StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use my Garmin 665 for long rides and always enjoy the company of music while I ride. I move the GPS from bike to bike and have the antenna wiring setup for easy transfer between the 2 bikes. My issue is that I have been keeping the antenna "puck" in the top of my tank bag and I'm constantly losing the signal. I'm trying to figure out a better place for mounting so I can have a consistent 3 bars. Anyone have solved this issue on their V2?:confused:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I use my Garmin 665 for long rides and always enjoy the company of music while I ride. I move the GPS from bike to bike and have the antenna wiring setup for easy transfer between the 2 bikes. My issue is that I have been keeping the antenna "puck" in the top of my tank bag and I'm constantly losing the signal. I'm trying to figure out a better place for mounting so I can have a consistent 3 bars. Anyone have solved this issue on their V2?:confused:
Before these were available commercially, we made five similar piuck mounts for a buddies five bikes. Fits between the cradle and ram mount and the puck and plates have adhesive Velcro on them. Originals were for a 550 cradle but he modified when he upgraded to a 665. Otherwise, anywhere you could stick Velcro to on the dash or a shelf would work.
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-satellite-radio-antenna-plate.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the same GPS, I had a local shop bend a plate that I mounted on the back of an ST1100 backrest on my Corbin seat. I don't use the backrest, it was for my wife who decided she didn't like riding the K1 so it came in handy for long rides.

Billclel2002

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about using Velcro and mounting on top of the brake master cylinder just in front of the throttle side grip.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have had Sirius/XM for years (All Access) and am planning on upgrading my wife's old TomTom 720 I use now to the Garmin 665LM. I had no idea there might be sat issues with connectivity on a motorcycle given how well it works in our cars.

Is the 665 ok to see in sunlight? (the TomTom is dim and I see that in some of the reviews on the 665) Any other things you like or don't like about the 665?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had Sirius/XM for years (All Access) and am planning on upgrading my wife's old TomTom 720 I use now to the Garmin 665LM. I had no idea there might be sat issues with connectivity on a motorcycle given how well it works in our cars.

Is the 665 ok to see in sunlight? (the TomTom is dim and I see that in some of the reviews on the 665) Any other things you like or don't like about the 665?
I like the 665 a lot. Works fine in all weather conditions and is relatively easy to use "on the fly". It doesn't have sat issues if it's placed in the correct location. It should be at least 6' from the GPS with a clear view of the sky. On my S10 I have it located just in a great location where the wind wings fit. Sort of in front of me and to the right. The V2 has a bit more of a challenge to finding the correct position without the rider or something else obstructing the view. I have a very specific need to be able to easily move the puck to move to my other bike. If thats not a consideration finding a more permanent position is easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts