StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good reason to choose one shop over another, to fix a bent DL1000 rim?

This is the patient, FWIW. Only bent on one side (as far as I can tell, anyway), but won't hold air.

It's going to be a giant hassle either way. There's no local shop that does MC wheel repairs. Woody's & MC Wheel are the two closest shops.

I've been in touch with Woody's, and they might be able to get me discounted shipping, which is nice.

Haven't talked to MC Wheel yet.

Still need to get the wheel off the bike & see whether I can get the tire off. Need to inspect for any hidden damage, get better pictures, & also it will be a lot cheaper to ship just the wheel (removing tire and brake discs).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones I could get on the phone so far. They don't.

I don't know what is magically different about an MC wheel vs. a car wheel. If anything the car rims tend to be fancier, larger, and would be harder to work on, I would think.

I also asked both of our independent moto shops/dealers. Both said no one in town works on MC wheels. One had a wheel done by Woody's in Denver years ago.

I called our one Suzi dealer, but their solution was a new wheel. 7-10 business days to get it in, if I go that way. Which I probably won't. If I get a new one I'll order from one of the online OEM vendors, likely Partsoutlaw.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Worse dings than that have been hammered out of dirt bikes on a regular basis. If you were to try that, park the bike, tire on, with the ding down at the bottom against the ground. using your one handed sledge hammer and a good peice or pieces of wood repeatedly apply forces against the ding. a lot of less than huge forces. moving the wood constantly. If you get it down to around 1/16 out of perfect that will probably be good enough. see if it will hold air and if so apply paint as needed then go use up a bunch of the gas in the tank.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Before you get a quote, you may want to price out the cost of a good used wheel from ebay or similar. For my 650, I picked up a wheel in good condition with a new tire mounted for not much more than the price of the tire.

·
Registered
673 Posts
A retired machinist - a friend of a friend - bent mine back without issue. Another friend bent his own back using a press and some wood that he cut in the shape of the good part of the rim. Are you able / willing to fix it yourself? Don't do the sledgehammer thing; that'll work harden the rim and make it more brittle for the next hit the rim takes.

Reactions: Gert

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Before you get a quote, you may want to price out the cost of a good used wheel from ebay or similar. For my 650, I picked up a wheel in good condition with a new tire mounted for not much more than the price of the tire.
There are none on ebay currently ;)

Problem is that front wheels are getting to be a rare commodity. Too many people running into stuff.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't find any used front wheels on eBay. 650 fronts I found exactly one, plenty DL1000 rear wheels, zero fronts.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A retired machinist - a friend of a friend - bent mine back without issue. Another friend bent his own back using a press and some wood that he cut in the shape of the good part of the rim. Are you able / willing to fix it yourself? Don't do the sledgehammer thing; that'll work harden the rim and make it more brittle for the next hit the rim takes.
Right, "just hit it with a hammer" is going to guarantee cracking due to work hardening, later if not right away. Not going to do that.

I'm not sure what the proper repair shops like Woody's or MC Wheel do. Do they re-do heat treating? Something else? Going to ask. People swear by both, so they must be doing something right.

No, I'm not set up for a quality repair at home. I don't think bending it back cold is likely to have satisfactory results. Also, no press, heat treat oven, etc.

I haven't decided yet whether to get insurance involved. I'm leaning toward "yes" since I literally pay them (and quite handsomely at that) to deal with this stuff. Rather have them track down and extract payment out of the party responsible for the damage. On the other hand, they'll almost certainly try to jack up my rates, which is BS.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Right, "just hit it with a hammer" is going to guarantee cracking due to work hardening, later if not right away. Not going to do that.

I'm not sure what the proper repair shops like Woody's or MC Wheel do. Do they re-do heat treating? Something else? Going to ask. People swear by both, so they must be doing something right.

No, I'm not set up for a quality repair at home. I don't think bending it back cold is likely to have satisfactory results. Also, no press, heat treat oven, etc.

I haven't decided yet whether to get insurance involved. I'm leaning toward "yes" since I literally pay them (and quite handsomely at that) to deal with this stuff. Rather have them track down and extract payment out of the party responsible for the damage. On the other hand, they'll almost certainly try to jack up my rates, which is BS.
What kind of deductible do you carry that a wheel would be worth a claim? I don't carry any sort of collision/comp on a bike worth 3K, it'll never pay off.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a compatible wheel that comes from a different make/model? I don't have ABS, and the speedo on the DL1000 is not on the wheel, so I wouldn't think the wheel would be such a specialty item.

DL650 front wheels apparently won't work - different brake discs/axle diameter or something.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Brand new one on ebay fits a 2007 DL1000 front wheel based on the part number

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, perfect example of why I haven't bought from Partzilla for a long time. If I buy new, it'll be from Partsoutlaw, where the wheel is a good ~$60 cheaper, and $4.99 shipping.

Local dealer is quoting north of $700 for just the wheel, which is a funny joke.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
... I'm not sure what the proper repair shops like Woody's or MC Wheel do. Do they re-do heat treating? Something else? Going to ask. People swear by both, so they must be doing something right. ...
Sometimes, they cut them and re-weld them. Sometimes, they drill strategic holes, press them and fill in the holes with weld. Sometimes they just press them with the appropriate die.
I don't know MC Wheel, which doesn't mean that they aren't great. I do know that Woody's has earned their reputation year after year, wheel by wheel.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes, they cut them and re-weld them. Sometimes, they drill strategic holes, press them and fill in the holes with weld. Sometimes they just press them with the appropriate die.
I don't know MC Wheel, which doesn't mean that they aren't great. I do know that Woody's has earned their reputation year after year, wheel by wheel.
Sure sounds better than spending $500+ on a new wheel.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Get the wheel done professionally. The strength of a re-rolled wheel is generally like new, just hammering it back leaves cracks.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news, possibly, though of course it's all hot air until the check clears.

I called the number on one of the trucks and explained what happened, without mentioning the dashcam.

The business owner said he was willing to pay for my repairs, although I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to backpedal once he gets the estimate.

I got the impression that this has happened before, due to his employees hauling wood improperly & having to pay for damages to vehicles.

I also got an impression that he either has no liability insurance, or doesn't want to use it.

I'll take the wheel to a Suzi dealer this afternoon for a repair estimate. I suspect the total will be nudging or north of $1000, what with the new wheel, new bearings, labor, and tax.

It might even be higher. For all I know the tire is damaged too, and will also need replacing.

If I do end up getting a new wheel, which is seeming likely, I'll have the old one repaired and put it up for sale, probably.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like problems resolved.
I‘ve Had Woodys repair my BMW wheels, great shop, great service.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the full-up estimate from the dealer yesterday: $1050 and some pennies. Yeouch.

To be clear, that's for:

-new wheel (54111-06G01-019)

-new pair of bearings (08123-62047)

-new spacer (09180-20062)

-labor to swap over tire (which is probably fine), brake rotors, & install new bearings.

Definitely not doing that unless the responsible party comes through with payment.

BTW, are the "Oil Seals" (really, dust seals, part 09285-28001) that cover the bearings reusable, or is it better to get new ones? Parts dept. guy missed those.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts