off. Changed out front sprocket once, that is all so far. I might swap out chain and sprockets before my trip up North next Spring, just in case.

One of the benefits of using oil is that the front sprocket area does not fill up with crud since it is not sticky like most chain lubes are.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts