StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not the correct place. SORRY!

Also, probably NOT the 1st time this has been mentioned. However, it needs to be stated (again?).

I FINALLY got my Vee back together & running again after my heardlight fiasco (http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-service-maintenance-questions-discussions/69098-headlights-out-help.html). One of the things I installed was a K&N air filter. I'm glad, in hindsight, that I DID have the problems I did with my headlights. It afforded me the opportunity to "see how things work". Once I got my air box off I opened it up & quickly lost all desire NOT to eat! That air filter was NASTY!!!

So with the new air filter installed, the bike back together I started commuting to work again. Only 2 days so far, but I can happily report that my K3 Vee is BRAND NEW! Yes I did a complete oil/filter change, too. However, I've done that quite a few times since I bought the bike. This is the 1st time I've ever changed the air filter. I can say that it runs & shifts smoother. The throttle response it much smoother & noticeably more sensitive. There seems to be less chudder. It's just like a brand new bike! I didn't see any change in mpg as I haven't run a complete tank through. I've only run a partial tank from the start of the headlight repair. I just filled up today on the way home so I'll report to see if there IS a difference in a couple of tanks.

Some of you may be skeptical. All I can say is that this is what I've experienced in 2 days of commuting. Yes the weather has been a little cooler & that most likely has something to do with it. But there are too many noticeable changes to the way the bike is getting me down the road for that to be "the only" reason.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Why'd you go with a k&n rather than stock?
I'm sure that your bike runs better with a new air filter, but I hope that you won't join the armies of people proclaiming that K&N is better than stock when they're really comparing used and new as opposed to paper and oil.

In any case, it feels good to be back on the bike doesn't it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the K&N because of all the tech info that's out there. I've heard nothing but good about them. I've always wanted to try them out on any vehicle that I have and/or have had. "The Boss" gave me the go ahead once I explained the cost savings in the long run. Why wouldn't I jump at the chance?! :confused: If it works out well I'll be getting one for my truck for sure! The "family car" maybe not since we (hopefully) will be replacing it in the near (?) future.

HELL YES IT FEELS GOOD TO BE BACK ON 2 WHEELS!!! :thumbup: :hurray:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Just a little warning here: K&N filters let a lot more dirt through than paper filters. As far as I'm concerned, their only advantage is that they work when wet.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
A lot....... A bit alarmist, eh?....not really that big a concern. They flow more air, so more particles get thru......

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
K&N work well when properly serviced.....

Properly serviced, what does that mean, nobody knows

3000 miles on pavement down clean roads or is it 5 miles on a dirt road.

Once the sticky oil is coated with sufficient grit the rest gets through. Works in the wet, if the oil is washed off then where does that dirt go ?

Yes the price of a stock air filter is a ridiculous rip off especially when you consider that the weasels could have sized a car filter into the design

I will be sucking and blowing my stock one back to health

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just a little warning here: K&N filters let a lot more dirt through than paper filters.
+1

Yes they do flow more air, no question. I have had a few of them on both cars and bikes and my experience is they also pass some dirt as witnessed by build up in the intake tract or carbs.

I think for street use they are "ok" but I'd never use one in a dusty environment. I think an oiled 2 stage foam filter is superior for flowing well and keeping out the dirt as long as you clean it often and use a good filter oil.

It's hard to beat a good paper filter for quality of filtration, especially the 2 stage type with gauze on the outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts