StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, something I was thinking about tinkering around in the garage: Explain to me why they don't just add another 1/2" to an 1" of rubber onto a tire, keeping the same grove patterns, and giving us a tire that goes 100K miles?

Is it that more rubber on the tire will degrade it faster? It is that the tire itself won't support itself with that much rubber weight?

You keep hearing how tire manufacturers are "tweaking" their current tires to make them better and to get a little more mileage out of them (example: Michelin PR3's and the new PR4's...the PR4's are supposed to get 20% more tire life). It seems to me that adding more thickness of material should give people a lot more riding miles.

Heck, I'd pay more for a tire if it kept me from having to get so many tire changes every year.

This was probably covered in physics class many years ago. I think I was sick that day and missed the explanation. :var_46:

·
Registered
73 Posts
motorcycle tires are a compromise of mileage, grip, heat management, handling, load capacity, etc. Companies spend millions on research and development to come up with that round black think holding up your bike, at this point in time, it's the best technology can offer.
want more miles? go to the dark side(car tire)
Adding rubber will make it heavier, affecting handling and heat dissipation, and could end up actually wearing out faster, and will handle like crap.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Agree, deeper tread has more squirm, generates more heat, poor handling, wears faster when deep.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Heideneu K60's are built like that. Deep tread, very hard rubber compound.
Life is O.K., grip is O.K., handling is O.K.

Point is, it's not great anywhere either. They suit me, but some riders can't stand them.

Pete

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The deeper the tread, the more the tire profile flattens out over the tire's life.

If you added another 1/2" of rubber to a regular motorcycle tire, you could probably dispense with your kickstand about halfway through the tire. Just stop and walk away... it'll stay vertical. :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts