StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Added a couple of conspicuity lights.

Project was easy, cheap and came out pretty good I think.
I don't have any miles on them yet though.

Lights
Mounts
Wire harness

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I ran the harness under the left edge of the tank. The cross piece going over to the right light tucked up behind the radiator.
The length was just right to get back to the battery. Tapped into the brown wire going to the taillight for switched power.
The harness did come with an on/off switch but the included wires are too short to mount it on the bars. I wanted the lights to come on with the key anyway.

The only problem so far is that the lights are very bright! I have them aimed down quite a bit. I wanted yellow and these are small enough to match the profile of the OEM crash bars.

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
I'm liking that, consider getting a PC8 for all your electrical accessories....and no they are not too bright.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.

Dropped the bike on the left side. The light rotated in a bit but was not damaged. The crash bar protected it.

I've got about 500 miles on the bike since install, no problems with the lights.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Are yellow forward facing lights permitted in your area?

Not so here unless they are fog lights.

I note that conspicuity lights are permitted for motorcycles and side cars in Oz manufactured after 1st March 1992 (under Aust Design Rule 19/01) but I can't find a reference to colour (just yet).

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
it would appear they are legal in CA. vc 25950....

California Law - Vehicle Code - (pg. 505) Article 15. Light Restrictions and Mounting (25950-25952)

Article 15. Light Restrictions and Mounting (25950-25952) (10911)(Text)
25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows: (10912)

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows: (10913)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2000 mile update. Some off-road involved. Got drenched in a thunderstorm too.

Lights are still working and the mounts are secure. Took the gas tank off a week ago and routed the harness a bit neater.

Could be my imagination but cars really seem to notice me better. Yea I know, don't rely on drivers seeing me, just saying. The yellow lights are really a bright contrast to the headlight.

40 bucks well spent IMO.

·
Registered
810 Posts
it would appear they are legal in CA. vc 25950....
I like the idea of running one yellow light. Its a cheap and easy mod, easy to reverse and seems like it would make my bike stand out in traffic for more visibility. Added bonus, its legal!

·
Registered
318 Posts
2000 mile update. Some off-road involved. Got drenched in a thunderstorm too.

Lights are still working and the mounts are secure. Took the gas tank off a week ago and routed the harness a bit neater.

Could be my imagination but cars really seem to notice me better. Yea I know, don't rely on drivers seeing me, just saying. The yellow lights are really a bright contrast to the headlight.

40 bucks well spent IMO.
I also have a pair of yellow (kind of greenish really) ADVMonster lights mounted low and wide. I don't know if it's the color or the triangle, but it's been my experience also that I swear I have fewer incidents with people apparently not seeing me from ahead. I keep them aimed responsibly low too. Mine were a little more than $40, but I am very glad to have them. I have mine wired so that I can turn them off or to be on with the lows or to be on with the highs. That way when I flash my highs they go off or come on if they were off. Very hard to ignore.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm running one white light and one yellow on mine for a while. (Over eight years now, actually. Dang, didn't realize it had been that long: http://www.stromtrooper.com/507849-post22.html )

My white bulb is now an LED, so the color difference is even more pronounced.

I've been in several different states with this setup and never gotten any static at all from the cops.

I think one interesting and unexpected benefit is after a while your brain starts to learn how to process the oddly colored photons bouncing back at you a little better, and over time you start to have a much better mental picture of where things are in 3D space at night. The best explanation I can think of is that you "know" that stuff illuminated with your bike's shade of yellow is coming from you and not some other lighting source, so your visual cortex somehow uses this to improve your overall spatial awareness. This takes a while to develop; I started noticing after a few months.

And yes, there is still a marked difference in the observed stupidity levels on my Vee compared to my one-headlight bikes. I mean, yeah, lots of brainless cage pilots still do stupid stuff and try to kill me on every ride, but it's a little less. I'll take what I can get.

I don't have lower lights on my Vee, just the headlights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
an experiment with some mellow yellow too. Just a bulb change, easy to revert to stock. I think specs triangle is effective.

HELLA H71070682 Optilux XY Series H4 Xenon Yellow Halogen Bulb Set, 12V, 60/55W

Thanks for the reminder. My first bike, a Yamaha R6, had a single yellow bulb. It was night and day with the amount of vehicles that pulled out in front of me(much less with the yellow light). I'll have to pick up another one to throw in my bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts