StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering moving from a sport tourer to a Strom, but the deciding factor is if I can ride in the winter (25-45F). I'm worried that lack of wind protection will have me freeze to death. Change my mind. And thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Handguards, possibly heated grips and generally no problems. Admitted it usually doesn't get that cold here but I handle big temperature changes just fine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm considering moving from a sport tourer to a Strom, but the deciding factor is if I can ride in the winter (25-45F). I'm worried that lack of wind protection will have me freeze to death. Change my mind. And thanks in advance!
It depends on what "wind" you have been use to. My HD Ultra Classic blocked every bit of wind. My Vee seems to let every bit of it through. But, I dress accordingly. I made an electric vest for when it is really cold. And I put heated grips on the Vee. I've ridden highway speeds at 18F -- not something I'd want to do all day every day, but it is an option. Bottom line: does the Strom have good wind protection? No. does that mean the Strom should not be ridden below 45F? No. It depends more on you than on the bike. Plan for the cold, ride in the cold. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I will say that the front fairing on my 2004 is completely useless at keeping wind off my legs. The smaller fairing on my fz1 creates a more complete pocket. In terms of upper body protection it is fine for me.

·
Administrator
13,963 Posts
I ride down to 0f/-18 c and have been doing so since my first Strom in 2006.

Good gear is the answer.

..Tom

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
308 Posts
There are better options if you want to be COMFORTABLE below ~35*.

Taller windscreen, heated grips, grip hippos, hood, Goretex suit over heated gear, thermals, and street clothes, and I’m still uncomfortable below about 35*.

There’s no getting away from the wind blast. It didn’t bug me as much my first winter. I lost some weight, my cold tolerance went down, and I just avoid riding below ~35* now. I think my coldest ride was ~22*. It was miserable even with all of that gear on.

I don’t want to own a BMW product, my but next ride will likely be a R1200 GSA. That or a Super Tenere. Just my two cents.

·
Vendor
5,578 Posts
A V-strom simply does not have the same kind of lower body weather protection for the rider as an ST1300 or FJR1300. That said, riding pants, a heated jacket liner and heated gloves are all you need for the coldest days. My jacket and pants are also water proof, so I don't miss my ST1300s weather protection much at all.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
308 Posts
Ride much during the winter (or keep an eye out for who’s riding) and you’ll notice a pretty consistent theme. In my area at least...pretty much the only thing you’ll see out and about this time of year is motorcycles with a full fairing/better wind protection. Large cruisers, touring bikes, the better protected adventure bikes, etc.

The exception to that is the folks bundled up like the kids from ‘A Christmas Story’. Sure...these folks are riding during the winter, but check out their riding posture. They’re ducking down behind the windscreen trying to take advantage of it for all it’s worth.

The REAL question to me (OP)...what is your budget? If $5k+ and you’re going into it thinking that you’re going to be doing a lot of cold weather riding...I’d consider something else.

There are winter days that I don’t go riding at this point because I just don’t feel like going through the trouble of putting all of that crap on (stuff mentioned in previous post) and still being cold.

There is a BIG difference between tolerating cold and being comfortable in the cold. Riding on my Strom, it’s definitely the former, rather than the latter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Best wind protection of any bike I have ever owned so it is all perspective.
First gen 650 with handguards, heated grips and Givi windshield. Core and hands stay warm and even legs with good pants.

I use a heated vest if longer rides or really cold.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
  • Where are you located???
  • What do you currently ride?

·
Registered
775 Posts
What's your mission for winter riding? Do you want to pop down to the store to get some milk and eggs, or do you have a 40 mile highway commute?

I rode my '06 650 over eight long PA winters, as long as the streets were dry and a couple stupid times when they weren't. The wind protection is pretty poor overall compared to sport tourers and I have to wear more gear and use electric heat to reach anything resembling comfort. It would not be my pick for the highway in cold.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Heated liner and gloves coupled with wind/water proof gear (including boots) keeps me warm down to 10. Cover it all up with a rain suit to keep out the wind and it's even better. And I don't wear thick stuff. Under Armour 4's top and bottom, windproof heated jacket liner, then windproof Klim Inversion jacket to cinch/tighten everything together and topped off by wind-prooof armored jacket. Pants are unlined windproof with a long neck gator inside jacket that seals against bottom of helmet. Easy to cover with a windproof rain suit if needed. If you keep the wind out you won't get cold. Many times I'm actually sweating and have to turn my heat down, but leave one tiny gap and you'll freeze like hell. Has nothing to do with the bike - when it's cold , it's cold.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
I ride down to 0f/-18 c and have been doing so since my first Strom in 2006.

Good gear is the answer.

..Tom
Ditto on what V-Tom said.

The V-Stroms don't really have much wind protection, it comes down to gear. The coldest I have ridden, quite a few years ago, was 27° F and I was cold when I got to work. Lesson learned, proper gear. I now ride in the high 30° F's and 40° F's in the spring and fall and have been reasonably comfortable with layering the proper gear. I don't have heated gear but I think it would make it very comfortable.

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
V Tom said it all. Good gear! Hand guards help, heated grips help a different windshield helps. For lower protection Aerostich tank panniers are pretty nifty. Good gear, like Aerostich is excellent. I currently am using a Helite air bag jacket with Roadcrafter pants. I use a Gerbing heated jacket liner under it. It's passable but not as good as an Aerostich Darien jacket.

·
Registered
1050XT Adventure
152 Posts
I started with a 2014 DL650 and currently ride a 2020 1050.

Effective gear. Layers & heated gear. You do not need the "best" gear, just smart gear. I have been riding in PA through this winter using the following:
Boots - wool socks & heated insoles
Olympia pants - silk or mid-weight thermal long underwear & wind blocking pants (rain pants or old Army PT pants)
Olympia coat - lightweight long sleeve shirt, heated jacket, light or mid-weight shirt (to keep the heat close to me)
Helmet - balaclava or neck gaiter & thin skullcap
Gloves - Heated or grip heaters, handlebar muffs (Storm Industries, or Hippo Hands)

Have ridden in temps down to ~14F and have been comfortable. I could probably go lower if I wore my Olympia full suit that has better wind resistance.

All of this gear can be had a reasonable prices if you search. Most of my thermal underwear came from the Army, but can be purchased off season at any sporting goods stores.
Classifieds here or on other forums, spring clearance sales & thrift stores are great places to find gear.

It all comes down to being comfortable without comprising flexibility.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well......

The guys from Canada will tell you that is sweater weather.

The temperatures you listed will kill most guys from the southern states, just walking to the mailbox.

I live half way in between. I use a few articles of gear when it is cold.
  • polypropylene long undies
  • Gortex gear, 1 piece suit best
  • Gerbings heated vest
  • Gortex mittens
  • Full face helmet
  • Warm socks

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
When the temperature drops to freezing, not only do the roads get slippery, but your tires also get hard. Not a good combination.
It's very cold on your hands, so you need hand guards, and heated gloves.
Wind hitting your body needs to be blocked, and you need heated jacket liner. A rain coat over top of your armored gear should keep you warm, especially with heated vest underneath. You can also add rain liners over your gloves, like the three finger ones that aerostich sell. They also work to keep your gloves dry in rain so a good investment anyway.
In order to manage all this heated stuff, be sure your bike has enough juice. The old Vee had a lot of issues with this, and a volt meter was required to ensure you were not killing your battery while riding around.
I never had issues with my butt, legs or feet getting cold, but some people do.. apparently. Full face helmet should keep your face/head/neck warm.
Another idea for really cold is to add hippo hands. I never tried them, but you could watch Long Way Up to see those guys riding with them, they seemed to be no problem at all, and combined with heated grips probably worked well.
Having said all that, riding in really cold sucks goats. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts