StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO here I am up in Canada on Vancouver island discovering how shitty the low end running on these bikes is.
I need a tune up, no shop on the island I can find has a yosh box...
Every one just says get a Power Commander, OMG! I will build a Yosh Box b4 I pay that kind of money for a one time fix.
Anyone out there with a DIY yosh box they dont need anymore?
I am haveing problems finding all the parts I need to make my own, shipping from Germany where I am able to find all the bits is pretty expensive.

Thanx

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
Why would you do that when a power commander is a "one time fix"? The Yosh box only enriches or takes away at certain areas, the on board programmers are fully adjustable and work MUCH BETTER.....yes I have had my 1st 1000 re-flashed with a Yosh box, I ended up with a PCIII and it ran so much better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why would you do that when a power commander is a "one time fix"? The Yosh box only enriches or takes away at certain areas, the on board programmers are fully adjustable and work MUCH BETTER.....yes I have had my 1st 1000 re-flashed with a Yosh box, I ended up with a PCIII and it ran so much better.
I plan to set it and forget it with either solution.
The Yosh box lets me adjust the low/med/high of both fuel circuts individually on each cyl. Thats plenty.
Since my year of bike does not have an o2 sensor the PC ends up doing the same thing really, it does not auto set, not a closed loop system.
So really all the PC does is enrich or take away at certain areas too.

Yes a PC has a wider range of ajustment, yes its easier to use, does it actually result in a better end result?
IMO technically yes but not noticably, altough that answer is dependant on the person doing the tune.

The ability to fiddle with the PC costs more than four times as much as a diy yosh box, and leaves me with a PC box under the seat, I have a lot of electronics in there now, I dont want this thing in there. If I could find a PC3 USB for the same price of say $100-$150 I likely would tho, just to save the time it will take to build a yosh box...

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
I plan to set it and forget it with either solution.
The Yosh box lets me adjust the low/med/high of both fuel circuts individually on each cyl. Thats plenty.
Since my year of bike does not have an o2 sensor the PC ends up doing the same thing really, it does not auto set, not a closed loop system.
So really all the PC does is enrich or take away at certain areas too.

Yes a PC has a wider range of ajustment, yes its easier to use, does it actually result in a better end result?
IMO technically yes but not noticably, altough that answer is dependant on the person doing the tune.

The ability to fiddle with the PC costs more than four times as much as a diy yosh box, and leaves me with a PC box under the seat, I have a lot of electronics in there now, I dont want this thing in there. If I could find a PC3 USB for the same price of say $100-$150 I likely would tho, just to save the time it will take to build a yosh box...
Well I wish you luck, but I can assure you that many who had originally gone the Yosh box tuning route "myself included"......end up with a power commander or comparable fuel controllers. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wish you luck, but I can assure you that many who had originally gone the Yosh box tuning route "myself included"......end up with a power commander or comparable fuel controllers. ;)
well the more I look the more I am leaning to a PCFC.

Due to the abundance of maps for the PC3 I am looking for a used one of those too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Big B

Do you know if the PCFC P# FC20017 use PC3 maps?

I found one new for $200 USD shiped I am thinking about, even with the 2 month ship time :(

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have a PCFC on my V2, the Dynojet maps were OK but a custom tune took it from mild to wild and could be worth investing some time in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a PCFC on my V2, the Dynojet maps were OK but a custom tune took it from mild to wild and could be worth investing some time in the future.
Ya the more I read the better this looks, too bad there is no software other than windows...
oh well... I may have to write my own.

It looks to be like I can use BigB's custom PC3 map that he made.
I am stock exhaust with a K&N filter in the stock air box so nothing wild needed.
I just want it to run better at the low end when I am in trails. Damn hard to get power to the ground at slow speeds when its farting around...
I like that the PCFC can store and call on alternate maps so I can set one up for trail, touring (eco) and around town daily use - that might be the same as the trail map tho lol :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You'll love it when you get it dialed in. Our old Stroms are lean at low speeds and rich on the top end. You can get it dyno tuned after you put the aftermarket exhausts on. If you're not planning on them now, you likely will in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll love it when you get it dialed in. Our old Stroms are lean at low speeds and rich on the top end. You can get it dyno tuned after you put the aftermarket exhausts on. If you're not planning on them now, you likely will in the future.
I very much doubt I will put on any aftermarket exhaust, my biggest beef on this bike is that it is too loud as-is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts