StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a fun day of doing some mods! Put on my Yoshimura R77 exhaust. This was hands down the EASIEST exhaust change I have ever done on a bike. Sounds great!

Also put on my Sargent Performance Plus seat. Feels better than stock.

ProTaper SE Raptor bar. So much better than the stock bar. Has less sweep to the rear which puts me in a more natural riding position. Height is slightly taller than stock, width is close to same, less sweep back. No issues with contacting fairing or tank at full lock and I didn't have to change or reroute in cables or brake lines. I ordered the platinum color thinking they would be more af a dark grey, but they have a slight tinge of blue to them. Wasn't worth sending them back. Only downside I see is the stiffer bar transfers engine guard vibes a little more through the grips. Also put on some ProGrip 717 grips.

Aprilia Tuono mirrors. They look way cooler than stock mirrors, decreased buffeting a little. Only downside is a little blurring when in the engine guard vibe zone. But love the character they add to the bike.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
That's a really nice well set up bike :thumbup:

Love the Yoshi, looks great.

I do very much like those Pro Taper bars though, thanks for letting us know which ones you picked, and for the detailed report.

I now know what my next project will be :yesnod:

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great mods. Functional and look good.

Do you remove the rear stock header pipe from the head and replace with new pipe or use it to connect to the new aftermarket exhaust?

On the bars - did you need to reroute any cables or are they being strained at all or is everything pretty much as it was with the stock bars?

What source did you use for the Tuono mirrors?

Thanks,
EV

·
Registered
503 Posts
Funny I ordered the platinum ( I have KX high contour bars) as well but I also returned them in favor of silver. They looked more like the engine case color in the pictures but they are more like a gun metal blue. Anyway yours looks great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a really nice well set up bike :thumbup:

Love the Yoshi, looks great.

I do very much like those Pro Taper bars though, thanks for letting us know which ones you picked, and for the detailed report.

I now know what my next project will be :yesnod:

Cheers
Also forgot to mention that the center portion of the Raptor bar is slightly narrow. The up sweep from where it attasches to the clamps begins a little early and doesn't allow the clamp to fit flush. I busted out my dremel and just took a little metal off the bar, and then put a little bevel in the clamp as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great mods. Functional and look good.

Do you remove the rear stock header pipe from the head and replace with new pipe or use it to connect to the new aftermarket exhaust?

On the bars - did you need to reroute any cables or are they being strained at all or is everything pretty much as it was with the stock bars?

What source did you use for the Tuono mirrors?

Thanks,
EV
The Yoshi setup replaces everything except the short header attaching to the rear cylinder. A few inches from the exhaust outlet there is a pipe clamp. You can access the bolt from the left side of the bike in front of the shock. You loosen that clamp and the rear pipe from that point down comes off. Then you put the new midpipe back up onto that little header piece and clamp it. The entire front header pipe is replaced with the Yoshi unit. Fit was great, installation went smooth, the whole thing took about 45 minutes taking my time.

For the bars, I didn't have to change or reroute the cables at all. The bar is pretty close to the stock dimensions except for less sweep. No stress on the cables or lines and no hitting the tank or fairing when at full lock. Other than having to add a little bevel to the top bar clamp, it was an easy swap.

I ordered the mirrors from Moto-science.com. Good price and same day shipping! They were great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am curious on the r77 exhaust and skid plate compatibility.
Me too. I am still waiting for the TouraTech skid plate to arrive. I am military stationed in England. I had to order it and ship it to my dads house, then he relabeled and mailed it to me. Should be here next week. I will post pics and feedback when it arrives.

The front header pipe looks to be about the same diameter and angles, so it should fit. Won't know until it arrives though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny I ordered the platinum ( I have KX high contour bars) as well but I also returned them in favor of silver. They looked more like the engine case color in the pictures but they are more like a gun metal blue. Anyway yours looks great.
Exactly! The website pictures show the silver as normal silver, and the platinum to look dark grey... but as can be seen in my pics, there is a definite blue tinge to it. If I would have done it again I would have ordered the silver. But, the price to ship an oversized box back to the states just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Me too. I am still waiting for the TouraTech skid plate to arrive. I am military stationed in England. I had to order it and ship it to my dads house, then he relabeled and mailed it to me. Should be here next week. I will post pics and feedback when it arrives.

The front header pipe looks to be about the same diameter and angles, so it should fit. Won't know until it arrives though.
Well that is a good data point for me since I have that skid plate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that is a good data point for me since I have that skid plate.
I saw that in your signature. Once the plate arrives I will get it installed and get some pictures posted and get some feedback to you. It looks like it should be okay, however you never know until the pieces go together.

Stay tuned for further info. :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I saw that in your signature. Once the plate arrives I will get it installed and get some pictures posted and get some feedback to you. It looks like it should be okay, however you never know until the pieces go together.

Stay tuned for further info. :thumbup:
Awesome, this is exactly the info that I have been looking for. The Yoshi has been on my radar, but the clearance with the Touratech skid plate is a concern. Glad someone else has the intestinal fortitude to take the leap. :thumbup:

I'll be looking for your review when you put the skid plate on.

Thanks......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, this is exactly the info that I have been looking for. The Yoshi has been on my radar, but the clearance with the Touratech skid plate is a concern. Glad someone else has the intestinal fortitude to take the leap. :thumbup:

I'll be looking for your review when you put the skid plate on.

Thanks......
Also saw that you have a SW Motech centerstand. I am not sure if the Yoshi is compatible with centerstands. It has a bigger jumble of midpipe section where they lengthened the rear header to try and maintain even backpressure between the cylinders. I wonder if that might cause some interference.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And the verdict is.... NO!!! The TouraTech skid plate WILL NOT fit with the Yoshimura exhaust :headbang:

The front fits great, however the rear mounts to the exhaust hanger on the right, and the front kickstand bolt on the left. The Yoshi midpipe dips a little there and there is no way to bolt on the back skid plate mount. :thumbdown:

Ugh... so the search begins for a skid plate that will fit with the Yoshi exhaust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your bike looks great. I'm curious what are the benefits of the protaper bars over the stoke ones? The protapers sure do look good

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your bike looks great. I'm curious what are the benefits of the protaper bars over the stoke ones? The protapers sure do look good
The ProTaper bars do not sweep back as much. This means my wrists are a little straighter and in more neutral alignment. There are many people who complain about the stock bars because it turns your wrists out to far by being swept back further.

Fo rme, I have had surgery on my right wrist, and continue to receive steroid injections in it... the angle made my wrist hurt. The ProTapers reduce this.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are the Tuano mirrors wider than the stock mirrors? Can you see around your shoulders better than before?
I've the Tuono mirrors on my bike and reckon that you do get a little more extra width to get a better rear view. But, they're not slab shaped like the OEM ones so some might see less, due to the Tuono mirror being narrower, IYSWIM.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've the Tuono mirrors on my bike and reckon that you do get a little more extra width to get a better rear view. But, they're not slab shaped like the OEM ones so some might see less, due to the Tuono mirror being narrower, IYSWIM.
I agree... they extend outward a little more and are a little lower. I don't have the exact measurements though. They have a smaller viewing area than the stock and are more aerodynamic. I like them alot better and they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BMiracleTX, I have the Happy Trail skid plate and it seems there is about 3/4 of an inch or more clearance with the stock pipe. That plate may work. I am planning on getting the Yoshimira exhaust, but not until spring. If you would like, I can take a few measurements and see what the clearance is. I have attached a pic, but I am not sure if you can see the clearance well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts