StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few buddies and I are white water rafting in the Fayetteville area in a few weeks. We are then riding to Green Bank to see the huge radio telescope. Can any of you help me with points of interest or route suggestions as we make our way back from Green Bank to NE Ohio?:confused::confused:
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The entire Monongohela NF area is great...lots to do.

Here's a route I've done along your path...

16 from Marietta down to Gauley Bridge/Fayetteville (Hawk's Nest SP is great twisties!), then 60/64 down to Lewisburg. You can see the Civil War sites there, grab some lunch in some cool historic restaurants, or ride over to White Sulfur to check out the Greenbrier bunker (under the resort for congress). Riding Kate's Mountain is good while you're there, the comm. equipment for the bunker is at the top of the hill.

From there, ride 219 up to the Radio Telescope. Fantastic road! Lots along that route, 2 civil war battlefields at least. Ride up 219 to Elkins, catch 33E to Seneca Rocks. 28 north to the Dolly Sods area, ride up to the top, it's beautiful up there. 42 up to SR50, then 50west....some epic twisties in there.

50 meets 250 past Grafton, a great road to ride back up into Ohio.

That's a really great route with a lot of stuff on the way.

-Craig

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I will plot them out on my map this weekend and see what they look like. :thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
WV Route

If you are north bound on US 219, just north of Slateyfork is Hwy 66, it goes over the mountain via Snowshoe (ski resort) and drops down into Cass (senic railroad).

After you leave Cass, 66 will then intersect Hwy 92/28 at the bottom of the radio telescope field (photo op).

Turn left (north) at the stop sign and the main entrance will be on your left.

Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gary. We will probably do just as you've suggested.:thumbup:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
16 from Marietta down to Gauley Bridge/Fayetteville (Hawk's Nest SP is great twisties!),
Be careful in Gauley Bridge. It is a known speed trap town. You really don't even have to be speeding to get a $150+ dollar ticket. Bad place, and the town immediately to the north west of Gualey Bridge is also suspicious. I went through there a few weeks ago and there was a real scruffy looking undercover car pulling people over in unexpected places.

2010 article about the town: Watch your speed in Gauley Bridge* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts