StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 05 wee has hesitates and sputters around 4-5k. Thought I’d take the tank off and service the fuel pump screen. It’s got 80k+ ( miles).
There is rust, but I don’t know what’s too much rust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Not enough to worry about IMO. Did the fix(External filter) on my 05 at about the same mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took my tank off, drained the gas and washed it with soapy water and rinsed several times. I got a gallon or two of Metal Rescue and let it soak for about 2 days turning frequently. It removed every spec of rust. I didn't coat it with anything and after a year there's still no rust. It also helps to keep the tank full of gas , especially in the winter when you're not riding it.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
DO NOT seal the tank unless it leaking. Putting sealer in a non leaking tank is like wiping before you poop.

I would not worry about that small amount of rust you have but f you want to clean it up in very short order go to your local farm and feed store and get a gallon of milkstone remove. Dump the gallon in the tank then top the tank up with hot water. Within a few hours all the rust will be gone and for a lot less $$ than Metal Restore. Drain the tank rinse out with hot water then dump in a quart of high proof rubbing alcohol or HEET and swish it around to help get out the remain water.

Millstone remover will remove heavy rust in around 24 hours. So for light rust less time is needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It doesn't look like the rust is bad enough to worry about. I have used a slurry of sharp aquarium gravel on the worst of tanks and after a few cycles, they are either perfectly clean or near so.

I would never use tank sealer--if it is that bad, find a good tank to replace.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,338 Posts
That isn't really what I would call rusty! Probably better than average. No worries. I will tell you that sealing is a LAST resort as you can make a big mess if it isn't applied correctly and comes loose later on......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts