StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take my hands off the bars when decelerating my steering wobbles at around 35 mph . Is this normal ? My bike rides goos other than that. Should I be worried about it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
One, the stock trailwing front tire gets a strange wear pattern, so it wabbles a bit. Once you get ride of the trail wing front, you won't have that problem anymore. BUT, Check all the nuts and bolts anyway. When was the last time you retorqued the head bearing? Not that that is causing it, but it is an item that seems to always come up.

There are other threads on this subject also.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine also has this quirk after the ft tire gets wore down aprox 60%.It only does it when slowing with hands off bars.It has done this with many different ft tires using differing air press.I was told by a custom bike builder that this is common with bikes raked like ours.I just figured it was my bikes way of telling me to get my hands back on the bars.

·
Registered
241 Posts
All bikes will do the hands off the bars decel wobble.

The speed at which it occurs will vary according to steering geometry, tires, suspension etc.

Try varing the tire pressure and make sure all suspension components are within spec. Try different tires when the current ones wear out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Heh. Don't try the Tourances if you are worried about the wobble. They make it worse.

·
Administrator
13,355 Posts
I had a thread a few months ago asking basically the same question. It seemed to be a fairly normal occurance with many other riders experiencing the same thing. The wobble takes almost no efrot to stop, but without hands on the bar it gets worse. I can tell you that a fork brace does *not* cure this, although I think it made it slightly better.

I think the only answer, as has been mentionend previously, is not to take the hands off the bars.

..Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine wobbled with the trailwing front, but with the Conti Road Attack, no wobble, I can set my "po-boy throttle lock" and sit back with my arms folded across my chest and sail down the hi-way!!! Smooth....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine wobbled with the trailwing front, but with the Conti Road Attack, no wobble, I can set my "po-boy throttle lock" and sit back with my arms folded across my chest and sail down the hi-way!!! Smooth....
Mine doesn't wobble on the road, only when slowing down around 35 mph.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As a general rule, I don't ride with my hands off the bars, especially during deceleration. However, motorcyclists have worried about this since the beginning of time. Here's my two cents ....

tire inflatiion
tire tread
overloading the rear end - especially the box
loose steering head races

·
Registered
171 Posts
All bikes will do the hands off the bars decel wobble.

The speed at which it occurs will vary according to steering geometry, tires, suspension etc.

Try varing the tire pressure and make sure all suspension components are within spec. Try different tires when the current ones wear out.
Or cut the left side handlebar off and mount the clutch lever to whats left of the right side. That way, if you find yourself wanting to take your remaining hand of the *bar*, it's quick! Just one should do it. Or try it on a bend, with a friend.
Seriously, why do folks still insist on testing how good their bike is by doing this stupid stunt?:???:

·
Registered
113 Posts
decel wobble

What you are doing is dangerous. But I will try and explain a few things,
as Mountaintime05 said, decel wobbles occur and why. Deceleration continues to load the front tire, and just like a winding down gyroscope, wobbling is induced. This has nothing to do with you balancing the tire (although it could add wobble), your fork brace, or whatever. If you get wobbles with your hands on the bars or a very light touch-then there is an issue with something. Additionally, your motor has some crank inertia that is thrown into the mix on a hard/steady deceleration. Otherwise wobbles on deceleration can occur on any two wheeled vehicle including a bicycle. This is normal.

I don't recommend it, but you have to have a throttle lock or be out of gear in neutral to check it like that. VERY DANGEROUS.

If you are worried have your front tire balanced and make sure the pressure is correct. If you are really worried replace the tire.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I can tell you that a fork brace does *not* cure this, although I think it made it slightly better.

..Tom
Hmmm...well, I had the same problem when I first picked up my bike (gently used), so I had my mechanic do a once-over on it. Tire pressure was correct, tread wear was light (Trailwings), rims are straight, etc. Bike was tuned to perfection and I still had the wobble. Didn't like the stock treads, so I switched to Avon Distanzia's. Still had the wobble. Put on a Superbrace, voila! No wobble--at any speed.

So, I can tell you that a fork brace CAN cure the problem, because it did in my case. Certainly not saying it will in all instances, but it's an option.

I still go on record with the fork brace being one of the top 3 improvements that can be made on this bike (Sonic Springs and SS brake lines being the other two)...

My .03

·
Administrator
13,355 Posts
I really like my fork brace as well.. My slow speed wobble got a little less when I added the brace but in my case it didn't cure it. Maybe the combination of the new front tire *and* the brace did the trick.

..Tom

Hmmm...well, I had the same problem when I first picked up my bike (gently used), so I had my mechanic do a once-over on it. Tire pressure was correct, tread wear was light (Trailwings), rims are straight, etc. Bike was tuned to perfection and I still had the wobble. Didn't like the stock treads, so I switched to Avon Distanzia's. Still had the wobble. Put on a Superbrace, voila! No wobble--at any speed.

So, I can tell you that a fork brace CAN cure the problem, because it did in my case. Certainly not saying it will in all instances, but it's an option.

I still go on record with the fork brace being one of the top 3 improvements that can be made on this bike (Sonic Springs and SS brake lines being the other two)...

My .03

M

·
0 Posts
Had it with the trailwings, not with Metzler Lazertech, Bridgestone Bt020's, or Metzler Tourance tires. My money's on the Trailwings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts