StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2730 isn't working that well so I just ordered a Nuvi 650 from Garmin's Outlet Store for $200.

Now I need to get an XM/Sirius Sat. radio-recommendations?

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way please, but have you considered the alternatives to satelite radio? I have a Zumo 550 and I do have the XM antenna and still have a subscription. I need to cancel that. Maybe the 650 Zumo has a built in antenna? I was told by the Garmin rep when I ordered the thing all I needed was the subscripion....now I have an expensive antenna added to my visual dash display. The real complaint I have is that the 550 Zumo does not integrate the XM fully. For instance, my SH-10 bluetooth headset talks nice to the Zumo with no wires. BUT, I have to run a hardwire from the Zumo to the headset to listen to XM. Seems like the Pandora and IHeart type apps on smart phones may be easier to use and cheaper to use. These have better sound quality ( I-phone to Sena ) than the Zumo to Sena because of the type of bluetooth connection. Even the music stored on the Zumo has poor quality when listened via bluetooth, MUCH better via Zumo with a hardwire to the headset. Sort of defeats the purpose, that hardwire! Check the specs on the 650 Zumo carefully to see if they have improved those areas.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do those apps still work when you have no cell signal?
When I had XM was becuase I like ride up in the remote mountain areas where there is no cell signal.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
No, if the cell signal is not present they won't work. Years ago that was a real problem. Today, most roadways have cell coverage and there are really no "roaming" issues. So it is now cheaper to use the smart phone than the satellite and there is more programming to choose from. Last time I was in West Virginia I turned off my XM because of the loss of signal due to the proximity of the mountains and the trees covering the road. This was only in the more remote mountainous areas but the signal was out/in so much it was not usable.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Where I live and ride, Death Valley, California East of the Sierra Nevada and Western Nevada I can count on pretty much no cell signal. The Hwy 395 corridor is an exception and there is some coverage in Furnace Creek, Death Valley. Also some places covered by ATT have no Verizon coverage and vice versa. Do like having the xm radio in my truck/home though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts