StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Due to a number of reasons, the engine for my bike is shot-- the shop is telling me it's seized and in pretty bad shape...

At this point, I'm considering a replacement engine, and I'm wondering two things:

1) I have low to moderate mechanical skill-- if I had the time on my hands, is replacing the engine myself something that could be feasibly accomplished with relatively minimal tools? (I would be willing to buy more if necessary).

I have a manual, and have done my own clutch adjustments, chain maintenance, etc, but nothing major.

2) What year engines are compatible with the 2009? I've done a bit of searching, but haven't found a concrete answer yet.

And as an afterthought.... Anyone got a good engine lying around? :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
I haven't pulled a Wee engine, but had to pull the engine in my '83 CX650TD (water-cooled, fuel injected) so the idea is the same: you won't need great skills, but you will need ample time to work methodically. Using the factory repair manual as your guide, photograph each step of the process, label and bag each fastener and keep a notes sheet that corresponds to the photo/step number. A good set of wrenches and bits should cover it, as well as a floor jack to support the engine as install/remove it. Any special tools needed will be outlined in the manual. You may be able to find a low miles wreck that has a good engine. I'd imagine that any second generation Wee engine (2007-11) should work, but let a more knowledgeable DL650 owner confirm that.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm really interested to know the reasons for the engine being shot

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have replaced several engines in various motorcycles over the years. Be meticulous about things, take lots of pictures, keep the various bolts and nuts separated in labeled containers. Think about how you are going to jack the engine and possibly the bike too as two separate operations (haven't looked at my bike closely enough to know). A really strong friend is helpful too to lift the engine once it is loose.

Don't know about what engines fit a 2009, I suspect that any engine from 2007-2010 but maybe another will chime in here with more. Greywolf are you reading this thread?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
DrVenture, where in the Seattle area are you? I'd be willing to help out as time allows. Any 07 to 11 will be a direct replacement. I've got a shop manual, it shouldn't be too bad......(knocking on wood)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The '07 has a lower output alternator with different stator, rotor and wiring harness part numbers but still may work fine. The '08-'11 are pretty much identical.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I beleive the 2009 has the dual sparkplugs per cylinder. In which case, the engine-computer may not work well with earlier single-sparkplug engines.

Also, the injection-system is slightly different on the dual-sparkplug engines. (As evidenced by the non-adjustable throttlebody sync. on the later engines.)

If I were you, I would seek out a dual-sparkplug per cylinder engine to replace yours.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Dual spark began in 2007.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wrecked motor

sorry to here about your motor. any ideas why it went kaput. i rebuilt the top end on my bike that i bought. it was smoking when i got it for a good deal.
if you pull your old motor and are just going to get rid of it, i'd like to take in to my shop and pull apart and see what went wrong and maybe rebuild.
i'm just down in hood river or and would be happy to come get it.
get a new motor and get back on the road!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am also interested in more info.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Haven't pulled a motor on a Strom, but based on my SV experience I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult. You will need the Suzuki tool for the engine bolt lock nuts, other than that no special tools.
Basically you pull the tank, air box and FI system from the top, the rad and exhaust from the bottom, disconnect all the the electrical stuff (ground strap, don't forget the ground strap, DAMHIK,IJK) then the motor bolts and the engine comes out the bottom. Careful with the oil filter, don't smash the weight of the engine down on it. 650 motor weighs a bit over 100lbs, not too bad. Does help to have another set of hands available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts