StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Wolfman Large Expedition Tank Bag for my Wee.

Is anyone using one of these and if so, what are your impressions? Is it easy to get in and out of? Does it's harness keep it on the bike securely? TIA.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Wolfman Large Expedition Tank Bag for my Wee.

Is anyone using one of these and if so, what are your impressions? Is it easy to get in and out of? Does it's harness keep it on the bike securely? TIA.
More importantly

Can you see over it :confused: :green_lol::green_lol:

I have looked at the Wolfman expedition tank panniers, the straps are too short to reach across the Wee tank and crash bars but the expedition panniers have buckles at each end so longer straps are easy to do, the other tank panniers they make have the straps sewn to one pannier so can't be lengthened as easily.

The advantage to tank panniers is they carry the weight lower and can help protect the bike in a fall [saw a pic somewhere of a Wee on it's side, the tank panniers and the rear panniers basically kept the rest of the bike off the ground].

I use an Oxford expandable tank bag [had it on my BMW R1150GS] but not enough of the magnets get a good grip due to the Wee's plastic so I use an ockie strap through the front carry handle on the bag to the crash bars on each side, I found the flaps lifted at 150/180kph.
I tried the bag on backwards and it was better but I'm still not happy to trust just the magnets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have looked at the Wolfman expedition tank panniers, the straps are too short to reach across the Wee tank and crash bars but the expedition panniers have buckles at each end so longer straps are easy to do, the other tank panniers they make have the straps sewn to one pannier so can't be lengthened as easily.

I have the regular Wolfman tank panniers and they fit fine on my Wee.

A tank bag attached with magnets isn't going to work for me for touring/camping.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I have the regular Wolfman tank panniers and they fit fine on my Wee.

A tank bag attached with magnets isn't going to work for me for touring/camping.
Strange, tried both the standard and expedition tank panniers on my Wee last week and the straps were too short on both :confused:

The Oxford bag magnets held well at over 220kph on the GS, just not enough tank metal exposed for the front magnets to grab the Wee tank, they sit on the plastic.

I toured three states for two weeks and 4600km late last year with the tank bag, no problems other than the need to use the ockie strap for peace of mind, quick and easy to remove when refueling.

I'm off again for four days next weekend.

I will have my "tent bag" [tent, sleeping bags, sleeping mattresses, chair, etc. all in the one bag] strapped to the new rack I just fitted http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52268 plus a pair of RJays expedition panniers [not using the Givi hard cases this time] and the tank bag will go on the tank [again] to carry my "on the road" munchies, water bottle, first aid kit, torch, plus other bits and pieces.

There is no doubt I carry too much with me but I'm still going to add tank panniers when I find ones that suit me :yikes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm going on 2 years with mine. Love it. Perfect fit for the Stroms and as with everything else Wolfman, top quality. 4 straps hold the bag on the bike. The 2 straps you can see in the photo hold the bag closed. Inside, there is a strap you can run across the inside, as well as a draw-string closure you can use or not for extra protection. That bag is waterproof right up to the point where you actually go under water.

To gas up, I found the easiest way was to simply disconnect the 2 front straps and swing the bag to the side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an Explorer Lite and it's worked great on my wee. Got it for a KLR and swapped it over to the strom. Works great. I think the Ex lite is 2" shorter than the expedition. I've had mine in some pretty good downpours and it keeps the contents relatively dry with just the cordura nylon. I'd bet the expedition will keep things really dry. The 4 point attachment keeps the bag very stable.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Last year, I was provided an Expedition for my Pony Express Trail adventure, and it is a good bag--very waterproof. I should know, I rode 500 miles in the rain for that whole trip. I also own a Wolfman Ranier, which I really like. The bag straps down tight, and does not flop around. For fueling, I disconnect the two back clips and flip the bag over the handlebars. Very simple procedure to fuel up and then secure the bag again. At first, I unclipped one of the front and slid the bag to the side. Flipping forward is better. The one feature I did not care for is what keeps everything dry. The lid for the bag makes it a two-handed process to get into it. I like the zipper of my Ranier much better. I can unzip and reach in for the camera or other items with one hand. Although the Ranier utilizes a rain cover for waterproofing, the Expedition is waterproof from the start. --Brent

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
......The one feature I did not care for is what keeps everything dry. The lid for the bag makes it a two-handed process to get into it. I like the zipper of my Ranier much better. I can unzip and reach in for the camera or other items with one hand. Although the Ranier utilizes a rain cover for waterproofing, the Expedition is waterproof from the start. --Brent
Yeah, I was worried about that. Sounds like I need to balance my need for a waterproof bag with my need for ease of use and one-handed access.

Thanks much for your input everyone.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have the Wolfman Ranier with the accessory larger pockets and top pocket. Perfect fit. i keep my rain gear in the large top pocket inside main compartment most of the time. It goes on top when i need room. The velocro is strong. Works great but it would be nice if it was waterproof like the Expedition. Then I would not have to plan on putting the cover on when it is going to rain.

I think if I did it again I would get the large Expedition if it is not too big.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Wolfman Ranier with the accessory larger pockets and top pocket.

The one pocket that I absolutely love about my Ranier is that pocket on the back side that is facing the rider, seen above on the left. I carry my Canon G10 in that pocket and I am constantly getting it out and putting it back--sometimes with one hand. The Expedition does not have that pocket. --Brent

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pictures of the Rainier - it looks like a GREAT bag. I love all of the pockets. That is probably the way I'll go although I hate rain covers and on my last tank bag I just did without.

Nice website dbrent!!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
It rained today on the way home. As long as the rain is not too hard and I am moving the inside of the bag stays dry.

Yes the pockets are the main reason I got the Rainer over the Expedition. Also I do not have a picture but inside top is a zippered pocket. The main compartment also expands.

The rain cover is extra. Thin gortex i think but it works. There is velcro on it to hold the map pocket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts