StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals,
So 2012 650 V strom 30K on it. I noticed that my idle drops haphazardly to around 1K RPM. I am riding and all is fine. Stop at the light and 75% of the time the idle needle is pointing just slightly above 1K. Could it be TPS?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds right to me. Once it is warmed up, does it ever stall coming to a stop? That was the main symptom when my TPS went bad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds right to me. Once it is warmed up, does it ever stall coming to a stop? That was the main symptom when my TPS went bad.
It seems like it's wanting to but it doesnt stall. How does one go about replacing one of these sensors?

·
Registered
941 Posts
@Majster81

I did a quick search of the site for "replace TPS" and found this, there may be other threads but this one looks pretty good. You'll need security Torx bit but other than that it is pretty straight forward if you wrench.
TPS Replacement

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Have you replaced the clutch lever with aftermarket?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can adjust the TPS to correct the idle speed if needed. You need to put it in dealer mode, let the engine warm up then adjust (move) the TPS if it's out.

The Torx is a T25 security one (it has a hole in the tip) and the TPS only needs the slightest adjustment.

If you're in dealer mode, you get C00 with a line at the side _C00 is too low, -C00 is spot on and C00 with the line at the top is too high.

IIRC the advice Greywolf gave me, idle should be centred around 1200rpm with it moving to the top just over 2000rpm. [The adjustment below received GW's approval which was good enough for me :)]

This was mine before - You can see it was out

https://youtu.be/u0ZyKUZn9WI

After

https://youtu.be/zajbGiMBXHQ

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so I went ahead and replaced TPS. at fully warmed up bike the idle is stable and - is center, it raises to the top line when it is passed 2K. It sometimes goes back to middle if I let off the throttle a bit. That is when riding. When stopped in Neutral the dash line does not come up to the top until something like 3K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts