StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you buy a bike without a test ride?
I have been making preparations to buy a DL1000 that is quite a distance away. I was just informed that I may not be able to take it for a ride.
would you buy a bike without a test ride?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A new one, not a used one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

^^^ This ^^^^

even then it would have to be a bike I am familiar with, like a New Strom...

show up cash in hand to purchase, you may find the owner more receptive to the idea, he may be saying this to keep the non-serious buyers away...

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I bought my last 2 bikes without a test ride. You can sit on it, and start it up, so you can basically tell if it fits you. The only thing you can't tell would be handling issues or lack of power. Power you can guess at from HP and Torque. Read some reviews before you go sit on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my last 2 bikes without a test ride. You can sit on it, and start it up, so you can basically tell if it fits you. The only thing you can't tell would be handling issues or lack of power. Power you can guess at from HP and Torque. Read some reviews before you go sit on it.
I am used to a V-max so no Strom is EVER going to have enough torque.

I am going to a Suzuki dealer to sit on a 650. I realize I can do things to the seat, lower the pegs and raise the handlebars.

I just was taken aback when the guy said "I have sold many bikes over the years and never had anyone test drive them."

just makes me VERY leery....:confused:

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Well make them buddy ride you

Sit on the back and listen

Up thru the gears until at least 70 mph

If they won't do that then don't travel

Have cash and a friend offer to let them hold your wallet/car keys etc.

Money talks nobody walks

If you don't look like a problem I am sure they will relent and be inclined to acquiesce.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am used to a V-max so no Strom is EVER going to have enough torque.
No nothing will have enough torque but at least now you'll be able to turn at slow speeds. :green_lol:

I test rode a V-Max at a Yamaha demo day at my dealership. It felt like a tank slow. You tended to have to muscle it around. On the road not as much of a problem though. The 1000cc sports bike in front of me tried to take off on me and I just rolled it on with him.... Neat bike. Wouldn't be my first choice to ride (especially after buying my V-Strom) but I could see owning one for an occasional ride.

I rode mine but only in the parking lot. I bought it from a dealer I trust though. (I know them pretty well)

Other than that I would probably insist on a ride. Hand him the keys to your car/truck maybe that will make him feel like your not gonna take off on it.

I know selling dad's KLR they guy didn't ask. But we have a pretty decent back road and could ride there. We started it up etc. He was getting a pretty sweet deal as dad was just trying to recoup some of the cash he was out on his new V-Strom,....Which was new when we bought it and we still test rode it.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
In all the years I've been riding and looking at bikes, I've only been in two dealerships that allowed test rides. One was a Harley dealer that was fine with a test ride as long as I signed all the waiver and liability agreements; the other was a Suzuki dealer where the manager treated me so badly that I ended up buying the bike from someone else.

As far as used bikes, I'm kind of split; I wouldn't want to buy a used one without trying it out, but I'm really leery of letting someone I don't know test ride the Road King I'm selling.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Before travelling, clear it with them that you want a test ride, and willing to put the full amount in their hand with a receipt of course, they just don't want someone riding off with their bike or crashing and walking away....... you'd do the same.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've sold three bikes in the last couple of years, two buyers wanted a test ride and the third did not. I took the cash before the rides.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know many wouldn't let you ride, mainly because if something happens and you wreck it, now what? Would you let a stranger test ride your bike and what happens if it gets wrecked? I know a popular thing is to hand over the cash before you ride, and if it comes back in one piece, the cash is refundable........ dealers may let you ride a demo bike if they have one.....
Best have a conversation when you arrive, talk about your experience as a rider, that you're not a hooligan (and don't be on that ride), etc. Develop the rapport and you might get your test ride....
Also beware if the bike is all warmed up before you get there. You want a cold start so you can see if there's blue smoke, hard starting issues...... then warm it up......... review his maintenance log........
I have bought a few bikes without riding them, a couple sight unseen. One older bike, was warm when I got there. When I got it home, it was a hard starter, but nothing I couldn't fix. Research ahead of time the typical issues that historically pertain to the model......

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Ever buy a nice fancy shirt without trying it on? Prolly not.........I'm curious as to if you've ever ridden a Vstrom before? You may not like it, but that's unlikely. The Vstrom I have, a 2006 650, was looking sad and lost sitting amongst all the Harleys at one of those spring-sales-events at a HD dealership. They were more than glad to let me test ride it, for I'd never ridden a Vstrom and was very curious about what the big deal was about the bike. As soon as I got it out onto the roadway, and settled into the commanding, yet comfy rider's compartment, I was smitten....it happened that fast.

Perhaps this guy does not have insurance on the motorbike anymore, since he's selling it, and it might have a lapsed registration too? - therefore, no test ride. Kinda stupid of the seller to hinder one's self by not allowing a test ride, but people are generally stupid. And REALLY, the average guy or gal looking at a Vstrom ain't no Top Gun fighter pilot spazzoid, and generally knows how to ride a bike quite well, thank you. The seller begins by insulting his buyer, not a great way to begin. Personally, I would want to ride a USED bike before buying one - buying new?, I'd be fine without a test ride, since there's little chance it has any battle damage (frame issues, worn drivetrain, no-damping shocks, etc.). New is new, used is used - buyer beware. It's a lot of money to spend on a used widget, and not perform your due-diligence with a test ride. It's important, me thinks.

If I hadn't taken my test ride, I don't know how motivated I'd be to buy a bike that I was uncertain about, as in how it moved under power, handled, riding position while moving (so different than static impressions), etc. Lastly - I realize you gotz a boner for a Vstrom, but don't fall in love with the deal - always be willing to walk away. With all the excitement over the new generation DL1000, I'm sure there will be quite a few nicely used 1st generation DL1000's coming into Craigslist very soon, for you to choose from.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bought my strom without a test ride...

Got a feel for the guy, inspected the crap out of the bike, and he had all the issues I brought up fixed at the dealership...

You can get a good reading from the PO, the shape of the bike and receipts... I could not test ride it that day, and did not want to loose the deal..

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My last two I bought without a test ride. But they did have safety certificate.

1st one because i had never ridden a bike before and second one because it was a few hours away.

When I was selling my bike I told people you can test ride it, but I want the cash in my hand, if you crash it you bought it and it's not going through my insurance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He has relinquished somewhat since I told him to forget the whole deal.
when he asked about my riding experience and I told him of my 36 years with a cycle endorsement I think that helped as well.

He claims to have a $500 deductible on insurance and doesn't want to be out that if I dump it. There is still a lot of snow on the ground where it is.
this is a 2012 that I will finance and he owes money on so a lot has to be worked out. I will be showing up with my family and a trailer so I don't think he is worried about me taking off with the bike.

I would not buy a new bike without a test ride either. BMW dealer had me drive a few.. and I didn't buy one.

·
Registered
653 Posts
All the more reason to ride whatever you can when dealers have ride days ...

·
Registered
770 Posts
What he said...
(Although, not without sitting on it at the dealer, checking the ergos, and doing my due diligence in terms of research, YouTube user reviews, etc.).

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
If I were to buy a Glee today I'd have no problem buying without a test ride but that's 'cause I know what I am getting after owning a Wee. I am not sure I'd buy a Vee today without a test ride.

When I went to buy my K6, I had no idea. After a lot of research I thought it was the right bike for me but I did not know. The dealer had one in the crate in back somewhere and they assembled and set it up for me. The salesman said "I suppose you want a test ride?" and my response was "Only if you want my money." End of discussion and I was off for a test ride. Thirty minutes later I was back and happy as hell. We made our deal and I have been happy ever since. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts