StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my bike. I just passed 2000 miles. I noticed and learned about the decel wobble. I figured it's not a big deal. But now, its getting really bad. On the decel it wobbles several inches. It started to wobble when I accelerate too. even with both hands on the bars. Any thoughts? I took it to a mechanic and he checked it out. He said the front end looks good. I'll take it to the dealer when the weather gets cold. There wait time is about a month

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I have written about this topic; passionately. It is a new bike, with not many miles on it. When these kinds of reports come in, I STRONGLY feel that, the stem bearings have been set up too loosely.

I also STRONGLY feel that, when the stock stem bearings are in place, and the Service Manual torque settings are used to check the bearings, that this in incorrect. Again, too loose. This is why so many mechanics and dealers report to the owner, "The front end is fine." Yet, it isn't. The "wobble" is still there.

I can't help you with a proper torque setting for OEM stem bearings. I can direct you to a way to eliminate the "decel wobble"; whether you are riding on new tires, worn tires, or any brand of tire.

Steering Stem Bearing Replacement / Upgrade « Black Lab Adventures

For adjusting your own stem bearings, this article may give you some insight and inspiration as to how to tackle tightening down OEM bearings.
How I Adjust The Steering Stem Bearings « Black Lab Adventures

B.L.

Reactions: Rubline

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with Black Lab. I would have a hard look at the steering stem bearings. A front end wobble is NOT normal, and you haven't lived until you find yourself in a nice tank slapper ay 60 mph or so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did a 600 mile weekend, now at 1900 miles, and noticed a wobble while coming home this afternoon on the interstate. Hand a little hand fatigue and let go for just a second, front end started to wobble. I had recently installed a fork brace and thought I might have screwed something up but I hadn't noticed the issue until today.
Dang It!

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Try over 100mph. I can show you the scars.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
While waiting to tighten the steering stem bearings you might also consider that higher load on the rear of the bike, lower air pressures, and wear on the tires can make it worse.

..Tom

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a minor front end wobble, most noticeable on decel and when I took my hands off the bars. I played around with tire pressure and that helped, then I added a bit of preload to the rear and that took it away completely. Try playing around a bit with your settings.

Currently running 35psi front and 38psi rear...I go about 210# and often carry gear in the top case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
often carry gear in the top case.
I didn't think about that, this was the first "trip" I have taken and had quite a bit of gear in my tank bag and my rear bag. Probably not more than 20 to 25 lbs total but all, pretty much, at the extreme rear of the bike.
Air pressure was fine, more pre-load to come...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, in another "getting to know you" step with my new 650 Adventure, I decided to check my steering head bearings.

Guess what..a little loose, even by Suzuki's specs. Tightened then up a little, actually to spec then loosened 1/4 turn.

Tomorrow I'll take a spin to verify no weirdness. Of course I had no symptoms before, so I don't expect any problems.

I took advantage of the bar removal to install some ROX risers :)

Deano

·
Registered
369 Posts
I noticed it for the first time the other day too. I was slowing for a toll booth, took my hands off the bars at about 25 mph and she went nuts.

I have no hope of getting my head bearings checked properly here, so I'll have a go with the suspension instead.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had problems with wobble since installing new PR3 tyres.

However, since tightening the rear suspension and increasing the tyre pressures to 35psi front and 40psi rear (BMW GS 1200 members seem to prefer this pressure combination), the wobble seems to have gone.

I can only assume that running the PR3's at the recommended v-strom pressures was not enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fixed my Wobble....1100 mi on my bike

....I had the same problem with a wobble from day 1. I had the dealer check it out @ the 600mi checkup, and decided the tire was bad (Pulled Belt). They called Suzuki Corporate and got them to approve replacement under warranty, and they ordered me one. They replaced the tire, and it's now the bike can be ridden "hands free" if you want! WOW! What a difference!....Don't think they will cover yours with 2k+ on the bike, though...

Good luck, and safe riding!

-Keith

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I can only assume that running the PR3's at the recommended v-strom pressures was not enough.
33F & 36R in my '07 works great--smooth & steady PR3's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CT650ADV2012, was there any visible signs that you could see that the tire was bad? My bearings are adjusted properly, my rear suspension sag is fairly close, I have played around a lot with tire pressure, and nothing has changed my. It is fairly minor, but it bugs me that it is there. I may just replace the tire and see what happens. I just hate to waste all of that money if it does not fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There wasn't any visible sign....

That the tire was bad at all. The dealer made the assumption it was bad after checking the headset bearings, which were fine.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had the wobble for quite a while now. I first noticed it when I had around 1200 miles on the bike. It seems to start during decel around 51 mph and stops around 41 mph. When I first noticed it the tire looked and felt fine. Now with about 6700 miles on it I think I can see some uneven wear on it. When I run my hand over it I can feel it more than I can see it. I suspect the uneven wear was started by riding the first 500 or so miles under inflated at about 25 psi. I was dumb and trusted the dealer then slow to check the tire pressure myself. Anyway suspect that got it started and it has just slowly gotten worse. Now at 6700 miles I have new tires on order.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts