StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested in hearing from owners of pre-'14 DL1000s who have bought the 2014 (or at least ridden it some distance at speed) regarding the general windage difference.

I'm not talking about the old "buffeting" complaints. I'm just talking about the overall "faring effect" (general air pocket flow around legs/torso) of the front bodywork as compared to the previous design.

Although oft-maligned (looks, breakability, bother to remove, etc.), the bodywork of the original Vs is nonetheless functional in that it's a nice compromise between a naked bike and a full fairing on the road. (I consider it one of the things that make a V-Strom unique.) For example, it makes winter riding (at least here in GA) much more tolerable than riding a bike with no fairing at all (like my DR650).

I wondered about the same thing regarding the DL650 when its styling was changed from the original design.

So I'm just curious about any difference in this regard the redesign has made relative to the original 1000--again, from riders who actually have experience on both, please.

JET

·
Registered
87 Posts
Compared to my 07 Wee, I feel less protection in the upper body on the Vee2. I have a stock windshield on the Vee2, but an oversize Givi on the Wee. Nonetheless, I think there is less protection on the Vee. Having said that, the difference is not that significant...and the Vee2 is so much superior in almost every way that the protection issue is not worth consideration. Get the Vee2..you will be very happy with it

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the Vee2..
Well, no, that's not gonna happen. I have an '07 DL1000; it's my second V-Strom 1000, it's all accessorized the way I like it, and I'm not really looking to go through all that again. If I were to decide to replace my DL1K, I'd probably go for a KTM 1190.

I'm just curious about the fairing effect of the '14 as compared to the original 1000.

JET

1 - 3 of 3 Posts