StromTrooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Best wind protection of any bike I have ever owned so it is all perspective.
First gen 650 with handguards, heated grips and Givi windshield. Core and hands stay warm and even legs with good pants.

I use a heated vest if longer rides or really cold.
Same here. After switching from a Sportster to my 2017 650 I was surprised how warm and even dry (for shorter rides in the rain) I stayed due to the tank protecting my knees amd the Givi windshield. I added heated grips, hand muffs, a heated vest and with the right clothing it’s quite possible to ride in sub-freezing weather, especially if you keep it under an hour.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm worried that lack of wind protection will have me freeze to death.
too many CONS when ridding during winter:
-uncomfortable when cold feet hands or core body
-too much at risk due to possible ice patches
-getting cough in the snow blizzard
-hard tires
-gravel on roads
-dealing with dirty visor and screen when following cars
-getting your gear filthy
-getting salty brine all over your aluminum parts
-limited movement when dressed up like a Michelin man
-can't even wash the salt off when you get home
-I am sure a missed a few more....

when too hot or too cold my bikes stay in the garage, together with all the "specialty heated/cooling gear" that I bought thinking it will be fun ridding in extreme weather conditions

p.s. can't think of too many PRO's except the "happy I took my bike for a ride today" feeling 😉

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hate cold.

I have freeze out head/neck/shoulder, helps blocking wind ($30)

thermal top and bottom ($30)

shirt/short ($10)

heated vest ($190)

jacket($20)

riding jacket($220)

"winter/rainproof" boot ($80)

I'm comfortable in the 30s but my feet will start freezing. it's just only single layer of sock, so I'd probably add windproof sock layer.

Heated Gloves ($180)

I only have Suzuki hand guard on one handle(other side is broken), once it's cold, it's cold. After that it's pain and hand guard doesn't do much anymore for me. Just takes longer to get cold and warms up faster. Useless when 30* or so it seems for me

Though, more I move, the more cold air can seep in a bit, so I tend to be less "antic" in the cold.

Probably another $100 and I'd be comfortable for 20s.

Coming from the guy who doesn't like 68* or colder.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd join you!

What heated gloves do you have? I have Hotwired but definitely could've been better
Just some Highway 21 battery operated ones. They arent great but my fingers dont ache due to cold. My wife has ones that connect to her bike battery ( warm n safe I think) that work a lot better. Also, it could easily be just me but heated grips never did much for me below 40,.I cant even tell if they are on or off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
. Also, it could easily be just me but heated grips never did much for me below 40,.I cant even tell if they are on or off.
I have Oxfords, I can definitely tell that they're on, but if I crank them up my palms are burning and the backs of my hands are still freezing. I picked up some heated gloves for sub-50 temps, they're too bulky but better than freezing fingers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
With hippo hands and oxford grips, you'll be toasty on medium heat. And you can wear a regular summer glove and have exvcellent dexterity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Others have mentioned a better than stock windshield for your torso, and heated grips and guards for your hands. I never worried too much in the past since north Texas normally has a couple of weeks of real winter weather. Now I live in Denver, and it turns out winter is a real thing in some states. Who knew?

Although I haven't tried these, I've seen ads for wind deflectors that attach to the front forks to ostensibly give your legs some wind protection. Does anybody have experience with them?

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm considering moving from a sport tourer to a Strom, but the deciding factor is if I can ride in the winter (25-45F). I'm worried that lack of wind protection will have me freeze to death. Change my mind. And thanks in advance!
I bought my 2014 1000 Vee a few months ago thinking I was going to get rid of my ST 1300 but I just couldn’t let it go. It’s been great having it on the handful of cold days here in Central Florida. Electric windscreen, heated grips and the engine on that ST runs hot. I complain about it in the summer but love it in the winter. Lack of wind protection on the V is just too much on cold days for me. It’s a bit much at speed even on warm days. I do love the low and mid range torque and the upright seating position though.
PS. I’m nowhere near as comfortable cornering on the V whereas the ST requires no effort. I’m still not entirely sure which bike I’ll be trailering to the Smokies for my yearly pilgrimage🤔
Keep us posted. Good luck

·
Registered
502 Posts
PS. I’m nowhere near as comfortable cornering on the V whereas the ST requires no effort.
Could be you're just not used to the Vee yet. I got a DRZ supermoto a couple months ago, even though it's much lighter than my wee and has better tires, I'm way more comfortable cornering on the wee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've ridden down to 16 degrees on my Strom. A taller than stock windsheild (which nearly every Strom owner has) and heated grips and jacket do the grip. You'll be warm if you have no exposed flesh, the neck can benefit from a balaclava or gaiter. I use something from a company called Biker St Wind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wind buffeting and wind protection seems to be a common irritation factor with the V-Strom. Sounds like a fairing manufacturer needs to come up with a suitable high and wide windscreen (up to stop the helmet buffet, out to covering the handgrips and down to stop the airflow coming around the tank into the nether regions) that we can all hide behind out of the breeze and cold. While a large Harley type screen may be too dramatic, a smaller one may just be fine.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts