StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: :lol: :lol: yesterday on my way home from work, taking one of the familiar corners right before my house, I finally scraped my boot. It scraped for a good 2 feet, that's my guess anyway. Man what a feeling! I always thought the pegs would come first since I ride with feet close to the bike. I had just gotten my foot of the rear break getting ready for the corner and the tip of my boot was sticking a little out. Leaned the bike and felt the scrape begin! I leaned more in to it and got a good scrape going. This is all slow stuff in the neighborhood, I still have to get a scrape going in the twisties.

I had scraped before on a Velusia, and the CB750, but that was not hard, those bikes have no ground clearance. And its impossible on the XR.

K I am done :p

·
Registered
704 Posts
I hate scraping my boot.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Cheff said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: yesterday on my way home from work, taking one of the familiar corners right before my house, I finally scraped my boot. It scraped for a good 2 feet, that's my guess anyway. Man what a feeling! I always thought the pegs would come first since I ride with feet close to the bike. I had just gotten my foot of the rear break getting ready for the corner and the tip of my boot was sticking a little out. Leaned the bike and felt the scrape begin! I leaned more in to it and got a good scrape going. This is all slow stuff in the neighborhood, I still have to get a scrape going in the twisties.

I had scraped before on a Velusia, and the CB750, but that was not hard, those bikes have no ground clearance. And its impossible on the XR.

K I am done :p
I'd be interested in knowing why the scraping of a boot is apparently a big issue for you. Do you feel it reflects a level of skill? courage? Just curious, what's behind your enthusiasm?

Stromette

·
Registered
83 Posts
STROMETTE said:
Cheff said:
I had just gotten my foot of the rear break getting ready for the corner and the tip of my boot was sticking a little out. Leaned the bike and felt the scrape begin! I leaned more in to it and got a good scrape going. This is all slow stuff in the neighborhood, I still have to get a scrape going in the twisties.
I'd be interested in knowing why the scraping of a boot is apparently a big issue for you. Do you feel it reflects a level of skill? courage? Just curious, what's behind your enthusiasm?

Stromette
In tight, slow maneuvers his ability to notice it and press a little harder to maintain the lean I'd consider a good thing as he's finding his limits of handling. To paraphrase the words of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino; "A motorcycle is highly maneuverable. You paid for the whole bike, find out where your limits are."

-Mike

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
StarWatcher said:
STROMETTE said:
Cheff said:
I had just gotten my foot of the rear break getting ready for the corner and the tip of my boot was sticking a little out. Leaned the bike and felt the scrape begin! I leaned more in to it and got a good scrape going. This is all slow stuff in the neighborhood, I still have to get a scrape going in the twisties.

Stromette
In tight, slow maneuvers his ability to notice it and press a little harder to maintain the lean I'd consider a good thing as he's finding his limits of handling. To paraphrase the words of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino; "A motorcycle is highly maneuverable. You paid for the whole bike, find out where your limits are."

-Mike
Exactly, scraping pegs or boots when traveling at low speed is a hard thing to accomplish especially on a tall bike like the Strom. I think it does reflect on my skill. But not saying I am the most skilled by any means.
I never said I was racing around the corner to see how fast I could take it. I don't like it when other drivers/riders race around my neighborhood, my daughter plays out there and I like people to be considerate.

Anyway I cant wait to be able to scrape pegs on slow maneuvers like the Motorman! man that guy can ride! He can hold a circle while scraping of course he does it on a huge cruiser bike. Doing that on the V would be some real skill.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Oh yeah?

Well, I keep my feet back on the passenger pegs and still scrape my boots! :D

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
jackpiner57 said:
Oh yeah?

Well if you'd quit wearing those clown boots they wouldn't scrape :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
A suggestion about scraping your boot: Don't. Recommend you keep your toes up on the pegs, and your feet pulled in toward the bike, let the peg feelers scrape the ground.

If you hit a bump whilst scraping a boot, your foot might get yanked off the peg. Minor bobble hopefully, but you might lose control, or run over your foot (happened to a racer in practice recently, and Ben Bostrom almost did it at Miller in the first Superbike race--he was actually saving a high-side, but it can happen). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Jonnylotto said:
jackpiner57 said:
Oh yeah?

I assume you know of other boots that provide better protection? :roll:

I suppose you are now going to criticize my round red nose protector? :(

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
jackpiner57 said:
Jonnylotto said:
jackpiner57 said:
Oh yeah?

I assume you know of other boots that provide better protection? :roll:

I suppose you are now going to criticize my round red nose protector? :(
Only if it keeps the visor on your poofy cap from closing :lol:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I see you understand how it also works as my anti-fogging device. 8)

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
StarWatcher said:
...To paraphrase the words of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino; "A motorcycle is highly maneuverable. You paid for the whole bike, find out where your limits are."
-Mike
That's a great point. If your skill level is increasing to where you can use your whole motorcycle, that is exciting and someting to "woo hoo" about"

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vstromper said:
Scraping is more of a warning than an accomplishment IMHO.
I agree with you for high speed riding, but you wont wear out your boots like that at low speed scrapes, unless you can hold the scrape in a circle like the Motorman. I am talking low speed here, U-turns in a tight street, or slow cornering on to a tight street.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've done some track days on my Strom. I have the Zook center stand installed. I put pegs down every corner, touched the centerstand once (I'm pretty concious of lean angle once the pegs touch), and not once has my boot touched the ground.

Get your feet on the pegs in a proper fashion!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said, I had not got my foot on the peg all the way after breaking for the corner, that's why my boot hit first. And again this has nothing to do with high speed cornering like you would encounter on a track day. Low speed.

I think I am going to a parking lot, practicing a few hours and try getting a good video of a scrape while doing really tight full lock circles. This should explain it better for everyone. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try getting your knee to scape (without crashing). That's fun too :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts