StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually that claim is without merit. Always someone who is quicker or faster than you. Maybe, just maybe, I can hold the title of the "WORLDS MOST POWERFUL V-STROM" for a while at least.

What does it take to achieve that lofty title you ask?:fineprint:

Most would assume well over 150 Horsepower to get the job done.:green_lol:

Most would assume nitrous, supercharger, or other power adder. :confused:

My power adder of choice adds well over.....

WATTS!

Yes, that is correct. Well over 600 watts of power available. No nitrous bottles to refill, no fussy superchargers or turbochargers, just continuous on demand POWER.

Over 50 amps really tempts me to push the boundaries of how much I can use! :biggrinjester:

So far I have running lamps, two pair of auxilliary running lights ( 220 watts ), heated grips, Gerbings jacket, pants, gloves and still maintain over 14 volts in the system.

My External Alternator Project:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Terry,

Consider me on the list of buyers if you put this into production. If it works half as good as your clutch basket mod then it will be a winner.

Let me know how much and when it will be available:thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Ah, a wonderful mod.
I've seen it done on many a bike before, and the strom is a good candidate. I usually see the stock system being replaced with the alternator though (where the pulley is mounted in place of the rotor), not supplemented.

Just before you ride the bike too much, you're supporting that extended shaft with a bearing right?

How did you extend the shaft actually?

·
5,403 Posts
Stock charging system is removed from the bike. With the exception of the rotor which acts as the fly wheel. Alternator has the Regulator built in so no external R/R is needed.

I machined a shaft that is threaded into the rotor and a thru-bolt attaches the pulley, shaft, rotor to the end of the crank. There is a bearing for the shaft just outside of the magneto cover in a machined aluminium mount that also holds the oil seal. Three holes drilled into the magneto cover are the only things done to the factory parts, I could bolt the stock stuff back in place, so it is close to a bolt on project. No plans to sell it, just a project at this point.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tell us more. What alternator are you using? How did you connect it? Did you change r/r? Inquiring minds want/need to know.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I love projects like this. I am one to fiddle around in this manner, but electrical stuff is waaaay over my head!

My perspectives on this project would be: adding the weight of the alternator, pulleys, belt and housing, to the bike. I also would be concerned about the alternator being exposed to water, and the possible damage it could do to the unit, and any devices hooked up to it.

Aside from my concerns, nicely done!

(I do need to ask one question though. Have you ever dropped your bike, or incurred a laydown? All of your lights do aid in helping other drivers/riders see you, but they also empty your wallet kind of fast at replacing them. I personally know this from experience! That's why I got rid of them!)

·
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More detail is on VSRI:

HIGH OUTPUT CHARGING SYSTEM

Alternator is a "Denso 93mm" style. These are a small case unit with built in regulator/rectifier. I use this one as a single wire unit. I did have some trouble with the alternators early on, but I have put quite a few miles on them since so I think I have that solved.

R

·
0 Posts
With that much candlepower, you should be able to stun (blind) the deer on the side of the road making night rides a lot safer.
Those deer will be seeing spots in front of their eyes for weeks after you ride by.
Great work!

·
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Black Lab, After removing the stator and R/R from the bike, the weight gain might be less than you would think! The Denso 93mm unit is very compact, the pulley and shaft weigh very little. The mount and hardware with it, cover are probably the only weight gain.

Water could be an issue, I have had alternators under water before in cars and they didn't fail. As for the stuff hooked to it, probably better than the factory system in that the voltage is probably smoother.

Probably not the kind of mod a dedicated off road rider would need, the lights wouldn't do well in a slide. But, they are cheapies anyway. On the other hand if you could see how much light this thing puts out you might want them on your bike for back road riding at night! Like a set of stadium lights pointing forward!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
On the other hand if you could see how much light this thing puts out you might want them on your bike for back road riding at night! Like a set of stadium lights pointing forward!
Well........I may have found a customer for you then!

I forget this female rider's name. I met her at the 2010 Cromag gathering in Vermont. I had to bite my tongue as she "exhibitioned" her lights for everyone to see. My opinion is, it is a very dumb, and very dangerous setup! Heck, you would need a separate luggage case just to carry the covers in! Talk about windage, not to mention the danger of one of those huge Hella's slamming into her face and head during a laydown.

I will check out your post on VSRI. As I said, I love projects like this stuff.

(I have just come up from my basement to take a breather from the welding I am doing down there this afternoon. :biggrinjester:)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
@Black Lab, After removing the stator and R/R from the bike, the weight gain might be less than you would think! The Denso 93mm unit is very compact, the pulley and shaft weigh very little. The mount and hardware with it, cover are probably the only weight gain.

Water could be an issue, I have had alternators under water before in cars and they didn't fail. As for the stuff hooked to it, probably better than the factory system in that the voltage is probably smoother.

Probably not the kind of mod a dedicated off road rider would need, the lights wouldn't do well in a slide. But, they are cheapies anyway. On the other hand if you could see how much light this thing puts out you might want them on your bike for back road riding at night! Like a set of stadium lights pointing forward!
I'd pay for a mod like that. I'm impressed. I have all the tools, lathe, mill, welders etc etc but I'd feel a little scared doing this. How do you wire a 1 wire alternator?I wouldn't mind having something like this just to run heated gear and not remove the stock alternator. What exact alternator did you buy? Great job.

·
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you wire a 1 wire alternator?I wouldn't mind having something like this just to run heated gear and not remove the stock alternator. What exact alternator did you buy?
Wiring wasn't hard, but it would be easy to do it improperly. One of the questions that was asked early on was "can the V-Stroms wiring handle the extra power". Actually, the factory systems are not handling any more power with this system than before. All of my accessory lights and farkles are wired directly to the battery with relays/fuses. So the factory computer and standard lighting , etc are just using what they have always used. There could easily be a problem if you forgot to add proper grounding to the system! I ran an additional braided ground strap from the battery to the frame. I also have a 10 gauge wire running from the alternator mount to the negative post of the battery. The single wire alternators simply have one wire that is run to the positive post of the battery. I ran a 6 gauge wire for that. ( Internal switching in the alternator turns it "ON" when it senses rotation).

Stock system will run heated gear ok. You will have some dimming of the lights as the heated gear turns off and on.

Alternator is a 93mm Denso style. Powermaster has them, there are Chinese versions on ebay. These have the smallest diameter case I could come up with. The overall length from pulley to back of case is not much less than a typical car unit, I wish I could find one shorter in that respect.

·
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have all the tools, lathe, mill, welders etc etc but I'd feel a little scared doing this. I wouldn't mind having something like this just to run heated gear and not remove the stock alternator.
Arne, if you have all the tools go for it! You could mount this on a bike and not take the stock charging system off. In fact, there are only 3 holes drilled in the magneto cover as far as modifications done to the bikes components. It would be the perfect thing for a sidecar: external alternator that runs directly to a battery mounted in the sidecar rig. You could then run all your accessories thru that system. I am not sure how this would work to directly power accessories like heated gear/lights without a battery in the circuit.

If you feel like looking into it, pm me. There are enough details in the pics and descriptions using the link to VSRI in an earlier post that will give you the basics. I'll be glad to call and go over the details/pitfalls/good/bad/evil. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
It would be the perfect thing for a sidecar
:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You're killin me man, can't I just get my clutch fixed first? :fineprint:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
My lay study of the charging system has me believe that a very healthy battery is one element in a long lasting charging system

Battery should be healthy enough to provide the necessary power when temperature cycles.

Note I installed a PWM DC motor controller that varies the output voltage to the heated gear so there is no surge and usually reduced amperage.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
With that much candlepower, you should be able to stun (blind) the deer on the side of the road making night rides a lot safer.
Those deer will be seeing spots in front of their eyes for weeks after you ride by.
Great work!
Stun them? Heck, he's got so much power now that he has a choice to either tazz them from 100 yds away or just burn a hole clean through them with a laser!

Very nice work!!

jeff

·
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just for the sensitive politically correct types, I don't run all those lights all the time! The factory headlights and the smaller pair of auxilliary lights are on all the time. The auxilliary lights are aimed to simulate a "low beam" pattern. The bigger lowest set of lights are wired thru a relay to turn on with the factory high beam system. Now that the days are so short I find this lighting setup usefull riding to work in the morning....and unfortunately riding home....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts