StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked dozens of times before by others and people have offered tons of suggestions but I still seem to be stumbling over finding power for the heated grips.

I bought a set of the US made Hot Grips. These installed in a very straightforward manner and are on the bike now. In one of the threads on heated grips it was mentioned (by Greywolf?) that he just got the plug and plugged into the factory plug that is intended for the heated grips. I think I have found that plug and have attached pictures. Please let me know that I have the right plug. If it is the correct plug, I have big hands and it is a tight spot to get into. Can I easily remove the airbox to give me room to work?

Now, I went to my local Suzuki dealer and they did not have the male plug in stock. They said they can order it but it is a very common plug and Canadian Tire should have it. They didn't think they did; nor did any of the four or five Auto Parts stores I visited in Newmarket have them. Can anyone tell me the exact name of this plug I should ask for or is it one that I should just order from Suzuki and wait? Is there a better spot to find the power for these grips?

Any and all help here is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Definitely looks like the right plug.

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
36852-06G00 is the Suzuki part number for the horn lead that fits the connector.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yep

Just installed my OEM heated grips. Yeah, that's the connector. I have small hands, but even then I had to remove both the top and bottom radiator bolts so I could move the radiator forward enough to reach the connector.

I did a lot of digging around like this when I was installing my Stebel air horn too. It helps to do all of these things in batches, so you only have to move the radiator once.

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips!

I will order the horn wire tomorrow. I plan on putting in a Stebel horm as well but that will have to wait.. unless you guys know someone that has one in stock in the greater Metro Toronto Area that I can get in the next day or two. My bike is sitting in pieces in my garage and it hurts me to see it that way...

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I got it all together and (strangly enough) everything works!

Thanks for the help, guys!

I left the wires longer than I should have. Maybe next time I see someone that has heated grips I'd like to look at how they ran the wires so I can copy it.

I went out for a run last night befor 11 pm. It was about -8 celcius (roughly 18 degrees Farenheit) and it was nice to feel the heat from the grips!

I have heard people mention it before but I noticed that my left grip is not nearly as hot as my right (throttle) grip. For those of you that have the actual "Hot Grips" made in the the USA do you notice the same thing or should I look for a possible bad connection?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Does the left heater mount directly to the bars? If so, the bars are acting as a heat sink. All that yummy warmth is going into heating your handlebars instead of your left hand. I wrapped the left side of my handlebars with insulating tape before I installed my heaters and they seem pretty even.

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does mount directly to the bars, but the grips are rubber(y) and there are ridges there plus epoxy and I suspect the combo might act somewhat as an insulator. In addition, you would think that with the whole grip having the element built within that factors like that would have been thought about. More likely a goof up on my part!

..Tom

Does the left heater mount directly to the bars? If so, the bars are acting as a heat sink. All that yummy warmth is going into heating your handlebars instead of your left hand. I wrapped the left side of my handlebars with insulating tape before I installed my heaters and they seem pretty even.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts