StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's two , the other is the really BRIGHT high beam LED.

Cleaning the bike @8000km and noticed that the rear exhaust heat shield was loose.

Go to tighten - well, that didn't work.

There are some rubber spacers in there and shouldered bolts, the rubber spacers have shrunk and no longer hold the heat shield firmly. I 'fixed' it with a couple of O-rings I had lying around.

Something to keep an eye on - it won't come loose, but it'll buzz, and left long enough might wear the holes in the heat shield.

Pete

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's two , the other is the really BRIGHT high beam LED.

Cleaning the bike @8000km and noticed that the rear exhaust heat shield was loose.

Go to tighten - well, that didn't work.

There are some rubber spacers in there and shouldered bolts, the rubber spacers have shrunk and no longer hold the heat shield firmly. I 'fixed' it with a couple of O-rings I had lying around.

Something to keep an eye on - it won't come loose, but it'll buzz, and left long enough might wear the holes in the heat shield.

Pete
Hmmmm, How much milage do you have on your bike? I have 1100 KM on mine, and my shield is firm with no movement. Also, this is the first anybody has heard of this, meaning that this could be an individual case with your bike. Every vehicle make and model has 'lemons'! Those are usually models that have slipped by quality control, without being properly inspected. I would take the O-rings out and bring it back to the dealer and let THEM fix it, as they are the ones that sold it to you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with Stoked Steve,

That is it.....I am selling selling my Wee :green_lol: ........

Ya gotta give it a once over after a long ride. Things loosens up on these Vtwinkies....locktite..a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They weren't loose bolts.

The bolts are shouldered, and tightened as far as they could be tightened.

The rubber buffers had shrunk - so no matter how tight the bolts are - there's a 1mm gap.

I'll mention it to the dealer next service, but I'm one of the earlier owners - I'd expect others to find the same thing as the k's go up.

Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
yea ive found the same problem , my heat sheild is loose ? however i wonder if there supposed to be like that so as to stop them getting any vibration ? because with the bolts holding them on being tight there not going to fall off are they .....

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a 2007 1200GS and during my 2 years with it I had 4 ior 5 recalls all of them could have been serious. Perspective is the word.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea ive found the same problem , my heat sheild is loose ? however i wonder if there supposed to be like that so as to stop them getting any vibration ? because with the bolts holding them on being tight there not going to fall off are they .....
They aren't like that new. They should be snug and not wobble.

No biggy to work around. Just cut a circle of cardboard and put it under the bolt head. Looks like someone got the bolt or rubber buffer length slightly wrong.
Certainly mention it to the dealer next time you see him.

(And yeah, a lot of manufacturers would be delighted if that was their worst manufacturing problem).

Pete

·
Registered
323 Posts
1 mm gap Humm sounds like 1mm washer preferibly stainless ,come on is this all you got ...:confused:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 mm gap Humm sounds like 1mm washer preferibly stainless ,come on is this all you got ...:confused:
Heh, shouldered bolt ?, the hole size needed to fit over the shoulder means something a LOT bigger than a standard 6mm washer.

As noted above, I had a couple of O-rings that fitted. There are a lot of options, but at a pinch, cardboard will do it :) .

Pete

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
:yesnod:

I'm having trouble not throwing money at it for cool stuff. Just too much of it out there. I could spend thousands!

·
Registered
86 Posts
giving the v a good clean after being out in the rain and i noticed that the heat plate on the silencer wasnt loose anymore ..it seems its only loose when it gets hot then when it cools it tightens up again.. try this out , see if yours shrinks when its cold ....o-h my god what im i saying ?:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Won't call it a problem, but had mine on the center stand (not the side stand) during a moderate rain, and later found water got into the storage compartment under the seat.

It appears since there is no lip on the plastic between the rear of the seat and the rear rack, the rain does not channel away from the compartment. I am guessing it won't be as much of a problem if I leave it on the side stand, as it won't be pointed down hill and forward.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Won't call it a problem, but had mine on the center stand (not the side stand) during a moderate rain, and later found water got into the storage compartment under the seat.

It appears since there is no lip on the plastic between the rear of the seat and the rear rack, the rain does not channel away from the compartment. I am guessing it won't be as much of a problem if I leave it on the side stand, as it won't be pointed down hill and forward.
Ah yeah, fixed that on mine. Folded up some polycarbonate sheet and made a box to sit over that area under the guard (in front of the tail light). It's held in place by the two bolts that hold the tail onto the subframe. Not much storage space, but I'm considering storing some 4mm spectra in there. Something that I don't care if it takes me 10 minutes to get at in other words.

Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
I developed a slight rattle once the bike warms up above 3k that I'm guessing had to do with a loose bolt..etc.. I checked a few exterior bolts but I'm going to let the service place find it when I do my 600 maintenance service.. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
:yesnod:

I'm having trouble not throwing money at it for cool stuff. Just too much of it out there. I could spend thousands!
I've been looking for a really good exhaust but I've been disappointed so far, I'm surprised at the few options that are available. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Heh, shouldered bolt ?, the hole size needed to fit over the shoulder means something a LOT bigger than a standard 6mm washer.

Pete the washer size needed would be 8mm to fit over the shoulder of the bolt ,taking up the extra space and then allowing the bolt/screw to tighten down on the heatshield ... sorry for the confusion ... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yet another problem

Got my 2012 Adventure six days ago. Noticed this problem on day two of ownership and it is getting progressively worse. The problem - my left and right butt cheeks have trouble leaving the saddle. A 485 mile ride Saturday confirms neither cheek want to get off the bike.

Simply put, I can't stop riding the thing. It's a blast:thumbup:

Vinny

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got my 2012 Adventure six days ago. Noticed this problem on day two of ownership and it is getting progressively worse. The problem - my left and right butt cheeks have trouble leaving the saddle. A 485 mile ride Saturday confirms neither cheek want to get off the bike.

Simply put, I can't stop riding the thing. It's a blast:thumbup:

Vinny
:thumbup: ha ha ! same problem here, damn vstrom anyway......

1 - 20 of 52 Posts