StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering using the bike to commute to the airport for my weekly trips. I park in a offsite lot that is gate secured and undercover. Have even seen a couple of other bikes there so I know this is not a new idea. Would like to put a cover on it, figure a basic Walmart cover would work. I do want to put a disk lock on the bike as well. Xena seems to be the leading brand, but pricey. So questions.

Would a basic disk lock be sufficient or is one with an alarm worth the investment?
What size disk lock fits the Vee, 6mm or 10mm, other?

Note - Also planning some weekend trips this summer so lock would be used when parked at a hotel for the night.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought the Xena with the alarm so if the bike is being messed with (as opposed to stolen) I have a chance of hearing it from inside a diner/hotel/tent/wherever. It doesn't take much to set it off.

Mine is also bright yellow, as I like the deterrent factor that provides.

Nothing (well, almost nothing) will stop an organized, persistent thief. The noise and the visual I hope will have him/her choose an easier target.

I'll post up what model I bought tonight, I don't have that info with me now.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The only thing bad about a disc lock is not "if", but "when" you will inevitably forget it's on your bike and WHAMMO!

I know this firsthand, unfortunately!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
security

Vandalism is a bigger concern; or theft of my helmet or gps when parked for lunch.
I've a bright yellow disk lock for the front disk which I rarely use; but it may be a worthwhile in your case as a deterrent. But 4 big dudes can load a Vee into a pickup so there is no way to prevent theft.
I also have an ugly but functional homemade cover that hides it from passing potential vandals or just young kids who might be tempted to sit on it and inevitably tip it off the stand. The overall chrome-less appearance with enough road dirt pretty well sets the tone that Vstroms aren't worth stealing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I got one, if you can get the 14MM pin one vs the 7MM pin, harder tog et off idea.

As for leaving it on you can buy a cord with loops on both ends, one end goes in disc lock the other over handle bar, good reminder. :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only thing bad about a disc lock is not "if", but "when" you will inevitably forget it's on your bike and WHAMMO!

I know this firsthand, unfortunately!
Been there, done that, back when I used a cable and padlock.

You won't forget the alarmed Xena. It starts chirping at you as soon as the bike moves a little, then you have 15 seconds (IIRC) to disarm before everyone around knows what you forgot!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My philosophy has always been to make my bike harder to take than the guy parked next to me.

That way a casual thief will go for the easier target. However, If a pro really wants your bike I doubt there is anything you could do to keep him from getting it.

When riding with buddies we would always chain our bike together (two or three bikes). This helps prevent 3 or 4 guys from simply picking up the bike and putting it in a truck.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Way I figure it, when they lift off the cover and see it's a Strom, they'll move to the next bike anyhow! :green_lol:

Just kidding...I have a Xena that I use while parked at work. A little bit of security takes the worry out, and if they grab the whole thing, well 1-800-Progressive...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use a Xena and bought the extra cable in case I want to lock it (the bike) to a fixed object and still have an alarm. It's also good for locking items (like me 'stich) to the bike and the bike to a fixed object and have an alarm.
Good stuff and worth the extra money.
bill.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great response, thanks folks. Ok so now I'm convinced that a Xena disk lock alarm is the way to go, let's get a little more specific. I'm looking at the following models:

XX10 - costs more and not sure it will fit
XX6 - should fit and costs a bit less
XZZ6 - small and less expensive but not sure if it's same alarm as the XX series

So, anyone using one of these or have opinion on fit.

PS - Yes, I will put a lanyard on it as a reminder and I do know that if someone wants it bad enough, no alarm/lock will stop them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I purchased the XX14 for $104/free shipping through Amazon. This has the alarm and has a brushed nickle finish. It's a hefty chunk of metal for sure.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XXSeries/XX14/page1/

Google it and there are cheaper prices now...but factor in shipping.

EDIT: another thing is some models of Xena alarmed locks use multiple stacks of wafer batteries, = more $$ in use. The XX-14 uses a single battery.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great response, thanks folks. Ok so now I'm convinced that a Xena disk lock alarm is the way to go, let's get a little more specific. I'm looking at the following models:

XX10 - costs more and not sure it will fit
XX6 - should fit and costs a bit less
XZZ6 - small and less expensive but not sure if it's same alarm as the XX series

So, anyone using one of these or have opinion on fit.

PS - Yes, I will put a lanyard on it as a reminder and I do know that if someone wants it bad enough, no alarm/lock will stop them.
I'm using an XX6 and it fits my Honda VTX1300R, my Triumph Rocket and of course, my Vstrom DL-650.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts