StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know it's obvious. I've never really experienced it however. Day before yesterday I decided to take a ride from Albuquerque to Roswell, NM. Been there several times but only for work. Decided to go as soon as Weather forecast indicated it was to be 75 degrees. Good time to take in the International UFO museum and the Robert Goddard stuff at the Roswell Museum. One thing I always seem to forget warmer weather generally means strong winds. I hold out until about 9:30 am to let it warm up a bit and head out. I started with a full tank and average 260ish miles before I fill up. I never take it too low on the gauge but since it's about 199 miles there I knew I had plenty. I did decide to take the back way, adding a few miles, to avoid highways as much as possible plus I'd never taken this route. Enjoying the ride, and have lonely roads with nothing in sight so I guess I twist the throttle a little more than usual as everyone tells me the DL650's love to rev. I see it's showing 70-80 MPH, feels good, but man that wind is brutal at times. Side winds are really disconcerting. I didn't notice it earlier as it either was less or I had a sort of tail wind. In any case, really feeling it later in the ride. End up on the final leg of the trip but still about 35 miles out (checked afterward) and see a rest stop. Stop to take a break and stretch my legs. Hit the road and run into some construction with one lane open. OK, not a big deal, still enjoying the ride. Look down to make sure I'm slowed down enough and see my fuel light blinking. What....can't be. Did someone steal some gas when I was stopped. Nah, only one car there and I was gone less than a couple minutes inside the restroom. OK, I wish I had read my owners manual better. Last bar solid but little indicator blinking. How much gas should I have left. Not sure how many miles to destination but slow down and keep motoring. Dang no mileage signs and I can't recall how far out I am. OOPS, now a blinking last bar. This must be serious now. Slow down more........Clenched tight. Wow, finally see a truck stop. Gas about 35 cents a gallon more than at home. OK Rick...don't be stupid as this isn't a time to be frugal so stop and fill up. 4.731 gallons and 205.4 miles. I did notice that my odometer seems to be about 10% low after installing the SpeedoDRD to correct my speedo but even factoring that in......43.4 MPH.

The return trip heading into 35 MPH wind it was even worse. I believe I have a bad reading of gallons used but just 123 miles into the return trip I had already dropped two bars. Knowing how much rural riding I had until a known location for gas I went ahead and filled up......crap, 3.78 gallons ........what........32.6 MPG!!! Can't be but I had to ask for the receipt inside and I failed to notice the pump. Perhaps she gave me the wrong receipt. Perhaps not, strong winds and 75-80MPH to that point.

Oh well, I'm back and will be enjoying more relaxed riding for the balance of the tank so I can get back to reality. Speed and wind confirmed mileage killers.

Rick

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I just experienced the same thing.

I was getting mileage in the 30's on three consecutive tanksful on a 450 mile trip on the slab. I had luggage and was doing a pretty good clip.

Time is money.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I got 33mpg once on I-25 in Wyoming, doing 75-80mph (actual) into a 30mph headwind. Put 5.6 gallons in it. :yikes:

·
Administrator
13,688 Posts
My experience from about 125,000 miles of recording fuel useage show that drag from wind/speed and temperature cause the biggest increase in fuel consumption.

As far as "side winds are really disconcerting" have you raised your forks/lowered the front of the bike? I have ridden in heavy side winds and gusts over 60 mph and my bike self corrects so well I literally often take the hands off the bar just to enjoy how well it does.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
You'll be getting a certificate of graduation from the College of the Bleeding Obvious soon.
Anyone who's gone cross country has experienced the same evil lesson you have. Different bike, but I rode from Shamrock TX toward New Mexico thinking I'd get the usual 230 miles before reserve. I had to switch to reserve in Adrian Tx., 139 miles later. I ignored the "do not cross median" signs and got gas at the 1st station I could find. That was a 6 gallon tank too!
Dang winds! Of course going 75 into the head wind had no bearing on the circumstances.:green_lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Let me put this in car terms: After about 25 MPH air resistance is the biggest consumer of power (fuel) on the vehicle. Its the same on your motorcycle. Drag goes up with the square of the speed so if you travel twice as fast the drag (the big consumer of your fuel) goes up four times as much. A 20-30 MPH head wind makes a giant difference, much more than some realize.

If you took your Wee and put it inside a very streamlined body shell you would not believe how fast it could go and how much the fuel consumption could be dropped. Look at the land speed record bikes....

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I usually don't check but...

I noticed this as well on my trip to CA in June. I checked once once this past spring and I got 62.5 over 312 miles of chasing an Fjr and a Sprint, and the bike was running poorly at that. Didn't come close to this number crossing the windy NV desert with a loaded bike that was freshly tuned.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Best: 60.5mpg, cruising at 55mph (GPS) on knobbies, 80lbs of full luggage.
Worst: 33mpg, cruising at 85mph with burts for passing of ~100mph, 80lbs of full luggage. I limped into my fuel stop with 160 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny I just filled up the Wee yesterday and plugged in the numbers to see just over 39mpg. That's down from the usual 47 or so. It was quite windy last few rides, the temp has dropped, and of course then there's the old writst factor as I've been ripping it up a tad more lately on the freeway.

·
Administrator
17,237 Posts
My C14 doesn't seem to be affected, maybe the 150 HP that I have just doesn't seem to care?:fineprint:

·
Registered
710 Posts
You'll be getting a certificate of graduation from the College of the Bleeding Obvious soon.
Anyone who's gone cross country has experienced the same evil lesson you have. Different bike, but I rode from Shamrock TX toward New Mexico thinking I'd get the usual 230 miles before reserve. I had to switch to reserve in Adrian Tx., 139 miles later. I ignored the "do not cross median" signs and got gas at the 1st station I could find. That was a 6 gallon tank too!
Dang winds! Of course going 75 into the head wind had no bearing on the circumstances.:green_lol:
And the Texas panhandle has to be one of the most constantly windy places on the planet.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
My C14 doesn't seem to be affected, maybe the 150 HP that I have just doesn't seem to care?:fineprint:
That motor's barely breathing at 80 mph regardless of wind speed. Talk about headroom.

·
Registered
261 Posts
all that horsepower is enough to dismiss the laws of physics huh? LOL

or are you saying it always gets poor mileage? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Side winds are really disconcerting.
The fork brace is a help here, but if the steering stem bearings are loose, nothing helps except to correctly tighten them. Black Lab's instructions for replacing the bearings shows all the steps to access, tighten, and put everything back together.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Anyone who hasn't ridden in 30-40 mph gusty side winds for several hundred continuous miles is in for a real treat when they do.

There's something about getting your head and whole upper body snapped sideways from wind blasts every 5 to 15 seconds that affects what the bike does, not to mention wearing you down to a nub after many hrs.

This is the only environment I wished to be on the valkyrie with its barn door windshield, even if it does get just over half the fuel mileage of the 650.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone who hasn't ridden in 30-40 mph gusty side winds for several hundred continuous miles is in for a real treat when they do.

There's something about getting your head and whole upper body snapped sideways from wind blasts every 5 to 15 seconds that affects what the bike does, not to mention wearing you down to a nub after many hrs.

This is the only environment I wished to be on the valkyrie with its barn door windshield, even if it does get just over half the fuel mileage of the 650.
This thread brings back some bad memories of my trip up to the Smoky Mountains this year. 35mph winds blowing from every direction except behind me for about six hours of the trip. I was seriously whipped after that little ordeal. If memory serves I got about 32mpg on that run vs. my normal 52mpg. :yikes:

Dave...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rode from Lubbock,Tx to Amarillo,Tx into a 25mph headwind. Gps said my top speed was 98.3 mph and my average speed was 76.2. Ended up getting 28.6 mpg. So wind and speed is a fuel economy eater.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts