StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head lights when on bright seem to points up at the trees on the left side of the road. Oddly enough, the low beams seem pretty good. They definitely seem better than the brights.

Do you think it's reasonable to ask a dealer to align them on warranty? I bought my bike w/36miles used from a dealer 400 miles away, so it's not like I am returning to the dealer where I bought my bike for the service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. My high beams seem to point to outer space. The low beams also seem diffuse and unfocused. When I brought the bike to the dealer for my ($250!) 600 mile oil change, I asked them to adjust the headlights. Instead, they gave me a copy of the service manual page showing how to adjust the headlights, and said to do it myself. I'm thinking of writing to Suzuki about it. Meanwhile, I avoid night riding. Seems like I deserve more than this for the $9100 out-the-door I paid.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Same here. And the blue high beam light is pretty glaring also! :thumbdown:

Seems like customer service is a thing of the past, if it ever was there that is. I brought my truck in for a front end alignment and nearly $400 later it's marginally better.

I may try and adjust the high beams myself here though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also have that problem, I'm going to adjust it myself. I fixed the bright high beam indicator by cutting a round piece of electrical tape and putting it over the light, now all I get is a nice glow around the tape. I think if someone came up with the correct fitting bulb at about 1/4 the brightness it would be great.

P.S. If this is the only problem I have out of this bike it will be great.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a surface mounted LED, not a bulb. Replacement would be very difficult and it may not be possible to do it with less light.

·
38,048 Posts
LEDs don't burn out. Isolated, small signal LEDs typically last hundreds of thousands of hours before light output falls to 50% of original output.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
My head lights when on bright seem to points up at the trees on the left side of the road. Oddly enough, the low beams seem pretty good.
Look at the base of the bulb through the headlight lens. It sounds like the bulb (or both) are not correctly seated in the light housing. You can see this from the front more easily than from the back. The bulb needs to be in the orientation shown in this picture with the center contact on top, and the three wings of the base seated in their slots. Resetting the bulb in its housing is easy. When I pull off the rubber boot, I put a dab of silicone lube on the area of the boot that fits over the housing...it is easier on and off the next time.

·
Administrator
13,567 Posts
For what it's worth It really is a fairly easy job to adjust the headlights and doing so can make the lights feel many times brighter.

Put the bike on the centerstand and point it to a wall, or a sheet of cardboard that has some horizontal lines in it. Mask one headlight while you adjust the other and then repeat on the other side making sure they are at the same level. Go for a little ride and see the results then adjust them both the same amount and try again. It is amazing how much difference a pair of properly adjusted headlights can make!

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,567 Posts
Same here. And the blue high beam light is pretty glaring also! :thumbdown:
I found the blue high beam indicator to be a major annoyance when I got my NewStrom. (My eyes are very senstitive to glare.) I considered putting a bit of tape to block most of the blue light but never did. Now with over 15,000 km I find I don't notice it anymore.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
True, there are failures. Burn out just isn't the way they fail. I had a bad batch of LED brake lights that had bad connections. Surface mounting is an automated operation that has to be done just right.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
True, there are failures. Burn out just isn't the way they fail.
Agreed, it's not typical, but put one across a 9 volt battery without a current limiting resistor and it will burn out before too much time goes by. :mrgreen:

Manufacturing process is much better these days, and I haven't seen one pop in a very long time, maybe 1978. Failures were fairly common in those days.

I do suspect the high power LEDs, protected by heat sink, are more susceptible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The adjustment is easy but at least here in Virginia headlight adjustment is part of the state inspection process so if you paid for dealer set up and that included inspection then they should have set it up properly.

I am glad I am not the only one that hates how bright the high beam indicator is. I placed a piece of electrical tape over the thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My head lights when on bright seem to points up at the trees on the left side of the road. Oddly enough, the low beams seem pretty good. They definitely seem better than the brights.

Do you think it's reasonable to ask a dealer to align them on warranty? I bought my bike w/36miles used from a dealer 400 miles away, so it's not like I am returning to the dealer where I bought my bike for the service.
Yeah same problem with mine. My high beam is set so high it spots possums in the trees at nights. The dealer should have set the alignment correctly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For what it's worth It really is a fairly easy job to adjust the headlights and doing so can make the lights feel many times brighter.

Put the bike on the centerstand and point it to a wall, or a sheet of cardboard that has some horizontal lines in it. Mask one headlight while you adjust the other and then repeat on the other side making sure they are at the same level. Go for a little ride and see the results then adjust them both the same amount and try again. It is amazing how much difference a pair of properly adjusted headlights can make!

..Tom
THANK YOU for posting a my-god-just-do-it-yourself reality check in the nicest way possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"headlight aim is dependent on suspension preload and how much you weigh, or how much you weigh + additional weight cargo/pillon. not something a dealer can determine when they setup the bike out of the crate for your specific use"

All they have to do is sit an average adult male on the bike and check the adjustment of the lights. I disagree that adjusting the lights is easy. Not only must the vertical alignment be checked, the horizontal must be focused. I get up at 5 for work most days, and the sun doesn't fully go down this time of year until 9-9:30. I wish I had the kind of (retired) life where I had the ample spare time to spend adjusting the lights (in the dark), riding the bike, then adjusting the lights again, riding it again, etc. The mosquitoes are as thick as raindrops this time of year in my neighborhood. Standing outside in the dark getting eaten by mosquitoes hoping I got the lights right is not something I am interested in doing. I paid $9,100 out the door. Don't I deserve to have lights that work as they should? How much do you have to pay for a new bike now to get decent service? $12,000? $15,000?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
THANK YOU for posting a my-god-just-do-it-yourself reality check in the nicest way possible.
Perhaps the dealer should have adjusted the suspension to suit your riding style as well?
THANK YOU for posting a my-god-don't-expect-the-least-bit-of-support-from-your-dealer (sic) reality check in the most churlish [dickheadish] way possible.

Quite frankly, a good dealer should be happy to help someone get their suspension preload setup as a courtesy when buying a new bike, especially if they paid full msrp, more so, if they paid and assembly fee.

In addition, a good dealer, would check the tires for the correct pressure, give the bike a general "ready to ride" once over and make sure it's clean.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts