StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a copy of DLicious's prolouge. I'm using it because I whole heartedly agree and because I'm basically lazy :yesnod:

"
Well what can you say about this Gathering, just the following I think, would sum it up by all those who went along......

To Ian (Strongarm) and Steve (Farmer Strom) and your wives, a BIG HUGE GIGANTIC THANK YOU for all the effort in putting your hands up, and for making all those great arrangements which made the weekend such a success.
Also a BIG THANK YOU TO Mr & Mrs Wacko-Ocker for the great job on the shirts, it was great to see so many wearing them on the weekend.

To Wardy (Saturn5), am very sorry to hear about you being ill Brian, would loved to have caught up with you mate, but am glad your ok, and I know we'll ride together again sometime!,
To Tweed Strom, sorry to hear about your accident, bad news about the bike, but more importantly, great news that your ok, if a little bruised, bikes can be rebuilt replaced, great people can't be

Day One

Mudrat (now on KTM 950 Adventure), AstroBob and myself were leaving Heatherbrae early (ish) on Wednesday morning, so to make my trip easier I went up tuesday arvo.
I had a bit of time up my sleeve so I took the senic route

and continued on the "old road" for a while and then on to Newcastle.
Next morning with a bit of rain about Astro arrives from the central coast

We finalise our route (with escape plans) over brekky and away we go.
As we reach the first dirt section, near Karuah, Astro and I decided it looked to wet and told Muddy we would turn around and go up Buckets way and meet him in Gloucester
Some of Muddy's pics

We meet up for another feed

Inside Roadies Cafe

Then on to the junction of the next dirt section

Astro looking very pensive , "should I take the dirt, should I take the seal",

the seal won and we would meet up again in Walcha
We stopped to drop my tyre pressures, what is it about "adventure" riders and not taking notice of notices

Then we came to washed out bridge

Just as well they had a culvert in place

but that is where I came un stuck, on the slimey concrete. I picked the bike up before Muddy could get a pic and went up the road a bit to asses the damage. Bent foot brake lever was all, so with aid of the Katoom's tool kit and a size 12 Rossi we were away again

Next stop the Apsley Arms hotel in Walcha (the dearest rooms on our trip, but the bikes had a lock-up garage)

To be contiued

·
Registered
148 Posts
Horrible culverts

Nice RR - yes those culverts are deceptive, have probably gone through hundreds up this way and never a problem, this year went through one that was in the shade maybe a tad too quick and down we went - most indignant part is skidding through half the culvert on your bum - interesting though how much spray you can make on the way!
Many thanks from all of us in Bingara, there is still a fair bit of interest from the townies - still asking questions about the bikes and why they were here!

FS

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is a copy of DLicious's prolouge. I'm using it because I whole heartedly agree and because I'm basically lazy :yesnod:
[/B]
THIEF THIEF THIEF Off with his head :bom_behead::weapons_20::weapons_00: :green_lol::green_lol:

Nice RR Don all the same, can't wait for more mate!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nice Pics and a good read - thanks.

Hey, once we know the answer to this question we no longer need to gather - its an unknown. The locals are still asking questions about the bikes and why they were here!
Maybe the Bingara locals can let us know once they work it out. WE have no ideas...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Nice pics and report Chops.

Maybe a slightly knobbier tyre might have been a bonus for some of those sections :confused:
Including through the culvert :green_lol:

The more I look at dirt roads and trails the more I want to do them. :fineprint:

A Tiger 800XC or something more dirt worthy than the Wee may eventually end up in the stable [but the Wee will see knobbie-ish tyres first for a try out].

Might be down through your way in the 4WD on the weekend with Belinda.

Looking forward to the next part of the report too. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Wee came Wee saw...and Wee enjoyed!

Nice RR - yes those culverts are deceptive, have probably gone through hundreds up this way and never a problem, this year went through one that was in the shade maybe a tad too quick and down we went - most indignant part is skidding through half the culvert on your bum - interesting though how much spray you can make on the way!
Many thanks from all of us in Bingara, there is still a fair bit of interest from the townies - still asking questions about the bikes and why they were here!

FS
Farmer strom , we had a few chats over the days there and cant thank you guys enough for your hospitality..Mustang and i came back via Killarney /Queen Mary Falls- a couple of deceptive causeways on the northern side.
I have posted some photos on the forum of Bingara.
Regards
Ken.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I need some Knobbly Tyres too!

"

Day One

Mudrat (now on KTM 950 Adventure), AstroBob and myself were leaving Heatherbrae early (ish) on Wednesday morning, so to make my trip easier I went up tuesday arvo.
I had a bit of time up my sleeve so I took the senic route

and continued on the "old road" for a while and then on to Newcastle.
Next morning with a bit of rain about Astro arrives from the central coast

We finalise our route (with escape plans) over brekky and away we go.
As we reach the first dirt section, near Karuah, Astro and I decided it looked to wet and told Muddy we would turn around and go up Buckets way and meet him in Gloucester
Some of Muddy's pics

We meet up for another feed

Inside Roadies Cafe

Then on to the junction of the next dirt section

Astro looking very pensive , "should I take the dirt, should I take the seal",

the seal won and we would meet up again in Walcha
We stopped to drop my tyre pressures, what is it about "adventure" riders and not taking notice of notices

Then we came to washed out bridge

Just as well they had a culvert in place

but that is where I came un stuck, on the slimey concrete. I picked the bike up before Muddy could get a pic and went up the road a bit to asses the damage. Bent foot brake lever was all, so with aid of the Katoom's tool kit and a size 12 Rossi we were away again

Next stop the Apsley Arms hotel in Walcha (the dearest rooms on our trip, but the bikes had a lock-up garage)

To be contiued
Good on you guys..love the pics , looks like you had a ball!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great ride, & good to see some dirt.

Nice pics and report Chops.

Maybe a slightly knobbier tyre might have been a bonus for some of those sections :confused:
Including through the culvert :green_lol:

The more I look at dirt roads and trails the more I want to do them. :fineprint:

A Tiger 800XC or something more dirt worthy than the Wee may eventually end up in the stable [but the Wee will see knobbie-ish tyres first for a try out].

Might be down through your way in the 4WD on the weekend with Belinda.

Looking forward to the next part of the report too. :yesnod:
Thread hijack
Steve, it's why I've bought a 990. Got tired of the compromise. Rode the tiger but the ergnomics felt like the strom, maybe just me but I did take the new 990R down the same tar/dirts roads the day before....:thumbup: Even took the Super Ten on the same roads which felt better than the Tiger but it's not a 990. Still have the strom, but now it's going to go.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice one Chops :thumbsup:, most of the photos are good but the one with me in the T-shirt looks a bit distorted around the centre of the picture :confused:
Plus I'm sure I heard some tractor noises from a couple of them :mrgreen::green_lol:

Looking forward to the next installment.

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice one Chops :thumbsup:, most of the photos are good but the one with me in the T-shirt looks a bit distorted around the centre of the picture :confused:
Plus I'm sure I heard some tractor noises from a couple of them :mrgreen::green_lol:

Looking forward to the next installment.

:cheers2:
BOB
I think there was some water on the lens that distioted that one pic :mrgreen:.
Lucky ther's no sound, that tractor dround out everything else :green_lol:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day Two

This was our plan for thursday map

About 20 Ks along the Oxley highway are the Apsley Falls http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsley_Falls&ei=uFWPT4WzK6ajiAeG3ZyQBA&usg=AFQjCNF0r_PnlZ4FsFxc7VMdAuvsCkY6Dw&sig2=WujOLhg69r5nUDM-Kca6lA

On the way to the falls we noticed a road (East Lynne) heading in the direction of Armidale, a quick search on the Zummos and we found that it eventually linked up with the Emu Creek road that was on our chosen path, so off we go, don't worry about the "no thru road" sign. Across the Apsley river, up the other side, the road becomes a track and then a drive way to a farm house, where we were told that it realy is no thru road. With that little excursion and spending too long at the falls we decided that back to Walcha and slab it to Armidale was best.

After a great coffee and cake at http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g255315-d805585-Reviews-Caffiends_on_Marsh-Armidale_New_South_Wales.html&ei=cneUT-mkHsuTiQeLorGZBA&usg=AFQjCNHW9A2-jJohpmGttGimYGbsGSOLtw&sig2=RsjcDeDGkE3IsRjv4W3ZAA in Armidale, we rode down the Waterfall way to Ebor Falls.

From here it's good twisty road to Dorrigo for lunch (never too far from food)

A very interesting place, that includes the Juan ( don't call him "sir" or mention anything British )

While in Dorrigo I had arranged to catch up with Burnie, an ex army apprentice friend and his mut

The big Pumkin needed fuel, now not later, so we searched the town to find that the only servo in town was put into recievership "yesterday" and the NRMA shop had run out of all petrol. "Might" be some at Thora, about 15Ks the wrong direction, after that it was pushing time for the big KTM. As luck would have it there was fuel there but the best bit was the ride down and up the Dorrigo Mountain, what a blast

Back thru Dorrigo and on to Nymboida. It started to rain just out of town and kept up till we got to Russell"s place where we were staying the night
Had a beer, found our rooms, showered then back to the bar

We were to late arriving to be able to look thru the museum, but the bar area had enough memorabilia to entertain us. The rooms were the best we stayed in on this trip and good value for your dollar.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Day Three

How much gear do ya carry?

From the back of the pub

Refreshed and ready to go, subject to (dirt) road conditions. From memory there's about 120Ks of gravel on the G I leg alone.
After the first link road to the "old Grafton road" Astro and I let our tyers down again

Looking around the area we came across recent flood victom

A few shots along the OGR

The we came to one of the attractions of the road

Time for a break and a bit of nourishment, but no eateries out here,

not for us anyway

The end of a very interesting road

When I was deflating the tyers I noticed that there was a bald section on the rear tyre, so I decided to go straight to Inverell and try to get a new one.
I found the suzuki dealer http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/&ei=V5iUT6CVAYeaiAem87CeBA&usg=AFQjCNGVhvaQMUYaVR1JSOlcB_snRqeK0Q&sig2=svPh5UaVmNpAyNa75fGAUg and as luck would have it the only tyre they had for a strom was a Tourance, which is my prefered hoop. Before purchase I checked with the workshop, they would fit the tyre but didn't have time to r/r the wheel. They lent me a bit of floor area (in the blazing sun) and in an hour or so I was off to meet up with Astro and Muddy.
Found them lazing away at Macca's, so after another feed and refreshment off we go to Copeton Dam

There were V-Stroms every where, wonder where they were going

The final run to Bingara was a hoot, probably the best part (for me) of the trip, with a new rear, grip was at a premium
Arrived

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bingara

What a great event (thanks to all) and what a gem of a town.
The three of us shared a cabin at the caravan park, very cosy but adequate. At least we were close to friday night's meet and greet

Saturday morning saw us at the Imperial Hotel for brekky
Not bad for $9

I think Astro's got a thing for Miss Munroe

The Roxy is a credit to the towns folk

Of course Saturday night was the dinner night

And what a nice piece of steak

DLicious did the thanking and giving

the "hard luck" award arrived with One Off

and left with Mountain Lagoon

I managed the "longest distance" award, 1289Ks, but Roscoe from Melbourne, with over 1800 (I think he said next morning) should have, but he wasn't present at the crutial time.

More drinks were had and then a few more
These two jokers just keep poppin' up

Sunday, departure day, but first another feed, put on by the locol Lions Club

and the line up 47 V-Stroms at this point,

the KTMs are over this side

Oops I meant here

And that was Bingara's V-Strom annual gathering, what a hoot

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Thanks Chops, nice RR.

It was good to catch up with many from previous Gatherings, and meet some new faces as well.

I see you got a shot of the first KTM that came off the production line, the second photo of the later model doesn't look all that much more refined or upgraded frankly.......no wonder KTM riders look so distressed when the see modern offerings like the Strom. :flaming_devil:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good report and pics, Don. Looks like you had a ball over the few days getting to Bingara.

No fuel in Dorrigo :jawdrop::yikes: Dorrigo isn't exactly a small centre. It is getting to stage when travelling in rural areas when you see fuel fill up regardless of wheather you need it or not as the next town may not have an open fuel station or has run out and waiting on a delivery.

From the photos the gravel sections of the Old Grafton Road look to be in quite good condition and easily managable when it is dry.

The Copeton Dam Road is also a favourite for the locals.
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Homeward Bound

The planed route but maps are like rules, you only follow them if it suits ya!

We left Bingara straight after brekky by the river and headed for Narrabri
Mount Kaputer in the background

Gins Leap

and to Boggabri

Not far out of Boggabri, while doing 80 -90 KPH, I felt the bike squirm. My first thought "oh dear, not my new tyre"

You guessed it, flat as a tack. Where's the nearest tyre shop?

Probably took about an hour to fix, and it was bloody hot. Must have been a sharp stone in the road, as the hole was pretty big. the Cargol screw type plughttp://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gryyp.com.au%2F&ei=1m-WT5yVKISXiAeTnbCOCg&usg=AFQjCNGWW4wVwTk69hKTqTKyA61eEaVwGA&sig2=eVD06iqmUVRWn9pMKQGrog was to small and just fell into the hole. Luckily Astro had a rope type repair kit, and with a bit of glue pushed that rope in, cut off excess, reinflated to 25, and away we went to Tambar Springs for a well earned drink at the pub. There's no stories of any Bob, I mean any body doing a roll in the car park on departure.

Some where on the way the bike and me hit another milestone, or kilometerstone

We were travelling thru private property heading toward Pandoras Pass, Muddy out front (of course we were on dirt) followed by Astro and me

when Astro and I came across Muddy walking toward us

Sorry Muddy, there's no honnor between fallen riders, any more, is there. But I'm sure if you snapped me in the creek on day 2 it would be posted too. No damage done, tough those Katooms, and away we go again

You could hardly stand up in the culvert it was that slimey, but the Stroms made it, on the rocky edge where it wasn't so slipery.
Some more shots on the way to the pass

Where we came from

and where we are going

From here it's quick trip down to Coolah

To Be Continued

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Great report and what great roads too. Would have loved to have joined in
fellas, maybe another day.
And G'day to D.L. and his lady,while I have 'pen to paper'.

Saturn 5
Ride while you still can!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts