StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, another guy who's headlights don't work :( So, here's where I'm at-

1) Its not the starter switch, which is clean.

2) I cleaned and prepped the three connectors under the left fairing with dialectric grease. Still nothing.

3) I'm working my way backwards so I hopefully won't have to pull the tank. Next step is the connector behind the radiator. Which side of the bike is it on, and what's the best way to get to it?

I leave for the COBDR on 7-04,and it sure would be nice to have headlights.

And before anyone says anything-

4) yes I put this off too long,and now I'm paying the price

5) yes, I should put an Eastern Beaver on it, but I just put tires, levers, brake pads, pegs, and bar risers on it for the ride. My farkle budget is a little tight. Maybe when I get back, since the tank will be off to clean Colorado out of my air cleaner anyway.

Thanks my Strom riding brothers. Gen 2's forever :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
As you are going through things are you checking for power. Use a multimeter or a test light and make sure there is power at the conectors you work on. Make sure the ground to the headlights is there. High beam switch can be a trouble spot also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having a similar problem with my k8 wee. I just took it on a trip and when I got to the motel last night I found out that my headlights wern't working at all, low or high beam. Fuses were good, so I went to the NAPA this morning to replace the bulbs thinking that must be it, but I was wrong. The manager came out and tested the three prong plug for me and it turns out that there is no power going to my headlights at all. after dooing some searcing on the youtube we found a video that shows there is a single wire in one of the harnesses under the airbox that can get hot, melt the plastic, and become loose causing the lights to not get power. Im thinking that is my issue, and perhaps yours could be similar. If anyone else has any ideas and would like to point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
el Loco. If it is not the starter switch the second place to look is the large wiring loom main connector on the left side of the radiator/headstock under the LHS faring. If your bike has seen a lot of weather the terminals there can become corroded.
Otherwise look at the wiring to the bulbs. These are the Y and the B/BL. The earth is the B/W. The B/BL turns to W at the above main plug, and then goes to the fusebox. There is also a 10 wire plug that goes to the LH switchblock which includes the dimmer switch wiring. Look for Y/W, W and Y wires there.

These are the K8 etc colours. Perhaps they are similar/the same on later models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts