StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from picking up my Wee in Salt Lake. It was such a wild ride I thought I'd share it.

The plan was to drive (from Colorado) to Salt Lake and throw the bike in the back the truck. The weather has been way too sketchy around here and it was supposed to rain all weekend anyway. Also, I had pretty much zero interstate/highway experience so it seemed like the safest bet.

Saturday morning, getting ready to head out, the fuel pump on the truck goes out. No back up truck so we have to drive a car and commit to riding it back. Not the best, but should be fine. We get to Salt Lake and this ominous sky is rolling in and showing no signs of leaving. Leave the next morning around 7:30 or 8 and my father-in-law was taking the first shift. Went the back way to catch U.S. 40 and it ends up being about 30 degrees and snowing near Park City. Both of us were underprepared for the cold in terms of gloves, everything else was good though. We switched out at the top of the pass and I suffered for a little bit.

The ride improved until we got to Rangely, CO where the wind was just ridiculous. There were 30 - 40 mph gusts (crosswinds) for the entire second half of the ride :jawdrop:. We would have stopped for the night but there is NO WHERE to stay in these parts of the state. We just took our time, pulled the caribou cases off, and hoped for the best. 11 hours later, we rolled into the drive.

I drove a little over the half the time, and it was a pretty eye-opening ride. The Wee did fantastic the entire time, and I was incredibly impressed with it. When it wasn't snowing or blowing, I was loving the ride. I'll try to post some pics of my new ride soon. Everyone enjoy Memorial Day tomorrow and ride safe.

Cheers,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats from Don in the Springs
glad you made it home safe and sound. sounds like it was a trip you will not forget soon

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the reverse route back on the 20th.

Planned on a fly and drive to Denver from Salt Lake but weather never looked to cooperate so I drove my truck. Grand Junction to Vail had it all - high winds, snow, hail...Made for a long day but glad to be a new owner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, glad we got back when we did. It was snowing all day here, but it's supposed to be 70 tomorrow and sunny. The weather this year (worldwide) has been something to behold. I did sneak out for a quick ride today when the weather broke for a bit... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been commuting since day 1 - in anything other than outright downpour or sticking snow. We've had it all in the last 7-10 days.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy a streetbike.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Man, ya'll got it ROUGH. Down here in God's Country, we've been in full-blown-Summer for over a month now...and Spring was nothing to complain about either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts