StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Directions call for a 2 part epoxy but I am out and already bought yamabond grip glue. Any problems?

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Directions call for a 2 part epoxy but I am out and already bought yamabond grip glue. Any problems?
not sure i follow the question.

you've bought symtec grip heaters, and symtec recommends a specific grip glue, which you don't have. you want to know if yamabond grip glue will work? didn't the symtec kit come with adhesive?

if not, i'd be tempted to order the symtec recommended stuff. i could easily imagine regular glue losing its grip once you crank up the heat.

but i'm just guessing; i've no firsthand experience with symtec/regular grip glue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Symtec comes with adhesive to put the heaters on to the bars. I am looking at adhesive to bond the grips to the heaters.

I already have yamaha grip glue and am thinking the recommended epoxy would be permanent forcing me to destroy the heaters if I want to change grips or bars etc..

I am basically asking if anyone thinks the yamabond would take the heat.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
you've bought symtec grip heaters, and symtec recommends a specific grip glue, which you don't have. you want to know if yamabond grip glue will work? didn't the symtec kit come with adhesive?
The Symtec heaters don't need a glue to apply them. They have a self stick adhesive on the handlebar side of the element. Peel the paper off and apply the heating element around the bar tube like a bandaid.

I removed my OEM grips. I shaved off the ridges of the throttle tube with a razor blade to make it easier to install new grips. I installed Progrip, Gel-Touch grips. I purchased the recommended glue with the kit, (Scot's ski pole grip glue.....), but I DID NOT use it. My grips are tight and don't move or slip. Even when under high heat. Which is very rare. You will mostly use a "low" setting. You will love this addition.

B.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Are you re-installing the stock grips over the Symtecs?

I didn't use any glue putting my stockers back on. I lubricated the inside of the grips with rubbing alcohol and slipped them back on. No problems...they haven't budged.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I asked this same question recently and was told hairspray works very well. It helps the grips slide on and then gets tacky to keep them there.

SS

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used Honda's grip glue to put my stock grips back on over my symtecs. It is probably the same as the Yamaha stuff. I've used it on two different bikes now. It holds fine. No need for the epoxy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just taped the heaters in place.
Then hairspray and slid 714 ProGrips over heaters.
And I also added a Heat-Troller to my setup works very nice.

Fred

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Are you re-installing the stock grips over the Symtecs? I didn't use any glue putting my stockers back on. I lubricated the inside of the grips with rubbing alcohol and slipped them back on. No problems...they haven't budged.
I've done the same thing over the years with numerous bikes and various kinds of grips and heating elements, and have never had a slipping problem. I also use alcohol to remove grips -- just stick a thin screwdriver between bar and grip, shoot some alcohol in there and twist until it's distributed -- the grip will slide right off (unless glued on at the factory like my late #$%&^* KLR).

The only grips I ever glued on were HotGrips, which are made of some kind of harder plastic material which would not grip the bar. I think that epoxy idea is promoted by the grip heater companies to make sure you ruin them any time you change grips or bars.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think that epoxy idea is promoted by the grip heater companies to make sure you ruin them any time you change grips or bars.
lol i hadn't thought of that... bastards...

I am one of the many that read and read and read all the people say, but the heat troller you wont regret it, i looked at the price and found that the troller was more expensive then the grip elements and decided I would give the Hi/Low switch a shot... what a mistake. lol.... now I will not only have to but the troller but redo a bunch of crap to get it installed. DOH.

:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts