StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I think I’m finally done putting this bike together. Took a lot longer than I thought it would to get the bits lined up. I have given it a pretty good shakedown run but not really any single track, which is really where I’m curious to see how it does.

I wasn't expecting it, but this bike cost more to equip and purchase than my 2017 650 V Strom. The plan was that it be capable of TAT and back country travel....in comfort with lightweight camping gear.,,, not that I know I’m gonna do the TAT but if I was I’m pretty sure this is the bike I would take. It has incredible range with a 4.7 gallon IMS tank and some say it gets 70+ miles per gallon. To make it comfy I put a Seat Concepts seat with a Tusk heating element (very impressed with the cost and performance of the heater) it also has Fasst Flexx handlebars (bought used fortunately) and a Scott’s steering damper which makes quite a difference on the highway. Had to get longer custom made cables and have two clutch cables installed should one fail at the wrong time.

Made the rear housing for an Addmore tailight out of Aluminum. It has a sequential turn signal built in and is very bright. It is on a track so it will (theoretically) slide out of harms way when it goes down (Which it will). Added Oxford heated grips on a bracket that integrates with the Ram ball mount for the phone. Put on a JTS Engineering LED headlight and Thumper Jockey additional lights (don't like these much). Made the dash out of bent aluminum and a Blue rubber glove. It has a Marine Volt Meter to keep track of what is charging, ( can charge My Cpap battery) The controls for heated socks, gloves and jacket are peaking out under the dash.

Another thing I thought it needed and works very well is a very bright LED turn signal dash light. (I Hate when I forget to turn them off) It has a Zero gravity Lithium Ion battery (saves several pounds) with a failsafe low voltage cutoff. I added two Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns with a Relay (Light and Loud, probably fragile) , a small fairing that can come off with wingnuts and will store in a custom pouch that clip to my luggage.

One of the main reasons to go WR250r for me was the 350 watt stator. . I used an eastern Beaver 4 circuit fuse system tied into a 30 watt relay. Hiding all the wring on a WR is tough. I am hoping to weigh it in the next few days and am anticipating about 285 pounds with 2 gallons of fuel.

These motors really rev out. You are running through the gears all the time , so they are entertaining and seems quick around town. No problem going 65, just not sure I want to do much of that anyway. Tires are DOT legal Dunlop 606 in the rear and a Pirelli MT21 up front. It has a few engine upgrades EJK fuel mapper, FMF pipe and header (Going back to stock for the peace and quiet) K&N filter (came with the bike, I prefer oiled foam) All the standard WR engine nanny deletes.(You drop quite a bit of weight here) . Also has Pivot Pegs (Never tried those) and I have the materials to make a set of Stegz Pegz for riding single track. Luggage is mostly finished. The Giant Loop tank bag is about the only one that won't interfere with your undercarriage when standing and has a space for the fuel vent hose.. On the back I have a Wolfman C Base that I am adapting some 32 litre Arkel Dolphin bicycle panniers. They are waterproof and quite tough. On top I'll use an SW Motech dry bag that holds 35 Litres. Hopefully finish a tool tube that locks with the helmet lock soon. Haven't figured out how I will get up on the Beast when loaded as I'm not too tall. This is a very tall bike. Ergonomics seem very good in terms of seat bars, pegs. I'm pretty sure with padded cycling underwear I'll be able to cover good distance.

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Interesting build. There is a guy I’m watching on YouTube that rode the TAT on Honda CB500X’s with the Rally Raid suspension package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Well I think I’m finally done putting this bike together. Took a lot longer than I thought it would to get the bits lined up................
Paragraphs are our friends.

Just sayin' 😁

Really nice build, enjoy it!

Reactions: Nicad

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paragraphs are our friends.

Just sayin' 😁

Really nice build, enjoy it!
Very good observation. Probably too much babble too!! Did yet another edit.

Reactions: Spec

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Nice build, miss my WR250R as it was a blast to ride and very capable off pavement. Never understood why Yamaha never built the 450R everyone has been screaming for?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting build. There is a guy I’m watching on YouTube that rode the TAT on Honda CB500X’s with the Rally Raid suspension package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I met a guy who had a full Rally Raid 500. Was very happy with it. He was mostly going to travel South America. Said it was very costly for the full recipe. Seemed like a great bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts