Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought an 05 dl650 recently, ran good for a few rides but I went to go for a ride on the 4th and got about 100 ft before it just shut off. I had something similar happen on a previous ride, I went to accelerate and lost power for a few seconds and then everything was fine. I haven't been able to get it started since then but it will still turn over. I' m at a loss as to what the problem is, if you've had a similar issue and could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Fuel, air and spark are always the basic steps to check when you're trying to figure out what's wrong. If you're missing one of them, the bike won't run.

Is there fuel? Is it clean, with no water in it? If there's good fuel, is it getting to the throttle bodies? Is the fuel filter clogged? Is fuel getting into the cylinders? You can check the flow out of the fuel pump to make sure the flow is correct; there are threads on here on how to accomplish that. If you pull a spark plug and it's wet with fuel, you know that fuel is getting all the way through the injectors into the cylinders.

Is the air filter clogged? Is there anything obstructing the flow of air into the engine? Is there a vacuum line disconnected somewhere, like the throttle bodies?

Is the battery producing enough voltage to start the bike? Is the gap correct for the spark plug? If you ground the plug against the cylinder head and crank the engine, do you see a spark jump across the spark plug gap? Check the condition of the spark plugs; there are charts on line that'll tell you stuff about what's going on with your bike based on what condition the plugs are in.

These kinds of checks will at least help you narrow down which subsystem of the bike isn't working. I'm not a gearhead, and there are lots of guys here way more knowledgeable than I am, but "fuel, air, spark" is always the place to start looking.

If you go to Youtube and type in "why won't my motorcycle start?", you'll get a nice selection of how to videos that should be helpful. Youtube has become my first stop when I'm looking for a possible solution to a mechanical mystery.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
We need more specific info.

Understand that it turns over but that may not be enough to start. We need the battery voltage with the ignition turned on and while cranking.

Are the instruments cycling when turning on the ignition? Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Check battery connections, they can come loose. Including the main ground to the engine block (both ends). Make sure there is good contact, no corrosion, its a 14 year old bike.

My guess is that its an electrical problem since fuel pump issues are normally not sudden (unless the pump connection is compromised) and spark plugs deteriorate gradually, not sudden, so does the filter. Possibly an almost dead battery.

AND introduce who you are, where you live, mileage of the bike and any know service history. Will get you better answers.

Finally WELCOME!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check the the sidestand switch before anything...that, and the clutch switch. Either one will cause the issue you are describing.
Agree with Blaustrom...where you from and welcome to the nuthouse!

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wonder if the fuel filter might be blocked. Had the bike been mostly sitting prior to you buying it?
Have a look at this thread to see if the symptoms are similar to yours. https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/351514-fuel-delivery-engine-dying-problem-solved.html
There is a video on fixing this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JFdYk5nK2w
I doubt that it will be the clutch or sidestand switch as they prevent the bike from turning over.
More information on the history and mileage of your bike would help.
Brockie -
You are correct sir...I was not clear with my reply but was referring to the "..lost power for a few seconds then everything was fine." part of the OP's description.

As for not starting since, agree with RCinNC that "fuel, air, spark" must be present and a fuel flow test will reveal poor fuel delivery, a load-test on the battery can isolate that as an issue and a nest in the airbox, well that is just a bugger!

Hope that the OP gets it sussed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts