StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yep there big Ock the ones I don't like are the single flat beds with concrete pipes loaded laterally across the trailer they throw the meanest wake from about 100 metres back and try to blow you arse over when along side,I get a good run up on those buggers-:yikes:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep there big Ock the ones I don't like are the single flat beds with concrete pipes loaded laterally across the trailer they throw the meanest wake from about 100 metres back and try to blow you arse over when along side,I get a good run up on those buggers-:yikes:
I think if I came across one of those six trailer road trains I'd decide it was time to pull over for an hour to have coffee and a rest somewhere off the side of the road. :yesnod:
That would give him a good gap on me so I could ride along in clear air and not risk having to overtake it. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think if I came across one of those six trailer road trains I'd decide it was time to pull over for an hour to have coffee and a rest somewhere off the side of the road. :yesnod:
That would give him a good gap on me so I could ride along in clear air and not risk having to overtake it. :fineprint:
I would NOT take one of those on-the trailers do the odd sidestep-I'm with you Ock get the thermos and the vegemite sanga out.:yesnod:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm sure if I had to pass one of those big mothers I would probably "pass one" myself!:yikes::yikes::mrgreen:

:cheers2:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Some of the U.S. states permit triples on certain roads, but nothing near as long as the Australian road trains. The road trains are unique. There's no way for the driver to know if he ran over a motorcycle.

Those triples, in a side wind, look like a sidewinder snake going down the road, more or less in their own lane.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the V, on an open road, would be no problem. Just time it right, gun it and you would be around it in 2 Sec! No Problem. I've passed four cars, going about 60, on an open road at one time just by down shifting and turnin' the throttle.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The poor cows in the last trailers would be breathing pure dirt. Those monsters travelling at speed would blow you sideways and maybe off the bike. No thanks, I'll join you in a coffee Ock. a little milk and one sugar thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
These are worse.

I followed one of these on my outback Odyssey, should have stopped for the coffee and sanga as there is a tendency for liquid manure to flow downhill on the up hill stretches!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I followed one of these on my outback Odyssey, should have stopped for the coffee and sanga as there is a tendency for liquid manure to flow downhill on the up hill stretches!!!!!!!

Gidday Tone,how are things on the isle,have seen a few lads pull up next to a stock carrier at the lights with very smelly results,should be in the riding manwell of not to do--"I'm not going to sit behind a semi at the lights"--:green_lol:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the V, on an open road, would be no problem. Just time it right, gun it and you would be around it in 2 Sec! No Problem. I've passed four cars, going about 60, on an open road at one time just by down shifting and turnin' the throttle.
Yeah, sure you would. :fineprint:

You do realise these trucks travel at 60-90 mph+ on our outback roads :confused:

And they are something like 280 feet long, and weigh in excess of 240 tonnes or 529109 LBS

And you can't see past them for the dust they throw up [outback roads are dirt here in Oz.]

2 sec. gets you alongside the second from rear trailer with 200' to go, if there is another roadtrain coming the other way through the dust you just became a red blotch on the bullbar of the oncoming truck :jawdrop:

They don't worry about cops out there because there are virtually none to police such vast areas.

And the cops wouldn't worry about trying to stop them, unless they had already run over someone. :yikes:

Even a Hayabusa wouldn't make it around in 2 sec.

If you come here and ride our outback, remember to pull up for a coffee and a rest on the side of the road if you come up behind one of these rigs.

We like our visitors to go home to tell what a great country we have here, not go home in a bucket.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The three's and four's aren't to bad to pass. They tend to move around a lot, but the drivers will signal you when it is clear to go around. The 130 speed limit in the territory is also a bonus.

Anything bigger than that, or anything on gravel and I am setting up camp for the night.:yesnod:

We've had a few of those flat, remote controlled crawlers on jobs that I have worked on. They do an incredable job, and you can sit in them and drive them. They never let me anywhere near the controls though.

Had a golden shower following to close to a sheep truck waiting to overtake.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another risk to consider if you are going to ride blind through the dust cloud is that when the road train trailers are on dirt they do not follow the rig like they do on bitumen, instead they tend to wander from side to side, the whole set up moves like the body of a snake so that middle trailer may end up beside you or even take you out. If you see one coming head on then pull over or slow right down to first gear as you will not see much for a while once it passes.

+1 on bad experience following to close to livestock trailers, soooo much poo & sprayed urine !!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,603 Posts
They don't worry about cops out there because there are virtually none to police such vast areas.
A couple of years ago I drove from Sydney to Adelaide (about 1400km) via the Mid Western Highway. I didn't see a copper until I got to the outskirts of Adelaide.

For overseas readers, that's from the capital of New South Wales to the capital of South Australia.

I will admit I did see a cop yesterday on my way to the airport. First one I've seen all week.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Last week I did a day ride to the Carcoar Dam and back to Springwood about 300kms all up. On that day I saw 15-20 cops on HWY patrol, 5 of them writing tickets. Also I'm told there were 2 motorcycle cops and 1 HWY patrol car working a few kilometers further down the road from where I started. Thats a big total! There have been plenty of HWY patrol cars in this area since then.

Lots of dollars for the Government, no no no sorry....road safety. On a more serious note...... HWY presence is a real safety measure as opposed to bloody speed cameras.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Guys I drive B-Doubles and out on the highways where the conditions aren't the best at times. A rule of thumb to use is when approaching the rear of a long truck simply poke your nose out on the drivers side so the truck driver has a chance to see your headlight and in most cases if it safe to overtake he will signal you via his right indicator letting you know that he has both spotted you and it is safe up ahead to overtake and as you pass the truck simply a wave will let the driver know you understood his signal and he in many cases will use the UHF to let others trucks around know that a bike is out there and which direction is it is heading etc. Quite often both cars and bikes will suddenly appear past your truck at warp factor with no warning and if there is a problem ahead then it reduces the time to take avoiding action if need be so so pre-warned is prepared in the case of driving these big bangers, so keep that in mind out there and then the trip will be a lot safer for all.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Yeah, sure you would. :fineprint:
:green_lol: ... tell'm Ock.
I doubt he's ever traveled a 2 lane highway that's barely wide enough for 2 18 wheelers to pass each other in opposite directions with tons of powdered dust on each side of the road for hundreds of miles. Unless it's changed since 1970, that's what the Stuart highway was like 'tween Alice Springs and Darwin. You knew a road train was coming from at least 10 miles away.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:green_lol: ... tell'm Ock.
I doubt he's ever traveled a 2 lane highway that's barely wide enough for 2 18 wheelers to pass each other in opposite directions with tons of powdered dust on each side of the road for hundreds of miles. Unless it's changed since 1970, that's what the Stuart highway was like 'tween Alice Springs and Darwin. You knew a road train was coming from at least 10 miles away.
10 miles [16km] away is plenty of time to get well off the road and boil the Billy for a cuppa before the road train arrives. :thumbup:
:biggrinjester:

The triples have 44 wheels and the "centipede" truck with its six trailers has 110 wheels and weighs in at 205 tonnes [that's 205,000 kilograms or 451,943 pounds (lbs) US].

Maybe chuck a Tarp over the bike and sit under it drinking you coffee while the dust settles after the truck goes by, might even have time for a nap. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts