StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks . I am longing for a ride in what is probably my 2nd most favorite place in the US to ride . Next Sunday , 12/14 is ' looking ' to be some good weather so I say I am tentitive on riding from the Highlands/Cashiers area to north Georgia and back .

The route is adjustable of course but here is my thought . Hwy 28 out of Highlands on to Warwoman Road to Clayton Ga . 76W out of Clayton towards Lake Burton on hwy 197 . On to Helen via SR356 , then hwy 348 ( The Richard B. Russell Hwy " woohoo " ) . Hit hwy 129 and shoot south to Turners Corner . Double back up hwy 129 to Blairsville ( You gotta run on down to Turners to get the full effect of that section of 129 ) . Lunch can usually be had at the Turners Corner Cafe . I'll call ahead and see if they are still open for the season .

From Blairsville we can take the short cut northern route back to make some quicker time getting back home . You folks in SC can pick out a southern route to shoot you back hom on from Blairsville if you so choose . The qucik and dirty , but really nice northern route back would be taking 76 all the way back to Clayton then up 243/106 into Highlands .

Hey , this ain't a rock solid route for us , but this is an AWESOME ride if you have never done it . Enough twisties to scramble your brains and tons and tons of long fast sweepers . All mountain backroads . You dirt dobbers can pick out some routes if you like on the way home . There are surely plenty of them . If you want dirt road on the way back east and have never done Burrells Ford Road , you might like that dirt road ride along the river getting home .

Lemme know , PO

p.s. If you wanna see the route on a map , lmk and I'll post one up so you can see the route I am thinking on . This will be roughly 200 mile round trip from Lake Toxaway as a rough on how far some will get to ride .

again ..... PO

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For those of you who have never ridden these roads mentioned , I'll post up a vid or two .

Now look here ... I ain't no stinkin' speed demon so if yer expectin' knee draggin in the vids , you'll be bored a bit . BUT... the speeds in the vids are much faster then they apear . These vids are actually from my Versys .

YOutube deleted every single one of my vids , so I am having to re-upload them one at a time . So here is the 1st one until I get time to upload a couple more .

This is a short vid of Warwoman Road going the downhill direction . There is someon in the forum that can attest to the fact that this road can ger EXTREMELY exciting . I'll let him chime in and tell the story . LOL . Glad you're not hurt though .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSGE2iN8Wg

As soon as it uploads , this is a vid of a short section of 129 headed south to Turnere Corner Cafe .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgO7vJkhLMk

This a vid of one of my fav roads , Richard B. Russell Scenic Hwy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshVenIORZ4

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey folks ......... We can do this Saturday instead of Sunday if it works better for folks . Doesn't matter to me for sure . I'll work on mapping it out so people can print a topo map and get a better look at it .

PO

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reservations are filling up fast on this one , better hurry and reserve yourself a slot !!!!! Yeah right , LOL . Looking like another fine opportuntiy for a solo ride to NGA .

:var_39:

PO

·
Registered
295 Posts
Turners Corner is closed until Febuary. TWO is not far and has pretty decent food.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Shep and ga-surveyor for the input . I was afraid Turners Corner Cafe would be closed . The last time I was there was dead in the middle of the gas crisis . Kind of funny too . They were closed that day and I am assuming that they were assuming business would be off due to gas shortages . The funny part ...... Me and my riding bud were there right at noon and we stood under the apron of the cafe with ( I kid you not ) about 20 riders who had ridden there just to eat in rebellion of the gas crunch . We ended up eating at some place popular with the locals in Blairsville . Can't remember the name of it but a little country kitchen sort of place . The food was mediocre at best but din't go hungry which was the good news . the better news was that we found gas . LOL

I really like the ride over to Suches but with the time limits it is just a bit to far over the edge , I think . LOL You guys should meet up with us . Looks like there might be one other taker at this point . He just hasn't posted up yet . Gotta get kitchen pass points between now and then I am sure . LOL
We won't be blistering the roads . Just be in tour and see the sights mode is all .

I gotta tell ya , you north Ga guys make me pretty jealous of your riding territory . Folks say we have some of the best in the country here , but I like the NGA area second best in the US to the Southwestern states . .

PO

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
PO -- Please post the route. It sounds like a winner. Doubtful I can make it this weekend, but as new wee owner, this kind of ride is just what I'm looking for. THANKS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Poke,
I'm here freezing in Asheville, wondering when my next ride will be...

Sounds like you have a good plan, although I don't trust the weather until I read the forecast the day before. At any rate, Sat or Sun will be good for me, the warmer the day the better.

If you're coming to the Adv dinner Thursday, then we can chat there.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I might could swing it Sunday, but Saturday is booked.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm in

I can ride Saturday if home by 4ish. I must be there when guests arrive for the whining, drooling and leg humping. Then I have to introduce the dogs to the guests. A k-9 dad's work is never done. Sunday is also good for me with no time restrictions.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hmm..

[watching thread intensely, twiddling thumbs.. Maybe, just maybe I can slip away unnoticed...]

:wink1: :var_17:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd love to go but, gotta work. Be careful theres alotta sand on the road as of Tuesday, but the rain may wash it all away before you get there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So P-S,

Is it on? What time and where exactly do meet Sunday, assuming it's on.:D

I say let's make it happen . Meet in Cashiers at the Exxon at the red light . On the left side of the building . In other words , on the same side of the building that 64 heads towards Highlands . Savvy ???

PO

·
Registered
12 Posts
I say let's make it happen . Meet in Cashiers at the Exxon at the red light . On the left side of the building . In other words , on the same side of the building that 64 heads towards Highlands . Savvy ???

PO
Ok, on the directions. And at what time?

Here's what I am reading about the weather.
According to National Weather Service

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Clayton&state=GA&site=GSP&textField1=34.8774&textField2=-83.4009&e=1

Even at Clayton, Ga there is a 20% chance of rain, and with an expected high of 48 degrees, same as Asheville. At that temperature I'd like to see the % chance drop a little as very cold rain doesn't have that special "fun" factor :bom_shout: for me.
So let me check back with you on Saturday evening for an update, and give the final yeah/nay on my part.

According to Google Maps, I have an 1 1/2 hour ride (58 miles) from Asheville to Cashiers. So when would you like to leave Cashiers?

If all looks good ref: weather, so I'd actually go :confused:, probably I'd like to leave Asheville early and meet you for breakfast in Cashiers (or nearby ) just to warm up some. Otherwise, that will be a rather long day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok folks . I am longing for a ride in what is probably my 2nd most favorite place in the US to ride . Next Sunday , 12/14 is ' looking ' to be some good weather so I say I am tentitive on riding from the Highlands/Cashiers area to north Georgia and back .

The route is adjustable of course but here is my thought . Hwy 28 out of Highlands on to Warwoman Road to Clayton Ga . 76W out of Clayton towards Lake Burton on hwy 197 . On to Helen via SR356 , then hwy 348 ( The Richard B. Russell Hwy " woohoo " ) . Hit hwy 129 and shoot south to Turners Corner . Double back up hwy 129 to Blairsville ( You gotta run on down to Turners to get the full effect of that section of 129 ) . Lunch can usually be had at the Turners Corner Cafe . I'll call ahead and see if they are still open for the season .

From Blairsville we can take the short cut northern route back to make some quicker time getting back home . You folks in SC can pick out a southern route to shoot you back hom on from Blairsville if you so choose . The qucik and dirty , but really nice northern route back would be taking 76 all the way back to Clayton then up 243/106 into Highlands .

Hey , this ain't a rock solid route for us , but this is an AWESOME ride if you have never done it . Enough twisties to scramble your brains and tons and tons of long fast sweepers . All mountain backroads . You dirt dobbers can pick out some routes if you like on the way home . There are surely plenty of them . If you want dirt road on the way back east and have never done Burrells Ford Road , you might like that dirt road ride along the river getting home .

Lemme know , PO

p.s. If you wanna see the route on a map , lmk and I'll post one up so you can see the route I am thinking on . This will be roughly 200 mile round trip from Lake Toxaway as a rough on how far some will get to ride .

again ..... PO

Move to Alabama and I'll Ride With Ya!

:mrgreen:

BTW - Glad you survived your propane fiasco
:devil_26:

:var_39: No Smoking.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Motomixon ,

you'd be correct on the time travel from Asheville to Cashiers . That's a good haul . Directions to Cashiers would be... Where ever you are to Asheville Airport on hwy 280 . Continue west on 280 until it turns into hwy 64 . 64 west to Brevard . Continue on 64 west from Brevard and just keep on trucking till you see the Exxon at the crossroads of hwy 64/107 .

Although , I am sort of thinking that it would really be a hec of a long haul for you . If you or some others feel like riding in SC and meeting somewhere more feasable , say in the middle , I'd be up for that. I was really just wanting to ride and go to warmer temps . The North Georgia ride is awesome for sure but will still be there this summer . I'd hate for one rider to have to hot seat it all the way over here while others just sort of were already enroute from the front door .

Let me know what ya think . Maybe we could meet in Brevard and run down into SC and just dink around down there fooling around with maps and just hunt down a lunch spot with no particulat plan . Hec , I am just up for riding , don't really care where . Some of the ADV Dinner crowd are also planning a nice ride . Not sure how much dirt though . I don't have bars or skid plate on the Strom yet , so I am avoiding dirt as much as possible till I get it set up . I'd hate to drive a thrown rock through something or lay it doan with no bars on it . I know , I know , I'm a wuss but I really don't want to tear her up considering I want her ready for a good trip out west this spring . LOL .

Lemme know , PO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Motomixon ,

you'd be correct on the time travel from Asheville to Cashiers . That's a good haul . Directions to Cashiers would be... Where ever you are to Asheville Airport on hwy 280 . Continue west on 280 until it turns into hwy 64 . 64 west to Brevard . Continue on 64 west from Brevard and just keep on trucking till you see the Exxon at the crossroads of hwy 64/107 .

Although , I am sort of thinking that it would really be a hec of a long haul for you . If you or some others feel like riding in SC and meeting somewhere more feasable , say in the middle , I'd be up for that. I was really just wanting to ride and go to warmer temps . The North Georgia ride is awesome for sure but will still be there this summer . I'd hate for one rider to have to hot seat it all the way over here while others just sort of were already enroute from the front door .

Let me know what ya think . Maybe we could meet in Brevard and run down into SC and just dink around down there fooling around with maps and just hunt down a lunch spot with no particulat plan . Hec , I am just up for riding , don't really care where . Some of the ADV Dinner crowd are also planning a nice ride . Not sure how much dirt though . I don't have bars or skid plate on the Strom yet , so I am avoiding dirt as much as possible till I get it set up . I'd hate to drive a thrown rock through something or lay it doan with no bars on it . I know , I know , I'm a wuss but I really don't want to tear her up considering I want her ready for a good trip out west this spring . LOL .

Lemme know , PO
Sorry for the delay.
Ok, let's do this.
Let's meet in Brevard, where 276 goes south from 64. Turn on to 276 and pull off at the first safe place on the right. Let's meet at 9:30 am.

I'll either be on my yellow Wee or blue BMW GS. (My apologies to everyone here :rolleyes: ).

I understand your concern ref: lack of protection on the dirt. That oil cooler on my DL650 looks like a an easy target for any little thing being kicked up --- and how would THAT crumple the fun factor, oozing oil until the engine was dry. :bom_thumbsdown:

By the way, have you seen what the temps will be like on Wednesday?? If you can take off work :biggrin: , we should try the Helen, GA trip then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts