StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no talk. As some of you know, I sold my Vee a couple years ago due to fears about my earning potential in this economy (which turned out to be true).

I really miss the bike and I was offered a deal on a Moto Guzzi Norge that was too good to turn down. The seller is a good friend of mine and him being an aircraft mechanic among other things, I figured this would bring a lot of pleasure and be a minimal risk investment.

One thing that terrifies me though are cagers with those damned Smartphones that seem to rule their lives. I saw the video of the poor guy in Dallas that got sucker punched from behind. In full disclosure, i've done a swerve or two looking at some stupid email.

Is it a lot riskier out there than it was 2 years ago? I'm going to do most of my riding in the rural areas which as a group we've always done anyway. I'll be picking up the bike in late June.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/elwood59/008.jpg

Always enjoy riding with the Troopers. I hope everyone is well.

Rod

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Nice bike, how does it compare to your old 'Strom?

I got to spend about 2 weeks with my bike down there about a year ago, it's a lot more stressful than what I'm used to up here in the sticks. I felt compelled to engage all my survival skills daily there.

At least you can again use the "Motorcycle Only" parking for the little Tiki Bar at the end of Vaughn Street in Gibsonton.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice bike, how does it compare to your old 'Strom?

I got to spend about 2 weeks with my bike down there about a year ago, it's a lot more stressful than what I'm used to up here in the sticks. I felt compelled to engage all my survival skills daily there.

At least you can again use the "Motorcycle Only" parking for the little Tiki Bar at the end of Vaughn Street in Gibsonton.
Holy smokes!!! No I do not hang out it G Town. Lobster Boy scares me :) I actually haven't ridden the "new" bike yet but I really wanted a shaft drive, ABS and electric windshield. My Vee ran really well and was a blast to ride. In reality it's probably scarier out there on my bicycle in the street.

I plan to pick up the bike in Indiana and take a scenic trip down here and visiting the cool roads of NC, TN and KY.

Rod

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Holy smokes!!! No I do not hang out it G Town. Lobster Boy scares me :) I actually haven't ridden the "new" bike yet but I really wanted a shaft drive, ABS and electric windshield. My Vee ran really well and was a blast to ride. In reality it's probably scarier out there on my bicycle in the street.

I plan to pick up the bike in Indiana and take a scenic trip down here and visiting the cool roads of NC, TN and KY.

Rod
If you find yourself near Asheville, NC give me a call I love to get to meet your bike,............... errrr you and maybe show you some backroad scenery.

Also, the V-Strom Gathering at the Iron Horse, near Bryson City, NC will be happening between May 12 and 15. I know there will be at least a couple of Florida Troopers there.

About Gibsonton, my wife and I were on an RV road trip with her parents, brother and our daughter. I wisely brought the bike along. One afternoon that we "had to get away" we found this "quaint" little waterside watering hole. Gibsonton seemed like a slice of backwoods Americana in the shadow of the big city. We did not get to meet "Lobsterboy", however we might have met a few other crustaceaous hominids.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stromin' I have a ton of respect for a guy who's on vacation, comes down here and instead of enjoying the beautiful beaches, views and fresh seafood finds the freakin home of the winter "Carnies" and has a brew with the co-workers of Lobster Boy!!!!

I really would love a guided tour of greater Ashville. If you are home on the weekend of 6/25, I'm all over that. One of my very good friends just moved to Newport, TN and I may be looking at some real estate in your Hood anyway.

You got Carnies in NC? :))

Rod

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hope to ride with you soon Rod. I thought nobody was left on the planet. I have been the only one posting lately. I sold my bike in anticipation of the new one. HA, not likely to be here soon.

Ironhorse, that's what I say, get a bike to ride in 2 weeks!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope to ride with you soon Rod. I thought nobody was left on the planet. I have been the only one posting lately. I sold my bike in anticipation of the new one. HA, not likely to be here soon.

Ironhorse, that's what I say, get a bike to ride in 2 weeks!
Hi Clem,

I haven't checked out this forum in a long time. Man, where's Charlie, Keith, Jim, Lou, Bob, Rusty and all the other guys?

I have a friend that has a 2005 650 with way less than 10,000 miles for sale cheap. Let me know if you need a Band aid. Check out this rental site for the Iron horse trip:

European Motorsports Inc.|North GA Moto Guzzi Aprilia Motorcycles Scooters New Used Dealer|Rentals - Motorcycle Rentals

I have an odd situation where my garage is packed full of junk from an estate sale thingy and I have no room for the bike until July.

Let's get the band back together!

Rod

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
You got Carnies in NC?
Where do you think we come from?

The trip to the Tampa area was to fulfill my dying Father-In-Law's wish to see the Yankees play, with Derek Jeter.

We caught his last pre-season appearance.

My Father-in-Law, we would later learn, would not have been well enough to see a regular season game. We did manage to see St. Pete beach and spent a Saturday night in Ybor City. We went to a winery that sells grape-free wine (barf) and got to enjoy a 35 MPH crosswind, two-up on my DL, on one of the causeways at rush-hour.

It wasn't really a vacation, more of a mission.

I did get to do a RTE and met Clem and a few other FL strommers. I joined a ride around Ocala which ended in an ambulance ride for a lady who endo'ed in an adjacent lane as I passed by.

Please PM me before your trip, I should be here. I'd love to share the splendor of my adopted home, BTW I grew up in Lauderdale.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi Clem,

I haven't checked out this forum in a long time. Man, where's Charlie, Keith, Jim, Lou, Bob, Rusty and all the other guys?

I have a friend that has a 2005 650 with way less than 10,000 miles for sale cheap. Let me know if you need a Band aid. Check out this rental site for the Iron horse trip:

European Motorsports Inc.|North GA Moto Guzzi Aprilia Motorcycles Scooters New Used Dealer|Rentals - Motorcycle Rentals

I have an odd situation where my garage is packed full of junk from an estate sale thingy and I have no room for the bike until July.

Rod
Hey Rod, PM me on the 2005, very interested.

thanks,

Clem

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Stromin' I should be in your part of the world the weekend 6/25 if you're free. I'd love to hook up. BTW, there is a new business in G-Town. A strip joint right off 41.

Now what kind of self respecting strip club owner can get women to work cheap enough to pole dance around Lobster Boy and the rest of the Carnies?

Rod

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
We still get around.

Hi Clem,

Rod
That would suit me very very well, Rod. I enjoyed a short ride with Charlie and Lou in January. We explored the coastal settlements just north of Cedar Key, but devoted only about a day to this project, so we didn't go far away.

If, by "Bob" you mean MyStrom, I think he now rides an American bike.

I have not seen Rusty since he came and picked up the GS-550 that I was riding when I met him. You were instrumental in my selling that bike, and I am grateful.

When you typed the message to which I am replying, I was riding north to Ontario to meet the Ontario Stromtroopers for their annual "jailbreak" (although they do not call it that) ride to the cottage country of central Ontario. You can read about that ride in the Canada section. I was away from home for 8 days and 8 hours, and rode 3334 miles.

If you wish to ride Colorado again, that can be arranged. My other ride is
now a CBR-125, so I will have an excuse for being the slowest rider around.

Curt, who rides your original Wee-Strom, also has a small Honda, and I want to see it before I depart to spend June and July in Canada. He and I plan to compete for (or to share) the award for smallest engine to ride the C-to-C in October 2011. He has a two-cylinder Honda Benly that is 50 years old.

As you say, let's get the band back together!
Keith

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew that Wee was a solid ride. As I remember, I had maybe 24,000 on it when I traded it in at Motorsports of Tampa.

They gave me a great trade on the Big Bad Black Vee. Loved that bike, too.

I look forward to seeing you guys. Keith, thanks for all your generosity. Looks like I'll have my own rig soon. The Guzzi guy hates that I'm making him put on all the bolt on crap we Troopers love.

Rod

·
Registered
776 Posts
Rod that is way too shiny of a bike, but it sure looks nice. Heading to Ironhorse tomorrow. I know you guys are headed that way a little later in the month. I am enjoying Gene's bike to death. I love it, it's a blast. I went through withdrawals not having one for 10 days.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Long time no talk. As some of you know, I sold my Vee a couple years ago due to fears about my earning potential in this economy (which turned out to be true).

I really miss the bike and I was offered a deal on a Moto Guzzi Norge that was too good to turn down. The seller is a good friend of mine and him being an aircraft mechanic among other things, I figured this would bring a lot of pleasure and be a minimal risk investment.

One thing that terrifies me though are cagers with those damned Smartphones that seem to rule their lives. I saw the video of the poor guy in Dallas that got sucker punched from behind. In full disclosure, i've done a swerve or two looking at some stupid email.

Is it a lot riskier out there than it was 2 years ago? I'm going to do most of my riding in the rural areas which as a group we've always done anyway. I'll be picking up the bike in late June.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/elwood59/008.jpg

Always enjoy riding with the Troopers. I hope everyone is well.

Rod
What a nice bike! :jawdrop:

What year is it and if you don't mind sharing, how much did you end up paying for it?

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a nice bike! :jawdrop:

What year is it and if you don't mind sharing, how much did you end up paying for it?

Ride safe!
The Norge is a 2007 with 12,000 miles. I paid $7500 for it but I bought the Givi top box. I've known the seller a long time. He fixes airplanes and stuff so I'm pretty sure I have purchased a well put together bike. Supposedly it gets 50 MPG.

Clem, have a good trip. I took my Vee up there in early November in 2007. Was a tad chilly but I'm willing to do that again. I was the only guy out there.

Rod

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Rod,

It's great to hear you're going to be on a motorcycle again. I'm still riding nearly every weekend. We need to ride the roads again after you get your bike. It was always great getting your pictures of folks in the corners on the group rides. I'm on Ulysses' Adventure Sport Tourer model and it's been great.

Welcome back.

Roy

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Roy. I'm glad to hear you are still out there. You always lead the best rides. One benefit of getting the motorcycle bug again is trying to remember that place aka Bananas something that served the best fish sammich I ever ate ...cash only.

I'll see you at one of those Waffle Houses at oh dark thirty off of I75 in a few weeks.

Rod

1 - 20 of 30 Posts