StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a DL1000 for sale that is approaching the 100K mark for sale that I have been considering. I really would like to get a KTM 990 but my wife and I decided this past week that it was time to finish our basement. Our basement is 2350 square feet and will cost us about $70k to finish so my KTM 990 dreams will not be able to happen for a year or so. In the meantime I would like to get back riding and am thinking that this bike might do in the meantime. The bike has almost 100k miles and nothing really special as far as aftermarket goodies. Also will need some new rubber soon. Claims to have been "Senior" ridden and claims no problems with the bike other than routine maintenance. What would a bike like this be worth? It's a 2005 also. I have seen some pretty loaded up 04's for around the $3500-4k range with less than 50k miles so what would you pay for a bike like the one stated above...

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
$1500-2000? It'll prolly last the year or two you want it for.....You could end up putting on another 50k, if you're not careful!

That said, you might as well get the KTM 990 right now (it's a fixed cost that can be budgeted over a few years), and phase the construction proce$$ for your basement. I don't know how hard your $70k number is, but projects such as that often succumb to scope-creep!

And besides, your wife won't want you scuttling about on an old jalopy creeper beater bike, while she is color matching the paint to the trim.....

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
+1 I am with joker. I would try at 1500 first. It has at least another 100,000 if it has been well maintained.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I wouldn't write it off just because of the mileage.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I am sure you could do a lot of the basement work yourself and pay for the Katoom

Finished basement for what purpose ? If you had like 4 kids on the way to teenagers then someplace to banish them makes sense

Bikes that run are always worth 1500 then when you blow it up you could part it out and get your money back or hang it on the wall downstairs

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Finished basement for what purpose ?
If you turn it into a "dungeon" you can make your money back in six months and have enough cash for both bikes. Given your work attire down there, you may become inclined towards the Cruiser segment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it that $3k one on ADV? Overpriced but clean. However I just got a very well farkled 05 Vee with 36k miles for $2750. I know I got a hell of a deal, but I wouldn't pay more than $1750 or so for a 90k version.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
my 2009 has almost 100,000 kms.... I expect it to last until I crash it....

truth is Bikes are crashed before they wear out, almost without exception....

for someone to put 100K on a bike and have it unscathed... that is a well looked after and carefully ridden bike IMHO.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it that $3k one on ADV? Overpriced but clean. However I just got a very well farkled 05 Vee with 36k miles for $2750. I know I got a hell of a deal, but I wouldn't pay more than $1750 or so for a 90k version.

Yes this is the one... If he was closer I would pick it up this weekend if he would take $2k for it. I realize that is probably more than it's worth though. The thing about a bike like this is since it really doesn't have much as far as farkles by the time you put on side luggage and skid plate, tank bag, etc, etc you are into a 90k mileage bike for $4k. Like I said I have seen lots of Vee's at or below $4k with half the mileage. Decisions, decisions.

About the basement. We put it out to bid and our lowest bid was about $75k. We are going to end up doing it ourselves over about a 3-4 month period and hopefully do it for about $55-60k would be our goal... We have 3 kids all under the age of 14 and the wife and I are looking forward to locking them in basement. Basement will be 3 Bedrooms, 2 full baths, a Full kitchen, laundry Theater room, Cold Storage room and some regular storage... When the kids get old enough and out of the house we can rent it out since it will have it's own entrance. Should be nice...

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Senior ridden doesn't mean much of anything. I've definitely ridden with some guys that fit that age group that are some hardcore riders. Older does not necessarily mean gentle.

I doubt I would be willing to pay any more than $2K for a bike with those miles. It probably has a lot of life left in it, but a model with significantly less miles can be had for not a lot more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize that a Vee with 90k still has alot of life left in it but you have to admit even well taken care of it has the potential for alot of stuff that is on the way out the will need replaced sooner than a bike with half the mileage. This is the main thing that makes me nervous about buying a high mileage motorcycle. Any motorcycle for that matter. Cars seem to start having issues around the 100k mark and I would imagine a motorcycle would be prone to even more since most motorcycles never even see 90k before being wrecked..

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I realize that a Vee with 90k still has alot of life left in it but you have to admit even well taken care of it has the potential for alot of stuff that is on the way out the will need replaced sooner than a bike with half the mileage. This is the main thing that makes me nervous about buying a high mileage motorcycle. Any motorcycle for that matter. Cars seem to start having issues around the 100k mark and I would imagine a motorcycle would be prone to even more since most motorcycles never even see 90k before being wrecked..
That really has not proved out to be case here. Here is one example.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/62650-dl1000-k3-200-000-mile-writeup.html

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Don't make it too nice the little bast*rds will never leave.

Oh Wait

You'll have the bike and you can be the one leaving

Save the kitchen for after they are gone

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Funny thing. . .
I too keep finding that feeding my wife & kids, paying the mortgage, etc... interferes with my bike habit.

As for the high mileage bike. . .
If you're just looking for a local commuter rig, I would say don't sweat the mileage, but if you're planning any sort of trip. . . I'd worry.
Planning a long trip on a high mileage bike is never a problem if "you" are the guy that put the mileage on the bike.
Otherwise, hold onto your cash for now.

As for price on a clean DL1000k5. . .
I'd say $3950 and a rabbit's foot would seem reasonable.
-Ej-

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That really has not proved out to be case here. Here is one example.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/62650-dl1000-k3-200-000-mile-writeup.html

I can also show you a real world statistic of my own on a 2000 Honda Civic that I have owned that has over 250k worry free miles and my current 2007 with barely over 100k and has already had a new transmission at under 90k. My only point was that as the miles go up the odds of something going wrong increase... Also when you are buying second hand you are taking someones word that they are not having any problems rather than you putting all the miles on it yourself.. Asking price for the bike I am looking at is $3k...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
There are many other examples other then this one. But to me 3000 is way too much for a bike with that mileage. If I bought a bike with 3000 or 300000 I would give it a shake down before I would put my trust in it. But to your own point age and milage and even make are not a guarantee of reliability.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 25 Posts