StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the first service done on my '12 Vee adventure. I expressed my dislike of the factory fuel settings to my mechanic, whom I trust. When I picked it up he told me he hooked it to a Yosh box and upped the low end +2 and the mid +5. Seems to run a little better. He said if I wanted to make any further changes, bring it back and he'll do it. I am waiting for the PCIII to be released for the '12 model. Until then, is there anyone else who has done this and/or any further recommendations for settings?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I had the TEKA box treatment, It works fine

Those sound about right settings

If after its completely done then a PC and a dyno session will
maximize tuning

JUst ride it this year

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
You don't need a PCIII now, the Yosh or Teka box gets it done nicely!:yesnod:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The yosh box absolutely transformed my bike!!!

I hated riding it w/ the stock fuel map and was well on my way to selling it... My mechanic suggested the yosh box, I bit and now I aint sellin it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did the Yosh box adjustment to my 1000 and it runs awsome now. + 5% low and mid RPM. Really no need to purchase a Power Commander.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I second the Yosh adjustments. My mechanic does a wonderful job tuning even though he swears by Power Commander.

I had electrical issues running through C.A. and my Power Commander went down in Tegucigalpa. I spent a day fussing over it before I finally unplugged the PC and went back to stock. Man was I happy to have the bike running Tegucigalpa is a big hairy city which I didn't like. Mechanics there had no clue on a big bike. I was waiting for a truck to come get the bike to take it to a SUZ dealer when I figured I ought to try and un-connect the PC.

More shit to go wrong IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've experimented with many settings using my Yosh box and settled on:

+ 1 on idle circuit for each cylinder
+5 on low
+0 on mid
+0 on high

It's all good!

·
Registered
122 Posts
thread breaker

Yosh not nearly as tunable. I have an 04 1000 that I yoshd. Was better at the time. PCIII Much better

·
Registered
71 Posts
mapping

I have to say I am really in the dark about all this mapping stuff? I'm not a mechanic and have been riding street bikes for years but never heard of all the PCIII and Yosh box etc. and wondered if someone can enlighten me on this. I just purchased a 2012 1000 Adventure and before I even pick it up, all this talk makes me feel like I need something done to it already??? Should I be asking the mechanic to do something to it before even picking the bike up?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have to say I am really in the dark about all this mapping stuff? I'm not a mechanic and have been riding street bikes for years but never heard of all the PCIII and Yosh box etc. and wondered if someone can enlighten me on this. I just purchased a 2012 1000 Adventure and before I even pick it up, all this talk makes me feel like I need something done to it already??? Should I be asking the mechanic to do something to it before even picking the bike up?
Thanks for any help!
The Yosh box reflashes the ECU to modify the fuel map. The good thing about this change is its a flash, so you don't have to keep the box on the bike. You can re-flash it as many times as you want. I had a homemade yosh box I borrowed from a friend and tweaked my DL1000 quite a bit, but in the end, everything that felt good on the butt dyno, had my fuel mileage in the tank.

The PCIII is something you put in line on the bike and program using a PC. It modifies the signals from the ECU before they get to the bike so its not technically reflashing your ECU, but rather changing them. The PCIII has way more settings and adjustability, but the downside is you have to purchase it and keep it on the bike.

If you have flashed your bike with a Yosh box, but then decide to get a PCIII, it would be best to flash your bike back to stock before putting the PCIII on so you are dealing with a stock map.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mapping

But again, why wouldn't the bike be manufactured with the best or most efficient settings? What do you lose on one end when you gain on the other, and exactly WHAT are you gaining?? MPG? horsepower? powerband range? Sorry, its all new to me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
But again, why wouldn't the bike be manufactured with the best or most efficient settings? What do you lose on one end when you gain on the other, and exactly WHAT are you gaining?? MPG? horsepower? powerband range? Sorry, its all new to me.
Its all because the evil EPA. Most bikes these days come pretty lean to pass emissions and the DL1000 is definitely one that suffers ridability due to how lean it is. I'm sure Suzuki could send the bike with a better fuel map that made it much nicer to ride, but they'd never pass emissions.

So basically, what most guys are looking for is a better smoother running bike by modifying the fuel map. With the PCIII, you might actually gain some HP, especially if you add a pipe or anything but I think what most guys are after is just smoothing out the engine by richining up the fuel mixture a bit at places where its really lean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for any help!
Lol...its scary, huh?

It's the new paradigm for fuel injected bikes...just think of it as changing the jets in your old carbed bikes. Instead of raising and lowering the needle, or changing the main jet, you are going to increase or decrease the duration of the pulses squirting fuel into your throttle bodies.

Manufacturers have taken advantage of ECU controlled fuel injection to lean out their motors as much as possible to pass environmental regulations. Consequently stock bikes often come with a few related illnesses including stalling, stumbleing, and knocking.

This can be fixed by accessing the control unit (the ECU) via a Yosh or TEKA box and modifying the stock settings, or by connecting an aftermarket fueller, like a PC III. Both methods richen the fuel mixture to overcome the factory lean condition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mapping

Thanks so much for the info and I will def ask the mechanic when I pick up the bike next week about it. Does re-mapping require purchasing something and then taking it to the dealer or is it something they have the ability to do with electronics they would already have in their shop? I also keep reading about Throttle bodies popping off? Is this something I can just ask them to check out before I take the bike and have them tightened so it may not happen? Maybe checking them at the 600 mile service?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Apology to bluelightening....sorry for duplicating info you just posted...I'm on my phone and didnt realize you had responded until I had already posted... My bad, dude! :(

Steevestrom, I think you are worrying too much about it, it'll all work out. Just pick the bike up and ride the hell out of it. Anything you need to change or fix will become apparent.

You're gonna dig this bike :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Apology to bluelightening....sorry for duplicating info you just posted...I'm on my phone and didnt realize you had responded until I had already posted... My bad, dude! :(

Steevestrom, I think you are worrying too much about it, it'll all work out. Just pick the bike up and ride the he'll out of it. Anything you need to change or fix will become apparent.

You're gonna dig this bike :)
No problem man. Its all good!

I agree. I say just pick up the bike and ride it and see what you think. Some guys live just fine with stock bikes and have no complaints.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts