StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put together a Western North Carolina ride with fellow Stromtroopers, the Strom-Curious, Strom Spouses, Friends of Stroms, etc.

The exact time, route and start point will be determined by triangulating the addresses of the confirmed participants to a location within 40 miles of the Greater Etowah, NC Metro Area.

The ride will include Local Twisty Roads, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Unpaved Forest Service Roads, at least one Waterfall Viewing Stop and of course, a stop for Lunch.

I'd like to meet early in the morning of the 13th in a public location that serves breakfast and has well-maintained toilet facilities. Hopefully, we'll be able to get in a full day of riding, I'm thinking it might be 150 miles or so.

If you're interested, respond here and we'll eventually PM phone numbers and work out the details. For far-flung participants not wanting to do a ride before and after The Ride; there are lots of places to stay in the area including some nice Private and National Forest Campgrounds near Brevard, NC. (Cascade Lake, Pisgah Forest and Davidson River).

I'm looking forward to enjoying some fellowship with the folks whom I've met here.

Norm

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ride!

Hey Norm, my beautiful wife will be returning from Fl that week however I will try to make it. If you are free to ride this Sunday or Monday let me know.
Have a good one my friend.:D Mike D

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I can't confirm till a few days before, but i'm interested. I live in Bryson City.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim,

Do you know if you can you take Alarka Road up over Leatherman Gap?

Norm

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I haven't been on that road since I was about 15 years old. Maybe I can scout it out one afternoon this week.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't been on that road since I was about 15 years old. Maybe I can scout it out one afternoon this week.
Now, don't feel obligated to do this. I know what a chore exploring scenic areas on a motorcycle can be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wishful thinking

I'd love to join you Norm but I am scheduled to go back offshore the 14th.
Beautiful area there ridden through it several times. Gonna have to do it again soon too. How is the fishing in the local streams, able to catch a meal every day?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the fishing in the local streams, able to catch a meal every day?
It depends on how hungry you are.

Sorry to hear you're headed back out.

Stay safe.

Norm

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
no chance on taking that road across from Alarka. Not only are there gates and large boulders, but I do not think anyone would want to try their strom up those trails.

Well, i'm sure someone would, but I wouldn't encourage it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim,

Thanks for the update.
I hope it wan't too much trouble.

I did ride with my ADVrider buds from Frankin to Whittier over Leatherman Gap. It was fine and included a nice water crossing. Then they persuded me to follow their KTM's and DRZ's up to Fry Mountain, all this with stock Trailwings with about 6,000 miles.

We won't be doing anything like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nrom,

I'm glad someone is organizing a WNC group ride this summer. I would like to join you all. Last fall I joined you, msheron and Ashveegas for that frigid fall ride. It must have taken me a week to thaw out.

Let me know the details and I will be there.

Jim

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I have taken a drz up fry mountain, can't imagine lugging a vstrom up there.

we looking to go east, west, north, south? I'm itching to do parson's branch again. I did it pretty slow and thought it was an enjoyable ride.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alex,

Nice to hear from you. I've forgotten your screen name, I was considering hanging around the railyard and looking for your bike.

Did I see you saturday (July 5) near the Biltmore Square Mall on Hwy 191 at about 2:00 PM with about a half dozen other bikes?

I'll begin planning a route midweek.

If you have any requests or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry wasn't me I was at work been working too much with all the vacations need a good day in the saddle I think I posted an extra mess, not very good at this computer thing but Im learning

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have taken a drz up fry mountain, can't imagine lugging a vstrom up there.

we looking to go east, west, north, south? I'm itching to do parson's branch again. I did it pretty slow and thought it was an enjoyable ride.
Getting up there was the easy part.

Tim, I'm thinking East of you, most of the responders are in the Asheville area. I'd like to do Parson's but I don't think it will be this time.

I'd like to do some local roads, the BRP and some Forest Service Roads, nothing like Frye Mountain.

I'm going to post on ADVrider, too. But it will definately be a Strom-oriented ride.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Date: Sunday, July 13, 2008.

Time: 9:00 AM

Place: Mills River Restaurant. 4467 Boylston Highway, Mills River, NC 28742.

Intersection of Hwys 191 and 280.

Coming from I-26 go west 5 miles towards Brevard. During which, you'll pass the Asheville Regional Airport (R), WNC Ag Center (L) and a Jaguar/Range Rover Dealer (R). The Mills River Restaurant will be just past South Mills River Road on the Left.

It's right next door to a Gas station, across the street from a Food Lion, CVS and a Citco station with a Cash Points ATM. So we can all gas up, hydrate, etc. before we start. The restaurant starts serving breakfast a 6:00 AM, I checked, they're open on Sundays.

We'll leave after all the participants arrive. We know some of you far-flung folks may need a little extra time, but please try to be punctual, so we can get some miles in before we have to think about rain.

PM me with the cell number you plan to use Sunday, if you like and I'll send you mine.

This will be both pavement and gravel, but easy gravel.

See you Sunday,

Norm

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I may have been dreaming this, but I thought I heard on the radio there is some sort of Rib BBQ festival at the Ag Center. Might be a great option for an after ride meal. If I can find something i'll post it.

Weather and wife's plans will determine if I am there or not Sunday. I'll send you a message saturday if I can make it.

Even if I can't go, thanks for organizing this!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts