StromTrooper banner

Would you buy a demo bike?

3K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  MikeB 
#1 ·
Looking at purchasing a strictly commuter bike (no offroad, rarely 2-up), either Versys or Wee, and noticed a close dealer, Romney Cycles, WV had a '13 "new" Wee demo bike with 2.8K for $500 less than a brand new '13 Wee. Would you purchase a bike that has been ridden on by potential riders? I'm not the guy that's going to tear up a demo bike during the break in period, but I'm sure there are those that want to test the bike's performance before they purchase...

Also if anyone has experience with Romney Cycles, good or bad let me know or PM me. Lastly, if anyone has thoughts on the Versys let me know. Thanks

FWIW, I need a bike that doesn't kill my legs/back after 1/2 hour, like my ER-6n does.:thumbdown: I WILL miss the speed and low center of gravity that makes it sooo flickable.:yesnod:

Matt

#7 ·
I agree with this guy.

No matter what I may have said about him in the past.

#9 ·
I agree with this guy.
Somewhere, pigs are flying! (and don't turn this into another Harley bashing thread).

P.S. Does the first generation Wee have a rev limiter? Bumble V took a nap during a serious off-road session and hit the red line :yikes:

#4 ·
Personally I'd pony up the $500 for a new one that I'd know the complete history on - if nothing else but for peace of mind.

But if you're looking to save as much $ as you can, then one thing you must decide is which side of the "break-in procedure" fence you're on... either the ride it gentle like the manual says, or the hard and fast (Motoman) approach. There are lots of threads on that here, and at least for me, that would contribute to a decision like you're facing.

#5 ·
In 1999 I bought a 99 Yamaha Venture. That was a new model that year and the Yamaha sales reps were each given one to ride for the summer. At the end of the season they could buy it or sell them off. The rep I talked to was selling one with 600 miles on it for $12,000 when the bike stickered for $16,000. The bike was under full warranty and I had no major issues with it. I put on 48,000 miles on it in 3 years.

So if I felt that the bike was not abused I'd not be afraid of a demo. I'd want a lot more than $500 off though. More like $2000.

#6 ·
I agree with the other post as to the value of depreciation being more than the $500, closer to the $1500 and have the first service covered by them too. Or just shop around and you'll probably get that much off a new bike, as for the break in, ride it like you stole it and you'll be fine.
Oh, and the Versys, I almost bought one when looking too, but for me the long distance riding on it was too vibey, so went with the Wee.

#11 ·
Another vote for the new one. Not near enough discount for the miles. Not scared of the miles or it being a demo, just not a better deal. I have seen them advertising very good deals on Cycle Trader. Buy the new one and go riding!

#13 ·
I would pass on a demo bike for $500 off. Consider the bike to have had 50 owners already, and some of them trying to wheelie it, revving it way up. Mishandling it.

If you buy it and something bad happens you would always wonder if it was because of that. Get a spanking new one and break it in properly and do all the maintenance etc. Keep accurate records of everything. It would be a lot better IMO.

#15 ·
Not enough discount.

Confirm that the full warranty starts when you buy it, not when the bike was first ridden.

#19 ·
$500 off is the least i would get off the price of brand new bike, when i buy a brand new bike. A demo, i'd say get $1500-2000 off.
I dont know how much is a new Wee is priced in your dealer, but if the price tag says X amount of dollars and i got cash in my hand, i'll never pay whats on the price tag, got cash in your hand and they want that cash, better work out a deal! No matter how hard they are to negotiate with, bring cash im your pocket and you've got an upper hand in the negotiation table :D

#20 ·
2.8K miles on a demo bike? That sounds strange right there. I've taken a couple of demo rides (BMW dealerships especially will not let you out the door without one) but they are rarely more than 10 miles or so. That would be 280 demo rides during the year, or about one every day that the dealership is open. Including winter. That just doesn't seem reasonable.

It was probably a loaner or a bike that dealership employees borrowed for errands or weekends. Not that it makes any difference 'cause I agree with the others that $500 is not enough of a discount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.