StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday I received my new rear tire, but hesitate to put it on before wearing out the current one as much as possible. What's your opinion on a tire like this for commuting around town: cheap or dangerous?

To clarify, I'm not asking in terms of road grip (I'm sort of enjoying the racing slick feel), but about risking a blowout....

·
Registered
588 Posts
My guess is that you've never experienced a blowout. You're definitely throwing the dice if you run that tire. I push the envelope but that's beyond what I'd be willing to gamble with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Are you serious? That tire was toast long ago. What is your life worth? Certainly more than the price of a new tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fryman: see photo 2.

And this is only a semi-serious question. Yes, of course it's stupid and not worth it to ride on this for long. In reality, I'll get it changed on my first day off, but I thought someone might swoop in and support riding down to the threads. At least around town. Maybe even offer up a competing photo...

Safety's not a joke. But still.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I would not ride on it. It's not a car and only two wheels so it could be deadly

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
You must be joking.

The photo is of an ex-tire. It is dead.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have had a blowout on a rear tire - at 70 mph. Got lucky and didn't loose it and go down. Needed an underwear change after I got stopped and on the side of the interstate.

Note: I was not running a bald tire. I had a new tire on the back in fact. It was a small piece of a radial (steel fibers showing) that I ran over (never even saw it, one of my riding buddies did). Apparently picked it up with my front tire, slung it to the rear where it promptly snapped off my valve stem. The guys I was riding with said that it looked like I had just slammed the brakes on in an emergency stop. One went to either side of me and the three cars behind them managed to slow enough to do a lane change and avoid hitting me. Again - this is one moment in riding I hope to never repeat. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've got nothing on my local grocery store clerk. :jawdrop:

I vote for changing it now!:yesnod:
:thumbup: That's all I wanted! - someone to ease my guilt. I bought my Wee with the bald tire and the new one got lost in shipping for a month.

I blew that tire in the photo going about 65 with a hundred pounds of gear on that little 250. I was on a long trip and the tire looked good when I started, but it was old, and with the extra weight and constant 500+ mile days, wore down to nothing after several thousand miles. I didn't go down, luckily. But then had to drive ~20 miles on the rim to Stewart, one of the most end-of-the road places on Earth. And then had to wait 4 days for an oversized Harley Tire to arrive on the weekly truck(the only thing I could get), and then changed the tire with oversized screw drivers and dish soap. It was all definitely a bitch at the time, but now it's nice to look back and smile at it. Only after I finished did a guy at the garage mention that he had tire irons at home...

And now I know - bring tire irons.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
considering how much you wear down the middle, might want to czech out the DARKSIDE thread.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
i've run rear tires around town well until the cords were showing all the way around.... but I was a starving college student and just babied it around at 20mph for a few months....

anyway, for the highway I'd never risk it, and now that I have the means to be safe rather than sorry I make it a habit to order new tires the very day I start to see abnormal wear patterns, or if a tire only have a few hundred miles left... it really isn't worth the risk, I mean come on let's say you get another 200 miles out of that tire... your saving (200miles/8000miles)X100 percent, or roughly 2.5 percent of the tires life, and considering a nice tire for the v-strom is about 130 bucks your potential savings are $3.25... that's right three dollars and twenty five cents will be your windfall of savings by gambling your life.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had a flat just last Thursday so the memory is still fresh in my mind.:yikes:Maybe I had it coming as I was running a plug and it came out on a downhill right hand sweeper at 120kph. I was on a 5 day trip and loaded with around 100lbs of gear.It was subtle at first but was wagging pretty good by the time I pulled over and the tire was completely flat.I kept her up on 2 wheels somehow.
Funny thing is I ran a plug on the last tire over 8000kms. I will NEVER run a plug again unless only to get me to a new tire. It sucked to remove the tire as it only had maybe 2500kms on it. Cost $260.00 for a new tire installed.Best money I spent this month.:yesnod:
I hope I never experience that feeling again.You talk about an a$$ puckering moment. It took me a good half hour to get my underwear out of my a$$ later that day.:green_lol:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Hi all,What's your opinion on a tire like this for commuting around town: cheap or dangerous?
Some approaches to maximizing tire life:
  • Some women are attracted to danger. I'm not sure, however, if Lindsay's ankle bracelet will clear the pipes.

• If you do more stoppies, I think you can squeeze maybe another 1500 ft. out of that thing. Plus, if it's gonna pop, it'll pop when coming off the aforementioned stoppie.

• Something else you can do, is just do figiure eights - squeezing as much life as you can out of that tire could be like an episode of "Seinfeld"'

• You can even start pools with the local EMS crews to see who can most closely guess the final odo reading before it goes, you get to keep 50% of the total to defray the cost of your co-pay.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
You've got nothing on my local grocery store clerk. :jawdrop:

I vote for changing it now!:yesnod:
Circumstances led me to a similar rear a few changes ago. I wasn't too worried about the lack of tread, but when I removed the tire, I was visibly shaken by the diaphanous membrane between me and the road. I could nearly push my thumb through it. I thought there was more substance behind those cords, but there ain't.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hi all,

Yesterday I received my new rear tire, but hesitate to put it on before wearing out the current one as much as possible. What's your opinion on a tire like this for commuting around town: cheap or dangerous?

To clarify, I'm not asking in terms of road grip (I'm sort of enjoying the racing slick feel), but about risking a blowout....

the cheap scottsman in me requires I do this to all my tires.... my last trail wing looked like this, I got caught in a rain storm one morning and had it replaced at the first bike shop I passed that had one in stock.... my next tire will be a Darkside.... it will be the 6th rear tire on my 09....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts